Ideal Instrument Panel

A couple of things that bother me in modern automotive gauges... is not accurately displaying information. (you have one job!)
In both my FRS and my Silverado, when coming up to temperature, the temp gauges read erroneously in comparison to OBD readings. These temp gauges also will not show a hot reading until you're are well past normal operating temperature. The oil pressure gauge also only moves the tiniest bit around 40 psi, regardless of oil temp. What is the point of taking the time, money, and effort to include these gauges when all you send them is BS information?

*steps off of soapbox*

I’m ok with any as long as they aren’t digital I like analog. And I hate manual cars without a tachometer both my manual cars don’t have a tach and since I believe in only having stock vehicles I won’t add one in. But yeah as long as it isn’t digital I’m fine my moms car has that digital stuff but I don’t care because I’m not allowed to drive it neither is my dad so we don’t care at all lol 😂. I don’t mind if the odometer is digital because only two of our cars have analog on those so I’m ok with that being digital.

So what do you like? You’re going back and forth like a pendulum.

If you drive a manual for any length of time you will go by sound rather than staring at the tach. In fact a good manual driver will know what the tach reading is without looking.

So what do you like? You’re going back and forth like a pendulum.

If you drive a manual for any length of time you will go by sound rather than staring at the tach. In fact a good manual driver will know what the tach reading is without looking.
I prefer a tach because sometimes with the wind or road noise you can’t hear how high it’s revving.

A couple of things that bother me in modern automotive gauges... is not accurately displaying information. (you have one job!)
In both my FRS and my Silverado, when coming up to temperature, the temp gauges read erroneously in comparison to OBD readings. These temp gauges also will not show a hot reading until you're are well past normal operating temperature. The oil pressure gauge also only moves the tiniest bit around 40 psi, regardless of oil temp. What is the point of taking the time, money, and effort to include these gauges when all you send them is BS information?

*steps off of soapbox*
In this case the gauges are essentially idiot lights. Some, in not most manufacturers damp them to some extent to lessen warranty visits...

My first car was a Triumph and my Dad had a Fox body Mustang. We noticed that the TR6's gauge would read near 100psi cold, drop to 15 hot and follow revolutions. The Mustang would start and stay at mid scale, very rarely rising to 2/3 scale on a brutally cold start.

A few years later, I am in a marketing class and this is used as an example; real gauge fluctuations were causing some warranty visits. Going to essentially yes/no or limited movement gauges reduced this and probably saved a few cents per car.

This is the perfect mix of analogue and digital IMO. Gets dark enough for me at night (which is almost off) but is also bright enough to read in broad daylight.

Vehicle info gives me coolant, trans and oil temp as well as oil PSI in both individual gauge form as well as a summary page. It also shows individual tire pressure, battery voltage, idle and drive hours, and remaining oil life according to the monitor. Also has a digital speedometer if that’s your thing, trip a and b, and fuel economy.
A5B8695A-8B46-4187-AADF-B453AC1A6FDC.jpeg

Back