I think she was running a little lean.....

I wonder how long the customer drove it with the misfire for that type of damage to happen?

Very cool write-up and pics!

The 3.8L does not have a good reputation in the Jeep community. Underpowered, poor mpg, lots of oil burning (1+ quarts per 1000 miles is considered normal) and they have been known to spin bearings.

I liked the 3.8 in their minivans.... it was a bit of a rocket in ours, but yeah they aren’t beefy enough for jeep duty, especially once there’s a lift, bigger tires and additional armor/accessories. I do like the way the 3.8 feels in them, it just can’t handle the same low end abuse like the 4.0 could. In the minivan with stock everything, however, that engine was one of the easier things to live with. Tbh, I liked the 3.3 even more - basically the same motor but under less stress.

I wonder how long the customer drove it with the misfire for that type of damage to happen?

Very cool write-up and pics!

Quite a while from what I can tell, Or it started misfiring & the Foot was kept in it!!!! Couldn't get a straight answer from the owner which isn't surprising. Yes.....This Jeep has all the modifications, Lift, Big Tires etc etc.

Reactions: JTK
nLXUacx.jpg

sqiHKDj.jpg

iO4yDbQ.jpg

Not necessarily, it's just that engine work (especially good engine work) is not cheap. For most cases, customers opt to replace the engine with a used one because it's cheaper and will get them back on the road quicker.
I can't argue with that. If the motor had any issues in my Silverado I have 2 spare 5.3 motors that cost $300. I'd just have to pay for the r&r.

Some people have more $$ than brains.
A shot engine on a 10-year old vehicle? Get a new vehicle!
Engine rebuild will be about $4-5k; and if the vehicle has been neglected this bad, what about all the other work that will need to be done?

If someone really loved the Jeep and wanted it back on the road, for heck’s sake, put in a better engine than a 3.8! Why would someone rebuild one of these?

Some people have more $$ than brains.
A shot engine on a 10-year old vehicle? Get a new vehicle!
Engine rebuild will be about $4-5k; and if the vehicle has been neglected this bad, what about all the other work that will need to be done?

If someone really loved the Jeep and wanted it back on the road, for heck’s sake, put in a better engine than a 3.8! Why would someone rebuild one of these?
An engine swap is far far more involved than a rebuild. 10 year old wranglers can still fetch $20,000 or more.

In good condition, maybe true, but this one has had the life beaten out of it.
Rest of the vehicle is probably as run down and worn out as the engine!
If they drove it this long with this bad of an engine, they can’t have cared much for the rest of it.

addyguy......The engine wasn't worn out per se, Though the owner definitely made a poor judgement call to keep driving it with a misfire. The Jeep itself is in really good shape & probably has $6,000 worth of modifications.

That is not bad at all considering what most places get for a sketchy reman with no new injectors or other parts.
Pace yourself though, with that much work its easy to get burned out, I speak from experience. Get a good apprentice.

Yep. Buddy of mine runs an insanely busy shop here on Long Island. Only guy I trust to do stuff when I don't have the time or things like tires or inspection. Anyway, he had a stroke, his main guy is out with prostate cancer or something. They have a kid who's a decent mechanic but has not gotten his inspection license yet. Work is backing up like crazy. Al (my friend) is only able to come in two hours a day currently.
I offered to help in any capacity but so far, he says he's making it work.
It's kinda like when I broke my arm years ago. Thankfully, we had a shop full of guys so I was able to bring helpers with me to wrap up any pending jobs.

That is not bad at all considering what most places get for a sketchy reman with no new injectors or other parts.
Pace yourself though, with that much work its easy to get burned out, I speak from experience. Get a good apprentice.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Paul, My Old Man has been helping out as retirement is already driving him crazy (again), Even though he's about to turn 80.....He's quite a bit of help. (He owned/operated a repair garage for decades)

But, You're right......I need an apprentice. Just can't seem to find a young man that's willing. Tried a couple fresh out of Trade School & it didn't work out. Gave one a Timing Belt job on a '94 Ranger 2.3L & he threw a fit.....This is after giving him some gravy work like brakes & struts which he did OK at. Working on an old "POS" was beneath him even though this truck is clean & well taken care of.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Paul, My Old Man has been helping out as retirement is already driving him crazy (again), Even though he's about to turn 80.....He's quite a bit of help. (He owned/operated a repair garage for decades)

But, You're right......I need an apprentice. Just can't seem to find a young man that's willing. Tried a couple fresh out of Trade School & it didn't work out. Gave one a Timing Belt job on a '94 Ranger 2.3L & he threw a fit.....This is after giving him some gravy work like brakes & struts which he did OK at. Working on an old "POS" was beneath him even though this truck is clean & well taken care of.
I wish I was closer I’d be your apprentice. At work they are starting to not be the best towards us especially the ones that haven’t been there for years. I’m 18 but learning everyday and I love doing it. Never once have I complained about a job I’m happy to do anything I am assigned. They let my boss go on Monday for letting us play corn hole while we were slow and didn’t have any work so now I’m worried they will let us younger ones go.

Back