Ideal Instrument Panel

My search for a new DD is reminding me how much I dislike many current panels, or better said, displays. Got me thinking of the best panel I ever saw, a Bristol in the UK years ago: everything you need, right in front of you, simple, easy to read at a glance.

What's yours?

(pic from SLJ, a UK dealer)
SiteAssetImage.jpg

My search for a new DD is reminding me how much I dislike many current panels, or better said, displays. Got me thinking of the best panel I ever saw, a Bristol in the UK years ago: everything you need, right in front of you, simple, easy to read at a glance.

What's yours?

(pic from SLJ, a UK dealer)
View attachment 40197
A gentleman's car!

I always preferred analog gauges and any panel which is not "lit" during the daytime.

I swear more people who drive with their lights off have panels which are constantly lit.

Some of my favorites are below. Common themes are the central focal point being the tachometer, with ancillary gauges flanking both sides.

Attachments

• LFA Gauges.jpg
    LFA Gauges.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • LF 3S Gauges.jpg
    LF 3S Gauges.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 16
I really liked the simplicity of the gen1 Volvo S60 dash, from gauge pack to center stack. Early VW products tantalizing with the first blue color scheme I saw. The bmw red background means so much business.

the one that was hypnotic, however, was the ‘57 Chevy bel air. It was very simple, but there were green “windows” beneath the gas and temp gauges which cast that “old car green” over the metal switches below, and it did it evenly and ghost-like. it was very simple, but had an ambience.

chrysler was getting a lot of things right in their “light each and every single button and control” in the late 90’s.

I have a soft spot for the aesthetics of some of Japanese cars' dashboards of the early years (1970s). The Datsun 240Z nailed it.

My ideal (non-existent) car would have:
- analog gauges (rather than idiot lights)
- an undamped temperature gauge with actual numbers rather than just "C" and "H"
- a voltmeter or an ammeter (or, in my dream world, both)
- an oil-pressure gauge

I’m ok with any as long as they aren’t digital I like analog. And I hate manual cars without a tachometer both my manual cars don’t have a tach and since I believe in only having stock vehicles I won’t add one in. But yeah as long as it isn’t digital I’m fine my moms car has that digital stuff but I don’t care because I’m not allowed to drive it neither is my dad so we don’t care at all lol 😂. I don’t mind if the odometer is digital because only two of our cars have analog on those so I’m ok with that being digital.

This is the gauge cluster on our previous 2020 Jetta, the new one is the same. Clear and easy to read, with all necessary information available at your fingertips. Two thumbs up from me!

Attachments

• P12b2lrFTOS+vbMJ+OdKdw.jpg
    P12b2lrFTOS+vbMJ+OdKdw.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4
Back