I want to drive across country with 7 comfortably. Can an Excursion 7.3 do it?

Around here, they are used to haul construction crews and their trailers and are beat to death. Some of my parents family friends bought one new and had to haul it to the junkyard because of rust although I’m not too familiar with frame rust. The FIL has a 2003 F350 that’s pretty mint minus some bed rust. I think he’s at around 120k. Bought it new, but it stays outside.

Finding one of these in clean condition would be nice and I’d totally go for it, but it’ll be $$$ and rare. Much like a clean TJ Rubicon.

*I agree with renting a S‘Bourbon. $1700-ish will be cheaper in the long run for sure if all your wanting it for is just this trip.

I have had a few 7.3s. I would NOT enjoy listening to that diesel engine on a vacation.

When/if things go wrong... its expensive..

The Excursion 7.3 was only sold for 3.5 yrs.. no idea how many were produced but its not alot.

This. The super duty with the 7.3L is one of my favorite trucks to drive, and I put a decent amount of miles on one during high school working on a farm. With that said they are noisy, and not a vehicle I'd want to drive cross-country. Those trucks are all at least 17 years old now, and driving one that far reliably would require a decent amount of work to get it up to par, never mind the fact that decent condition trucks go for big money.

I would love a full size four wheel drive van, but every time I see one the seller is like...
View attachment 31596
Lol. I have seen really clean 7.3 sports mobile conversion vans for 80k or more. Its really nuts.
You can order a new GM van and have it Quigleyd in the upper 40s. I would like a short wheel base 2021 6.6 gas crew van 4x4 as the ultimate little camper vehicle. Not bad enough to order one though.

Some Nissan dealers take the NV vans and put all the Titan 4x4 parts on and sell for about 50k.

GM could sell tons of vans if they just put factory 4x4 as an option instead of letting Quigley and others collect 12k

If you are flexible in time and okay with potential breakdown go for it. Clearly you need a workover before setting off. A good friend has the vehicle you'd want and it seems to be continuous DIY for himself.He loves diesels and owns the Excursion, Isuzu Trooper from dawn of time, and a pair of recent sweet Audi TDI's (Q5 and A7).

Looking at some of the prices out there, it does seem like crazy money for a really old vehicle. Try a Mercedes GL550. Those are just a few thousand more but are way newer. The 2010-2011 models are in the $13-$14k range and they do seat 7. If you got a 2014+, you could have heated and cooled cupholders. It's only 5.5 liters and it's gas and uses premium, they had a diesel version but it's a much smaller engine. There was also a GL450 that had a smaller V8 engine but I guess if you want towing, probably the GL550 although they're both rated for 7500 pounds.

In all reality though, I have been looking into buying a used commercial bus for my family of 7. The prices are way better than an suv and way roomier. Even a 15 passenger van would be a better option plus they can tow.

"They're not really buses. They are giant boxes into which you throw money"

-a friend of mine who owns an 80s Prevost.

Ford Excursion with 6.8L V10 gas and 4x4 is worth a look. It is not fast by any means, same as stock 7.3L diesel. It will pull anything you hook up to it. Gas engines in general are always cheaper to repair than diesels, if anything does go wrong. It gets 8mpg if you are in 2WD and empty, but it also gets 8mpg if you are fully loaded, with a fully loaded trailer, going up a hill. Don't know how that works... Did hit 10-12mpg on occasion, and never had any issues with the drivetrain/powertrain. It was used as a shop truck, pedal to the metal all day long, loaded or empty, never skipped a beat. Just oil changes, ATF changes, and spark plugs. Had 190k miles on it last time I drove it in 2014. Just saw it still running a couple months ago, don't know the current mileage, but new owner said it's still on the factory engine and transmission. Quite a reliable beast, which (for us) outweighted the fuel thirst.

P.S. That v10 sounds amazing with little exhaust work. And apparently responds to forced induction really well, according to youtube folks making 800ft/lbs+ on 6psi of boost.

