Ideas: dropped well pump

A neighbor asked me for an idea. Seems that he dropped 400ft of 1.5in pipe with a pump on the end down his well.

Well is 650ft deep so the top piece of pipe is 250 ft below the surface.

I'm thinking of some sort of hook to hook onto the wires somehow.

Odd, should have had wiring on it to pull it up. Call the Well and Pump guys. my drilled well pump is only 120ft down thankfully.

I would think if you send a rope down with a small hook and sinker on it on it and circle it around the plastic pipe, you should be able to create a "chinese finger trap" to pull it up - but that's pretty far down.

Reactions: JC1
I was hoping engineer20 had some insight from the Powerbait thread, but it seems he just left it in there.

I doubt the wires would lift all that weight. A Google search turns up special tools for this expensive dilemma:

You er right doit. I should have said steel braided cable for a deep drilled well. #6/3 should have decent tensile but not for 400' of 1-1/4" drop poly with a 1-1/2 horse pump and a cast check. Just the wire is a couple hundred pounds!

This is very interesting. I wish I had an idea but hope you can keep us up to date on this.
A neighbor asked me for an idea. Seems that he dropped 400ft of 1.5in pipe with a pump on the end down his well.

Well is 650ft deep so the top piece of pipe is 250 ft below the surface.

I'm thinking of some sort of hook to hook onto the wires somehow.

As I remember when I pulled the pump from the well where I used to live when I dropped it back into the well I tied some 1/4 or 3/8" nylon rope around the pump so if it got dropped I had a tag line that would stay above ground level to pull it back up with.. I know this doesn't help him this time but would be a good idea to keep in mind if he ever has to pull the pump again. My pump was at a depth of about 375'. I was using black plastic water service pipe so it wasn't extremely heavy.

Was all the wire still connected to the pump? If so, there will be > 250' of wire piled onto the top of the pipe. That's assuming the pump was 600' deep while operating. He will have to figure out how to grab the wire and pull it up, then he could possibly use the pipe grip tool mentioned above. 250' of wire is going to be very heavy and it won't be in a neat coil. Trying to get a very strong clamp around the wire from 250' away without a camera is going to be pretty hard to do. 400 feet of well pipe and the pump are going to be very heavy. Well companies know how to do this and have the correct tools. Without the proper tools, gravity just might win this one.

Last edited:
He may have to expand his search for a well driller. They will travel but of course that is going to cost him more $$.

Start calling well companies from several states away. Sounds like an emergency situation and should be able to find someone. It will cost $$$ to fix.

Start calling well companies from several states away. Sounds like an emergency situation and should be able to find someone. It will cost $$$ to fix.
Ha! You do know that California won't allow older non emissions compliant trucks in the state? Most well trucks are old jalopies! We are over 200 miles from the nearest border state. Imagine driving one of those junkers 200+ miles 1 way to a job

In 1976 my brother and I thought it was pretty neat to listen to the echoing sound of small rocks being dropped down our well. In 1977 my folks had a new well drilled, because the old well was shallow and going dry. When the well company tried to pull the one year old pump out of the old well so that it could go into the new well, it was jammed and they couldn't get it out. To this day the one year old pump is at the bottom of the old well.
My folks were very unimpressed with our "fun" of dropping rocks down the old well, very.

Last edited:
Back