I want to drive across country with 7 comfortably. Can an Excursion 7.3 do it?

No, but like I said....I am too much an AWD fanboi. I used to love my Caravan AWD but it had issues that I could not get around so I sold it as is. Full size van with AWD sounds like fun. A minivan with AWD would be fun....just wish they threw V8's in em so I could tow.

I would love a full size four wheel drive van, but every time I see one the seller is like...
1-billion-dollars.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm......talking me into renting. The thought of not dealing with the VA DMV during Covid. They still have the title on the Prius I bought and it has been a month!!

I come from a family of 7. My parents had a full size conversion van. My dad would drive, mom rode shotgun while three of us sat on the rear bench and two took to the swivel captain chairs.

I definitely think it's worth renting something that is reliable vs having a water pump, wheel bearing??? take a crap on you 800 miles from home in a 15 year old family truckster with high miles and/or age related wear on it.

I come from a family of 7. My parents had a full size conversion van. My dad would drive, mom rode shotgun while three of us sat on the rear bench and two took to the swivel captain chairs.

I definitely think it's worth renting something that is reliable vs having a water pump, wheel bearing??? take a crap on you 800 miles from home in a 15 year old family truckster with high miles and/or age related wear on it.

You all are right. All of these have happened to me over the course of time! Every last one of them. Some of us are hard headed but thanks for the nails! Forget that seemingly endless taste of reality!! Heck all of these things have happened 10 miles from home at one point or another or on one vehicle or another. Middle age crisis disaster averted! I forgot how burnt out I am with road trips from doing them when I was young. I think I'll press the button on my recliner and watch Amerikana with the family now. :)

You are better off looking for both a Unicorn and a Dinasaur than a 7.3.
Yes- somebody on here will post a listing of one with nice pictures and " low miles". If they do run the other way. I would be looking at full size vans. Used ones cheap and can get the job done . Try a Ford w/ a V10 .

I am in the Fredericksburg area. Perhaps due to my being close to 95 it is only 1.93.
Haven’t been up that way in a long time lol last time I was up there was to go to Giant food store for my friend lol. And yeah that’s probably the reason. Here on one end of town it’s expensive and on the other end it’s cheap so I always go to the cheap end of town lol.

Haven’t been up that way in a long time lol last time I was up there was to go to Giant food store for my friend lol. And yeah that’s probably the reason. Here on one end of town it’s expensive and on the other end it’s cheap so I always go to the cheap end of town lol.
My Son is currently in Fredericksburg for work. Last time he was in the area my wife and I shared his hotel room and toured the Civil War stuff! Great area.

My Son is currently in Fredericksburg for work. Last time he was in the area my wife and I shared his hotel room and toured the Civil War stuff! Great area.
Cool. I didn’t know there was a lot of that stuff up there I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Why buy one for this? You could rent a new suburban or similar and have less worry. I checked and for a month rental from avis oct 20 to nov 23 it was $1670.
This is the correct answer, also I’d go with a minivan, new Pacifica is quite nice inside and I find vans are more comfortable fully loaded than SUVs.

Reactions: CKN
Want to do this before I get too old and die. I keep thinking about getting an old Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel and going across country...something in me.

Would it make it or am I dreaming? I don't want vehicle payments. Too many years of that.
The 7.3 is an amazing engine. We never had issues with those. The 6.0 on the other hand...

How about a small to mid sized RV? Gas powered, sleeps a lot, bath room, kitchen. The more gas use would be offset by the extra room. IDK. . . .

Tough time to be doing something like this with the Covid uptick. You’ll be traveling thru numerous states with quarantine requirements. Stopping for bathroom breaks, food and refueling are all troublesome. Then you’ve got 7 people In close quarters for hours. If even one of gets sick you’re all gonna get sick. Now is not the time.

They're cool but super expensive. Why not go for a Suburban 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine? Sure you get worse MPG but the purchase price and cost of ownership are way lower.

I have had a few 7.3s. I would NOT enjoy listening to that diesel engine on a vacation.

When/if things go wrong... its expensive..

The Excursion 7.3 was only sold for 3.5 yrs.. no idea how many were produced but its not alot.

Back