I turned 48 today, at what age did you start to feel old?

The big 7-0 today, can't complain too much, all the normal aches and pains but glad to be alive. Wake up every morning and thank the Good Lord for letting me have another day of sunshine. The mind still thinks in younger terms but the body quickly puts an end to that with major assistance from my better half. :D
I never put an age to you but assumed maybe close to my age. Young!

I had a strange dream the other night. I was a young man, around 25, and I was setting all these lifetime goals I wanted to achieve. Then, I realized I was actually 75 years old, and if I had not achieved those goals yet, I likely never would.

And I rolled over and went back to sleep. :sleep:
:sleep:

Age 62 is when I began to feel the onset of physical limits.

That said, I'll be 70 in about 6 weeks but can still do more physically than many 30 year olds, things like hustling and powering my road bicycles - fast - in the surrounding hills, or loading up 30 cubic yard roll off dumpsters to the top with yard debris in just 3 or 4 hours.

Mentally, I feel a slow decline. I was always really good at math and prided myself on being able to calculate my gas mileage in my head while driving to a single decimal place - in about 10 seconds. I can't do that anymore. I used to remember all my credit card numbers, expiration dates, and verification codes. When I was working that was 4 or 5 cards in total. I can't do that anymore.

Scott

Last edited:
My observations at 43:

1. I've been a lifter for the past 10 years and while I'm in the best shape (I can easily lift +300lbs in all my main lifts) of my life there are some definite differences now vs 10 years ago - recovery being the biggest issue. As I've gotten older my ability to get through higher volume workouts has gone up but my ability to recover from them has gone down and I have to manage fatigue in a way I did not 10 years ago. That said, I have no physical issues or limitations and I did 10 years ago with multiple back issues, shoulder issues, and in general, I just felt like poop.

So, as long as I keep lifting but manage fatigue, manage my work-life fatigue, manage my sleep, and keep my mind busy, I seem to feel pretty young but if any of those are out of whack I feel old. Even at 43, there seems to be a lot more maintenance required
A year later and at 44 still gaining strength and adding size slowly. I have noticed with many older people significant atrophy, especially of the legs, is usually the beginning of the end. My goal is to really keep at this well into my 70's and beyond. Exercise for me is key to not feeling old.

IMG_4639.jpeg
IMG_4644.jpeg

When you get in your late 50’s, society starts to pass you by. Your music isn’t played on the radio, movies aren’t made for you and the stars/celebrities of your youth start to die off weekly.

I’m 64 and in 12 years half the males I went to school with will be gone. My grandchildren look at my era like I looked at the 1920’s.

I graduated high school in 1964, which is 59 years ago.

In 1964, 59 years prior was 1905. Ouch.

My Dad was 54 when I came into the world. He was born in 1900. In theory, as a young man, he could have shaken hands with someone who had shaken hands with Abraham Lincoln.

Maybe that's why I feel old?

I turned 48 today, yes I was born on Day of the Dead in Mexico. I don't feel old but I have noticed my back hurts a bit after leaning over and working on my car. I have hair where I don't need it and none where I do. At what age did you guys start to feel old?
Sounds familiar. I'm 46. Had kidney stone surgery and stent put in last week. Gallbladder is acting up too (family history of that). Otherwise, I feel great, but I do notice more aches now. Part of it is I work from home and am sitting down all day.

A year later and at 44 still gaining strength and adding size slowly. I have noticed with many older people significant atrophy, especially of the legs, is usually the beginning of the end. My goal is to really keep at this well into my 70's and beyond. Exercise for me is key to not feeling old.

View attachment 138339View attachment 138340

NICE WORK!!!

I started lifting when I was 14, my freshmen year in high school. I made quite good progress, and still hold a couple records back at my high school some 30 years later.

I remember friends telling me when I got to college I would give up lifting, and gain 20+ pounds...more motivation

I kept lifting

I remember in college my friends telling me once I graduated and got a real job, I would gain 20+ pounds and soften up

I kept lifting

I remember when I got married my friends telling me I would get soft and stop lifting...

I kept lifting

I remember friends telling me when I went through my divorce that it was ok to relax, and take time off from the gym

I kept lifting

I remember competing in North American Strongman, competing in many competitions, resulting in Osteo-arthritis, and 7 different surgeries

I kept lifting

I am now in my mid 40's...and still lifting, and maybe carrying more mass than I ever have. I'm not stronger, but I feel better, and look pretty decent for my age.