To find one that hasnt been molested by some wannabe smoke blower or beat to death is rare. Even when they look in semi decent shape the price is nuts.
Quick look on the internet in a big truck/SUV market … they all have 175k to 260k … not what I’d buy to go long haul loaded with people & gear … different if you did the PM’s and repairs and knew the vehicle …
Some are on car lots where you’d want a CCL license to shop there 👀

How on-board are the other six people with this adventure?

Diesel's cheap because people aren't flying, freeing up distillate. Prices range from $2.05 to $3.39 my way. Oddly wide spread.

I would go for a rental Chrysler Pacifica or Dodge Grand Caravan - I am thinking the long haul comfort of these would exceed those of 7 passenger body on frame SUV's. Getting into the 3rd row of a 7 passenger SUV is worse than getting into the back of a van.

An old Excursion Diesel would be a bad idea IMO.
1. It is a 3/4 ton truck and it rides like a 3/4 ton truck.
2. The 7.3L powerstroke is a very good engine, but it is very noisy, and if it breaks down it will be VERY expensive to get repaired.
3. It is thirsty, figure about 12 mpg on the highway (14 max on flat terrain if you are really careful), and diesel fuel is still quite a bit more expensive than gasoline out on the road.
4. Finding a really good 17+ year old Excursion Diesel for a reasonable price is going to be a challenge at this point.
5. Something else to consider is tires. Excursions used load range E tires. Good load range E tires are expensive.
As others have said, you would be better off renting a Suburban, a full-size passenger van, or a minivan. A minivan will be the most economical option. Furthermore, a new vehicle is going to be a much safer vehicle for your family to travel in as well.

Last edited:
Goodluck finding an Excursion that is in good enough condition to do that trip.Most are long junked.Im sure there is a gem out there but expect to pay like its brand new if its mint.Otherwise good luck and have fun

So we have a 2000 F250 w/ 7.3. The idea of towing a heavy load with it is... daunting. Maybe they were top of the heap when they were new. You'd also be amazed at how thirsty a 7.3 is in stock form.
I had to literally live in a clapped out 6sp 7.3 dually for a couple months hauling cars. 24/7 overloaded passing every single weigh station in america with no CDL is not something I wanna do again.

Many years ago when my kids were young we had vans, the basic ones were fairly affordable. Then I decided we'd upgrade, so I bought a smaller conversion van, it was good so we upgraded again to a larger higher end model. It was good during a trip, but otherwise it was an overly expensive, over-sized grocery getter soccer rig, I could have spent much less and just rented something. We did drive across the country in them, they were great for that, but that was only a small fraction of how they were used.

Gas engines are lower in cost up front, and to maintain, plus you'd need to be on the road 24/7 for the difference in fuel to come into play.

I've rented luxury SUVs for $25 a day and unlimited mileage.

An old Excursion Diesel would be a bad idea IMO.
1. It is a 3/4 ton truck and it rides like a 3/4 ton truck.
2. The 7.3L powerstroke is a very good engine, but it is very noisy, and if it breaks down it will be VERY expensive to get repaired.
3. It is thirsty, figure about 12 mpg on the highway (14 max on flat terrain if you are really careful), and diesel fuel is still quite a bit more expensive than gasoline out on the road.
4. Finding a really good 17+ year old Excursion Diesel for a reasonable price is going to be a challenge at this point.
5. Something else to consider is tires. Excursions used load range E tires. Good load range E tires are expensive.
As others have said, you would be better off renting a Suburban, a full-size passenger van, or a minivan. A minivan will be the most economical option. Furthermore, a new vehicle is going to be a much safer vehicle for your family to travel in as well.

Oh yeah another vote for a GL450. I think there was another thread on here about a buyer looking to buy a 2008 with 104k for about 10k. Airmatic suspension so softer riding than a regular suspension let alone a truck. The GL450 is a small 4.7 liter V8 and only 12 years instead of 17+ years old.

Why take so many people on the road trip? Leave them home! 🤣
Celebrities and other rich people tend to travel in a posse. Poor people too. Probably doesn't make sense now, but once the pandemic is over there will be more traveling as everyone is tired of being cooped up.

Back