I Used to Visit BITOG Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Action taken. No more total "reaction score" count. You can still "like" - which we think has value (beats a second post that simply says "+1") but there is not a displayed total. No competition.

Hey you can't do that I was just getting my like campaign ready to launch. Not fair. WAAA.

So who won?

To start, I am honestly surprised at just how diverse this forums is with knowledge. If I could describe BITOG, it would be the saying "I know alot about a little and a little about alot."

Once in a while folks here do have a condescending way that they talk (me included unfortunately) but that can be ignored pretty easily. Overall though this forum isn't bad. I've witness forums being torn apart because site sponsors get preferential treatment when they were clearly in the wrong and 90% of the active members make a new forum. Some forums have *bag admins who act as if they're completely better than you in every way (candlepower, physicforums.) Luckily this forum does not pander to site sponsors.

I do wish some threads open to discussion or replies before locking; some topics that may lead to bickering but wasn't at the time of locking. An example like when a member here made a topic of what happens to gang members after they "retire" which the thread did not contain any bickering (yet) and I would have liked to answer. Rules are rules however.

Anyways, IT review forums like anandtech and Tom's are straight up horrible. I would avoid those at all costs lol.

It isn't just BITOG... I am a member of a couple dozen forums from motorcycles to vehicle specific to camping to skiing to guns/shooting, etc. Every single one of them has been negatively affected the past year. Prior to 2020, many of the forums... I was averaging 1-3 posts per day. Now on most of them, I visit either weekly or monthly and rarely post any more. Hell, I have gotten to where I visit Facebook once or twice a month. These days I no longer post or ask my question.. I just use the search feature and read old threads and move on.....

No, it would not. It would make BITOG a pay-to-play joint, instead of technical and informative forum. While donations are greatly appreciated by everyone, it should not be a green light to fill the fora with junk posts and garbage.

Pay 2 play man, pay 2 play. Instead of dumping money into in-app purchases again it's going to BITOG this time.

Gotta make up for adblocking this site for 10+ years. :oops:

"Likes" ... the new BITOG virus. :D
😝😝😝😝😝😳😳😳
Screenshot_20210401-173500.png

For many years this was my absolute favorite forum. I would come here everyday. Sometimes multiple times in a day. I would ask
questions, answer questions, give my opinions, ask for opinions, etc. I don't know what has happened but I am nervous to even post anymore. Too
many people with too many issues. I've blocked a few of the meanest ones and that helped some.

Now I have resorted to mainly PM'ing my friends here and no longer posting in open forum. My last post had some other people making
comments and giving their opinion and some people started telling them they were wrong,..yada, yada. There can't be wrong opinions. Now,
there can be opinions you disagree with as I have many of those. I just get tired of all the nitpicking and criticism. I'm amazed at the number of
people who go back and research posters to remind them they posted the same question 2 years ago. I have never thought about doing that.
What goes through someone's mind to do that? I feel like I'm on trial when I come here and the jury has been rigged. It's a consistent 3-5
man jury that does the sentencing for most of us. It hurts me to see how some of you jurors/attorneys respond to people. In many ways, I feel
inadequate but I don't channel that frustration to other posters.

I'm not a cry baby. This is my opinion. IT ain't wrong.

This forum used to be fun.

ps. There are 6 of you that I consider friends. You know who you are and I ain't talking about you. I will always come to you with questions
looking for advice.

If it weren't for the occasional bit of good info.....this forum would be an absolute dreadful place to post....even more than it already is.

Do you remember the old SNL sketch with the IT guy that went around condescendingly fixing everyone's computer problems.....bashing them with passive aggressive comments designed to make them feel stupid.

That sums up 75% of the posts around here. Ironic given that this is supposed to be a place to learn things. Instead it dominated by the same small group of posters....only a few that actually take the time to help answer a question and contribute to a positive environment

If it weren't for the occasional bit of good info.....this forum would be an absolute dreadful place to post....even more than it already is.

Do you remember the old SNL sketch with the IT guy that went around condescendingly fixing everyone's computer problems.....bashing them with passive aggressive comments designed to make them feel stupid.

That sums up 75% of the posts around here. Ironic given that this is supposed to be a place to learn things. Instead it dominated by the same small group of posters....only a few that actually take the time to help answer a question and contribute to a positive environment
Really?

75% of the posts are passive aggressive and condescending?

Sounds like the BITOG rules need to be updated to stipulate that all posters must be wearing "Kid Gloves" while posting ... but it makes it kind of hard to type. 😄

I'm with you, man. Not every thread, but enough to turn away plenty of new members, and plenty of older ones, too.

I used to post here several times a day, like Gebo. Now it's 3-4 posts a week, if that. Too many negative waves, Moriarty.

I didn't know the reaction score feature could be removed while reactions were still allowed. In my opinion that's the best solution.
That was my suggestion - get rid of the display of the scores. The page where it's shown is just a webpage that can be edited. I'm sure it was relatively simple to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back