ID for buying Booze

It is because the laws and penalties in the USA are very harsh if you serve an underage person. For this reason most servers ask for ID for everyone to be safe....you know we got 14yr olds that look 21+ and if you serve that minor you are in a world of trouble in the USA. Hope that answers your question lol

Yeah, a couple offenses will lose you your liquor license in NY, though money and pull are also factors. But it is a bit ridiculous as I had a clerk at a local gas chain basically say sorry because we have to ID even people we know now because of one incident.

I don't know if the laws changed but they used to ask anyone that looked under 50 if they were "underage" or under 30. A simple "no" absolved them of any liability because undercover pinkertons are not supposed to lie...

RC Cola with rum from the supermarket and a motorcycle that I secretly kept at an older friend's house at age 12. The Cuba Libre in the UK, the bike in the US. I didn't mix the two. 🤣
I had to leave my parent's house to buy a Honda 350 Scrambler. A friend borrowed it, against my wishes, and totaled it.

What is really funny is you don't need an ID to vote.
They ask for an I.D. in my town for some reason. Doenst matter really. It's a small town and the volunteers know just about everyone. I say Hi Holly to the asst. town clerk in the gym and she checks me off and hands me a ballot. No double voting or deceased voting here.
Well, maybe a few walking dead sneek by ...

I was 19 in the Army and regularly bought beer and even liquor on post, off post I was old enough to get shot for my country but too young for a beer...

We're trending towards moving adulthood to 21 in almost everything. Some things are just lagging behind.

My theory is that the children of lawmakers are not working jobs and taking on adult responsibilities before 21, so that's why we are getting these laws.

I can't relate since I worked summer jobs throughout high school and worked while I was going to technical college to pay for it.

It had more to do with the push against drunk driving, which I get. But when I was a kid 18 was the legal age here, then briefly it was 19 before the FHA began threatening to deny funding to any state where the legal age was under 21...

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act#:~:text=§ 158) was passed by,highway apportionment by 10 percent.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. § 158) was passed by the United States Congress and was later signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on July 17, 1984.[1][2][3] The act would punish any state that allowed persons under 21 years to purchase alcoholic beverages by reducing its annual federal highway apportionment by 10 percent. The law was later amended, lowering the penalty to 8 percent from fiscal year 2012 and beyond.[4]

Despite its name, this act did not outlaw the consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under 21 years of age, just their purchase or public possession. However, Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, New Hampshire, and West Virginia, extended the law into an outright ban. The minimum purchase and drinking ages is a state law, and most states still permit "underage" consumption of alcohol in some circumstances. In some states, no restriction on private consumption is made, while in other states, consumption is only allowed in specific locations, in the presence of consenting and supervising family members, as in the states of Colorado, Maryland, Montana, New York, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Some states even allow persons under 21 years of age to drink alcohol in public places, such as in Ohio, Texas, Massachusetts and Louisiana as long as the parent or guardian consents to it and is the one that buys the alcohol and is at least 21 years old. The act also does not seek to criminalize alcohol consumption during religious occasions (e.g., communion wines, Kiddush).

The act was expressly upheld as constitutional in 1987 by the United States Supreme Court in South Dakota v. Dole.

In high school my good friend was a checker at a grocery store. Back then the requirement for ID'ing for alcohol way looser but he told me he usually asked the little old ladies for ID because most of them loved it. "Bless you, sonny!"

It had more to do with the push against drunk driving, which I get. But when I was a kid 18 was the legal age here, then briefly it was 19 before the FHA began threatening to deny funding to any state where the legal age was under 21...

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act#:~:text=§ 158) was passed by,highway apportionment by 10 percent.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. § 158) was passed by the United States Congress and was later signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on July 17, 1984.[1][2][3] The act would punish any state that allowed persons under 21 years to purchase alcoholic beverages by reducing its annual federal highway apportionment by 10 percent. The law was later amended, lowering the penalty to 8 percent from fiscal year 2012 and beyond.[4]

Despite its name, this act did not outlaw the consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under 21 years of age, just their purchase or public possession. However, Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, New Hampshire, and West Virginia, extended the law into an outright ban. The minimum purchase and drinking ages is a state law, and most states still permit "underage" consumption of alcohol in some circumstances. In some states, no restriction on private consumption is made, while in other states, consumption is only allowed in specific locations, in the presence of consenting and supervising family members, as in the states of Colorado, Maryland, Montana, New York, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Some states even allow persons under 21 years of age to drink alcohol in public places, such as in Ohio, Texas, Massachusetts and Louisiana as long as the parent or guardian consents to it and is the one that buys the alcohol and is at least 21 years old. The act also does not seek to criminalize alcohol consumption during religious occasions (e.g., communion wines, Kiddush).