I get Id'd to purchase alcohol, and folks can't believe I'm over 35
I can still outrun everybody I know in a sprint
I can still out-train everybody I know
I feel nearly as good as I did in my 20's and as good as I did in my 30's
What did I learn? People want to feel comfortable...they don't like when those around them continue to push.
I will continue to do things you refuse to do so I can continue to do things YOU CAN'T.

Age 62 is when I began to feel the onset of physical limits.

That said, I'll be 70 in about 6 weeks but can still do more physically than many 30 year olds, things like hustling and powering my road bicycles - fast - in the surrounding hills, or loading up 30 cubic yard roll off dumpsters to the top with yard debris in just 3 or 4 hours.

Mentally, I feel a slow decline. I was always really good at math and prided myself on being able to calculate my gas mileage in my head while driving to a single decimal place - in about 10 seconds. I can't do that anymore. I used to remember all my credit card numbers, expiration dates, and verification codes. When I was working that was 4 or 5 cards in total. I can't do that anymore.

Scott
I can't do that anymore either. I'm down to one credit card and they all have the same pin #.

. I have noticed with many older people significant atrophy, especially of the legs, is usually the beginning of the end. My goal is to really keep at this well into my 70's and beyond. Exercise for me is key to not feeling old.
Always an athlete, and gym regular, I was utterly unable to maintain strength after age 54. Many folks have better results than me, but advancing age has a way of handing just about everyone "something bad". Even so, the gym, done correctly, is probably the best way to turn back the clock. If I can get a treatment that enables me to use my muscles again, I'd be back in the gym instantly, not to mention, out on the racing bicycle (at slow speeds)

I turned 48 today, yes I was born on Day of the Dead in Mexico. I don't feel old but I have noticed my back hurts a bit after leaning over and working on my car. I have hair where I don't need it and none where I do. At what age did you guys start to feel old?
You start to realize you are getting older, at least for me. When for decades I never needed to go see a doctor about anything other than maybe an antibiotic for a sore throat.
As time goes on you start to make sure to get an annual physical, still all good.
Still feel like Im in my 20s or 30s ... and my mind says 20s until I look in the mirror when I get up in the morning.

BUT then comes those years right before or after you retire. ALL if a SUDDEN I find myself going to doctors for things I didnt even know existed my whole life *LOL*
Then, OMG right around the age of 65 you have so many doctor appointments that its lucky you're retired to go to them all!
Been there, done that, fingers crossed I think I just got most of that taken care of irregular heartbeat (PERFECT outcome) so I think I am good for a while assuming I dont have prostrate cancer that is.

PSA through the roof hundred of times more than it should be, multiple MRI's and Biopsies over the last 4 years so far so good. Will have another one by the middle of this year. Hopefully I am one of the rare cases with a super high PSA and never have cancer. I dont dwell on it, I feel great, work out at a gym, enjoy taking care of myself.

One thing for sure it is COOL being retired, you lose track of time though and it starts to really fly by much faster then when you used to think it flies by. I have to check my watch to know what day of the week it is! ( my wife is jealous)

Last edited:
Late 40's my asthma return w/ a bang. I had asthma as a child but during my 20 and 30's, it went away for some reason.

My biggest triggers to this crazy asthma are 2 crazy things, smells like from diesel and fine dust but not dirt.

The fall is a horrible time for me w/ all the wind and dusty leaves coming down. If I had it my way, I LOVE to live where summer is all year, no seasonal changes.

I'm 70 and work on my farm every day driving a tractor or excavator, dealing with water pumps, irrigation, and propagating new date trees.
Feeling old is in your head. Sure you work a little slower, take fewer chances, and make sure you have a good hand/ foot hold getting on and off equipment. Sure you feel a few more pains in your back at the end of the day, but the work needs to get done.

I will be 70 early next month. It is weird being the same age as old people. I am slowing down, the last time I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back in the same day I was only 68, but realized I would not be doing that ever again.

Milestones:
Age 16
Age 21
Age 35, half way through life, or so it seemed at the time
Age 62, lifetime national parks pass
Age 66, Social Security
Age 70, just gonna be another day

I’m not old nor do I feel old. But I do have a lot of miles on this chassis. So yeah the aches and pains come with it. My recreational actives keep me in good shape and allow me to test my physicality against younger men. And it’s always more fun when I win 😉

Back