I want to drive across country with 7 comfortably. Can an Excursion 7.3 do it?

Want to do this before I get too old and die. I keep thinking about getting an old Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel and going across country...something in me.

Would it make it or am I dreaming? I don't want vehicle payments. Too many years of that.

Oh I am in my mid 40s. Hopefully not too close but you never know. I have seen alot and have suffered in this life alot (I know many have)....and I just like the idea of being able to tow large things from time to time as well so renting would be really smart but ultimately I'd like to be able to tow with it. Part of what I am saying is that I am starting to really crave the Excursion 7.3 like I'd crave a muscle car at one time. Never thought that would happen. My vehicle signature block is outdated....so outdated so the truck is no longer an option for towing.

Our roads are pretty bad and just getting worse as well. I like the 7+ seating capability and the ground clearance to deal with this crappy degrading private road I live off of. We don't have trash service here either so this mammoth would also be nice to bring the trash to the "convenience" site as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are right. The prices are hard to swallow. Lol@wanna be smoke blower. Passport1...would you care to share your age?

In all reality though, I have been looking into buying a used commercial bus for my family of 7. The prices are way better than an suv and way roomier. Even a 15 passenger van would be a better option plus they can tow.

In all reality though, I have been looking into buying a used commercial bus for my family of 7. The prices are way better than an suv and way roomier. Even a 15 passenger van would be a better option plus they can tow.

I want to do this too. I forgot about that. Just seems like none of them have AWD/4WD without conversion and I am kind of a fanboi when it comes to that.

So we have a 2000 F250 w/ 7.3. The idea of towing a heavy load with it is... daunting. Maybe they were top of the heap when they were new. You'd also be amazed at how thirsty a 7.3 is in stock form.

To find one that hasnt been molested by some wannabe smoke blower or beat to death is rare. Even when they look in semi decent shape the price is nuts.

So very true. The Yee Yees around here have a sixth sense for finding the things. Two weeks later it has crappy LED headlights and three different colored body panels. They'll pay stupid money for them, too.

I want to do this too. I forgot about that. Just seems like none of them have AWD/4WD without conversion and I am kind of a fanboi when it comes to that.
Gm did make 1/2 ton vans for a while with AWD. Quigly conversions are mostly factory parts and they still support the products they made.

I would rather have a 4wd vehicle but I have come to grips that for my size of family 4wd hauling ability and comfort for long travel arent going to come together cheap. I am going to have to have something for each situation and can still come out cheaper than trying to combine it.

Do you need four wheel drive? What about a van? Like a full-size one.
No, but like I said....I am too much an AWD fanboi. I used to love my Caravan AWD but it had issues that I could not get around so I sold it as is. Full size van with AWD sounds like fun. A minivan with AWD would be fun....just wish they threw V8's in em so I could tow.

Back