The act was expressly upheld as constitutional in 1987 by the United States Supreme Court in South Dakota v. Dole.

Wisconsin allows consumption by a minor in a bar or restaurant if you are with a parent or guardian. It also allows purchase under the same conditions. This includes a spouse under 21 if the partner is 21 or over. This is likely the most liberal in the nation, especially the purchase part. Several attempts have been made to incorporate additional restrictions to the law but all have failed.

Possession, consumption, purchase, or procurement of alcohol beverages by an underage person is illegal, unless an exception applies. An underage person that is accompanied by a parent, guardian, or spouse of legal drinking age may possess, consume, purchase, or procure alcohol beverages. Additionally, alcohol beverages may be sold or served to accompanied underage persons in any licensed premises, at the discretion of the licensee.

Wisconsin allows consumption by a minor in a bar or restaurant if you are with a parent or guardian. It also allows purchase under the same conditions. This includes a spouse under 21 if the partner is 21 or over. This is likely the most liberal in the nation, especially the purchase part. Several attempts have been made to incorporate additional restrictions to the law but all have failed.

Pretty much the same here, but certainly not advertised. A couple places I go won't even let minors at the bar even with parents. One place will not let anyone under 30 in after 10pm (bars can be open until 4am here, few actually are open that late)...

Scanning “your” barcode isn’t to verify your age. It’s to track your consumption. Won’t be long before health (and auto, for that matter) insurance companies start tracking consumption of everything they deem harmful to health and adjust your rates accordingly.

“Oh, we see your ID barcode was scanned at a bar 14 miles from your house and you had 5 beers in an hour, and we tracked your phone and car while you drove back to your house. There were no other cell signals tracking with your vehicle movement, so we know it was you. Here’s your DUI fine & notice of your license revocation. Click here if you’d like to round up to the next dollar to donate to the political party in power.”
Can a tip feature be added for if they feel the county clerk did a good job with the bail processing?

How do they know who signed it?

They don't but the poll workers I've seen are diligent, and stealing a vote is a pretty low payoff crime and study after study show that illegal voting is rare and mostly done out of ignorance (ie moved to a different district but voted in their old address area.) Most actual crimes involve fraud and misinformation aimed at suppressing the vote...

When I was in the Army, it was 18 on Post but again, not advertised. Some of the E-clubs served low alcohol beer along with the real stuff...

They don't but the poll workers I've seen are diligent, and stealing a vote is a pretty low payoff crime and study after study show that illegal voting is rare and mostly done out of ignorance (ie moved to a different district but voted in their old address area.) Most actual crimes involve fraud and misinformation aimed at suppressing the vote...
There isn't really anything to be diligent about. Where I vote, the sweet 80 year old lady opens the book to a name and I sign and they hand me a ballot.
Somehow the "if it stops one crime or saves one person it is worth it" crowd doesn't care about votes, which is more important IMO.

I always think it's funny how in the USA they ask you for your id anywhere when buying alcohol even if you are obviously +21.

Here in Spain you can even buy alcohol in the self check out area of supermarkets and nobody asks for Id's , the attendant at the self check out just looks at you and decides, people usually don't ask for id unless you really look like you might not be 18.

I could see maybe it makes sense if the person is young but being asked to show id when you already have gray hair seems silly.
Hope i don't make anyone angry.
It's like we've lost the plot when it comes to "Land of the Free" isn't it?

I was 19 in the Army and regularly bought beer and even liquor on post, off post I was old enough to get shot for my country but too young for a beer...
When I was 18 just out of boot camp went to NAS Alameda, they had beer machines in the barracks, 2 bits a can, never had enough quarters. 🍻

Back