Ideas: dropped well pump

Ha! You do know that California won't allow older non emissions compliant trucks in the state? Most well trucks are old jalopies! We are over 200 miles from the nearest border state. Imagine driving one of those junkers 200+ miles 1 way to a job

This calls for improvisation. The cable that was lowering this pump is probably not as far down as you might think. You need a camera with a light and something to grasp the cable. A tripod or similar setup with a pulley and a good length of wire rope. A winch. You will have to see what you have down there to figure out how to pull on it.

So first you need to know how far. It might be only 50 or 100 feet? That you can find out with a camera that can be lowered. After that develop a plan.

Ha! You do know that California won't allow older non emissions compliant trucks in the state? Most well trucks are old jalopies! We are over 200 miles from the nearest border state. Imagine driving one of those junkers 200+ miles 1 way to a job
Do you require aftertreatment on oil fired furnaces? Or are they outright banned?

I say this as I watch the diesel smoke out my chimney.

The cable that was lowering this pump is probably not as far down as you might think. ...
So first you need to know how far. It might be only 50 or 100 feet? ...
My cable and wire are tied to the drop pipe every so many feet. Guessing this is a regional code. Don't want 220 or 3p
chafing against the casing if its iron.

How did you drop it? What were you doing? No way could you pull that pump and pipe by hand.

A well guy told me they have ways of getting out a dropped pump. Even if you could hook it yourself you cannot pull the pump out without a machine?

Some things that you do infrequently and where mistakes can be costly are best left to the pros.

How did you drop it? What were you doing? No way could you pull that pump and pipe by hand.

A well guy told me they have ways of getting out a dropped pump. Even if you could hook it yourself you cannot pull the pump out without a machine?

Some things that you do infrequently and where mistakes can be costly are best left to the pros.
Was probably trying to save a few bucks and replace it himself.

I think I would buy a new pump and wire and pipe and forget the old one. The cost is probably going to be less to replace it than to get the old one retrieved and what if it broke when it fell that far. . I would bite the bullet and just consider that with a new pump I would expect a longer service life than with the dropped old one.

My cable and wire are tied to the drop pipe every so many feet. Guessing this is a regional code. Don't want 220 or 3p
chafing against the casing if its iron.

It’s been years since I dealt with this sort of thing. My well pump had a plastic pipe attached along with the electrical and I guess a pulling cable attached. Both were attached to the plastic water pipe at regular intervals just as you mentioned. The electrical cable had a thick insulation cover which in my guess was specific for the situation.

So I’m confused in this situation. Did the water pipe break or the cable that lowered the pump? And was all this cabling and electrical attached to the pipe?

Wasn't me! I was just asked about giving them an idea to get it out.

A neighbor asked me for an idea. Seems that he dropped 400ft of 1.5in pipe with a pump on the end down his well.

Well is 650ft deep so the top piece of pipe is 250 ft below the surface.

I'm thinking of some sort of hook to hook onto the wires somehow.
Probably heard you have a mine shaft on your property and figured, what the heck, who would know better then Chris?

Do you require aftertreatment on oil fired furnaces? Or are they outright banned?

Don't know about oil fired furnaces, but they did require NOX control rods on natural gas furnaces, and Consolidated/Premier furnaces used a design which caused overheating and fires. Big problem in the 80s and 90s.

That deep a well is in the aquafer, so the old pump and wires are laying at the bottom of a, who knows how deep, water pool. Start over but you'll need to know how far it is to water, a spool of string with a nut/weight will tell you that part.

1668544321842.jpg

Does that stink real bad?

Having lived in Tennessee all my life, I’ve never even seen a house with an oil-fired furnace. Completely foreign to me.

I hate diesel smoke.

Can you smell diesel smoke and fumes from the furnace? I’m assuming so, if you can see actual smoke coming out of the chimney.

???. It's 20 ft sections that are screwed together

It had a cable but that went with it lol
I guess the cable pulls from the bottom too? Must be around a ton of stuff all jammed up down there after 250' fall.... I assume the pros must lower a camera down there to see what to send down to down and what there is to grab. 100's of feet of cable must jam up if you try to pull from the pipe?
Now I'm trying remember what we did for our well, its only 130' deep so I think we just lowered the pump down on the poly pipe and made sure our clamps were tight!

Back