Ideas: dropped well pump

My dad's house (now sold) has a gas water heater. The gas water heater is plumbed to the gas line with black pipe coming out of the gas valve about a foot off the floor. This horizontal gas pipe runs another 2.5 feet where it makes a 90 degree turn and continues another 4 feet where it connects to the vertical gas pipe by the furnace.

That's over 6 feet of gas pipe running about a foot off the floor with NO support except for at either end.

Always wondered two things:

1)What would happen if someone stepped or fell on that gas pipe (at the 90 degree turn it's nearly a foot and a half from the wall).

2)Who thought that was an OK way to run to the pipe. (I already know WHY they thought it was an OK way to run the pipe--that's the way they roll in Manassas, Virginia. Git 'r' done!)
Whenever running gas line one should use swings...2 elbows instead of one to give some flex to the system. If a hanger comes out cause of 100 lbs of clothes hanging on it the gas line it will pivot on the elbows instead of breaking off at the threads. Also don't tighten the fittings with all ones strength so they can pivot if necessary.

A neighbor asked me for an idea. Seems that he dropped 400ft of 1.5in pipe with a pump on the end down his well.

Well is 650ft deep so the top piece of pipe is 250 ft below the surface.

I'm thinking of some sort of hook to hook onto the wires somehow.
Any update on your neighbor retrieving the pump? Was this for farming or Primary residence potable water?

And much curiosity on what happened to cause the loss of the pump and piping ? Did the tripod jack give out or fall over? Did a splice let go?

Any update on your neighbor retrieving the pump? Was this for farming or Primary residence potable water?

And much curiosity on what happened to cause the loss of the pump and piping ? Did the tripod jack give out or fall over? Did a splice let go?
Primary residence. Have not been back there this week due to work.

Start with a camera/scope down there. Maybe one of the sewer pipe inspector guys that is local can at least do that… granted the well would be getting contaminated by that unless it is very well cleaned and sanitized.

But around here you can get hundreds of feet of sewer line scoped for tree roots. So then you can at least know depth, what the pile of wire looks like, etc.

Back