I turned 48 today, at what age did you start to feel old?

Congrats. My wife just had a belly laugh at me cause I called someone who was brought up in our conversation "kids!" and she about died laughing as she informed me "those people are mid 40s , almost 50! you calling them "kids!" I can now relate to my dad's attitude about something. We would fall out laughing when he would complain "what is all these ****ed Tv shows and movies with all these strange people? I don't have a clue who these actors or musicians are!" and he would seem angry. Now I can relate. Its getting to the point all the actors and bands we followed are gone and dying off. Its funny there are movies and Tv shows I hear are so popular and been around for years and I have not seen any of them. I am busy either reading or watching History or Quest or Nature channels. Or some of the classic movies we spent years recording to DVDs years ago off Turner Classic Movies or Fox Movie channel.

I turned 48 today, yes I was born on Day of the Dead in Mexico. I don't feel old but I have noticed my back hurts a bit after leaning over and working on my car. I have hair where I don't need it and none where I do. At what age did you guys start to feel old?
I'm 39. I don't feel any older yet but constantly I'm reminded of how much time has passed. My new summer student at work is 18 which is a constant reminder of the age gap. It's crazy how fast time passes.
My 84 Cutlass summer driver was put together by my friend and I in 2007 and that doesn't seem that long ago.

At 47 noticed longer recovery times and declining strength. 56 now and more issues related to arthritis and the ortho surgeries that started in HS. Still in reasonably good shape but I avoid activities that i would have never thought twice about 10 years ago. Remember that growing older is a luxury that is not available to all.

When I was in my early 40s. the riding position on sport motorcycles started to get uncomfortable. Also, my back started to make its existence known. At 64, I felt old, due to the Beatles song "When I'm Sixty Four". At 70, I applied for Social Security. At 72, I was the age when my father died.

Its been a progression. But, I am blessed with good longevity genes (my father was an outlier. He worked himself to death) so I think I have a good chance of being on the right side of the grass for my 90th birthday. I may celebrate it by taking a nap.

gonna be 50 this july. i d'ont feel old, but i know i am old. to be 25 years old till the end of time. my dream. in the prime of life forever.

It all depends on the day, and what I am doing.

I still get ID'd to purchase alcohol, so that is always a complement...when throwing around weights at the gym that can be weighed in tons, I feel young, when riding my motorcycles, or driving my Vette I feel pretty young.

When hanging out with kids fresh out of college (new hires)...ugh, I feel old. Total disconnect in values and understanding.

Age 54, that was it for me, the point where I became elderly and infirm.

Maybe sooner than others. But that's when I could not do a workout anymore. My body failed due to high antiRNP antibodies (autoimmune disease) causing mitochondrial dysfunction, and Hashimoto's. I went from being strong and able to lift 50 pound dumbbells to unable to lift 5 pounds more than a few times. And any effort, like using the chainsaw for a few minutes, requiring hours of recovery.

Heading to the doc in a few days, I may ask for body building steroids in an attempt at regaining some strength and endurance. I can no longer walk around the block without muscle failure.

Last edited:
55, and I don't feel old much....when I miss the kids, I feel ancient...when I watch the way things are going globally, sometimes I wash I was older.

Age 54, that was it for me, the point where I became elderly and infirm.

Maybe sooner than others. But that's when I could not do a workout anymore. My body failed due to high antiRNP antibodies (autoimmune disease) causing mitochondrial dysfunction, and Hashimoto's. I went from being strong and able to lift 50 pound dumbbells to unable to lift 5 pounds more than a few times. And any effort, like using the chainsaw for a few minutes, requiring hours of recovery.

Heading to the doc in a few days, I may ask for body building steroids in an attempt at regaining some strength and endurance. I can no longer walk around the block without muscle failure.
Very similar story on this end. Not pleasant for sure unable to do things for yourself you always did. It was a hell of a thing and quite a fight (one of the few ever) between wife and me when I finally accepted and gave in to hire out the lawn work.

I am 68,,, will have to let you know...I dont feel old yet....... :D
I AM jealous! I had a hard time saying out loud when I turned 60! Turned sixty six last week. Wife and I do laugh about something we used to talk about. When musch younger ,we used to always say "why are those old people in the stores always in bad moods n just a little angry!?" LOL Now we know.

Last edited:
I turned 48 today, yes I was born on Day of the Dead in Mexico. I don't feel old but I have noticed my back hurts a bit after leaning over and working on my car. I have hair where I don't need it and none where I do. At what age did you guys start to feel old?
I suppose I started to feel old when I was around 74-75 years old. However, that's just physical. I don't feel old mentally, but I can see it coming out there on the horizon. Just can't tell how far off that is.

Just turned 72 and I am feeling a bit older than just a year ago. Not quite the endurance that I once had. I have started working out in the gym, swimming and walking to keep myself up as much as I can without killing myself. Overall I consider myself blessed. Five or six years ago I could outwork my son who was in his 30's.

Feeling old? Only slightly since I turned 60 in 2020. That's when the kidneys finally left the building.

I've been on home dialysis since Jan. 2020. I never really knew how crappy I felt until the dialysis started to work its magic. The goal is to stay alive and healthy enough for when a donor organ becomes available. I don't have a living donor so I was told it could be a while. The upside is, I've lost close to 70 lbs. since 2019 (I'm at 153) and have dropped all my blood pressure meds.

I still crawl around on the garage floor, bend over fenders and do yard work.

Mentally, I still behave like a 12 year old.

The big 7-0 today, can't complain too much, all the normal aches and pains but glad to be alive. Wake up every morning and thank the Good Lord for letting me have another day of sunshine. The mind still thinks in younger terms but the body quickly puts an end to that with major assistance from my better half. :D

Back