I think my '99 Sienna has sludge...Is Auto-RX my best bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought a used '99 Sienna before I knew about the sludge problem. I had an independent shop take a look at it before I bought it, and they said it was in good shape. But they didn't pull off the valve cover to see the engine condition.

At the first oil change, I only got out about 2.75 quarts, instead of the ~4 that I expected. I've heard this is a sign of a sludge problem.

What is my next best step? Should I get some Auto-RX going? Is synthetic oil more resistant to sludging? How hard is it to pull off the valve cover?
confused.gif

TIA

I would get an Auto-Rx treatment started right away. Was this the first time you have dumped the oil since purchasing used? Hopefully the crankcase was just low on oil, and not clogged up to the point where oil can not flow downward from the top end.I would do the cleaning with dino oil. It sounds that you might be looking at at least two applications. I wouldn't waste any money on synthetic, until you correct the sludge issue first.

Cineburk, I was in the exact same boat 2 years ago that you are in right now. I bought a 98 Sienna that smoked on start up and at acceleration. I got turned on to this board (in the old format) and that is when I discovered AutoRX. Frank is extremely good to work (inventor of the product) and I was his first Toyota Sienna customer
grin.gif
! He worked a long time with me on how we should clean the engine.

However, in the midst of our cleaning application, which by the way was doing a great job as I took lots of pictures of my valvetrain and cut open several filters, Toyota made a "Special Policy Adjustment (SPA) for owners of these types of vehicles with the V-6 engine. This SPA extends the warranty out to 8 years and unlimited mileage on these engines as long as you can prove that you changed the oil at least once in the last year. Seeing as though you just bought it, you can go and get an oil change and there is your proof!

The long and short of it - Toyota put a brand engine in my van at no charge to me! Well, I did have to foot the bill for a new timing belt
wink.gif

While I whole heartedly believe in Frank's product and I continue to use 3 oz. maintenence dosages on both my 1994 Honda Accord and my Sienna, I could not turn down the offer for a free engine! I do not think Frank was offended by my actions as I continue to use his product and tell people about it all of the time.

If I were you, I would contact Toyota USA and have the VIN information of the van placed in your name from the previous owner - they will not give you any information about the old owner to whom it was registerd, I tried that already - and then file a claim under the SPA I described above. When you get through the process of getting a rebuilt engine or a new engine, it is at that point that I would start using AutoRX in the 3 oz. maintenence dosage.

BTW, I usually use Chevron Supreme 10-30 with the SuperTech oil filter and a 3 oz. AutoRx dose. Just so that I do not get stuck with a misquito killing machine again
grin.gif
, I change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's very easy for me to do and the weather doesn't get bone cold down here to where I can't perform the oil change!

Let us know how you proceed. You can't go wrong with AutoRX but if Toyota wants to help you out, that is all the more better...

Point well taken dhlmoore. I think the key thing here to note is that. The new motor will do the same thing unless very good maintenance is performed. How is the maintenance dose of ARX, with 3000 mile oil changes working? Is there a need to run a full complement cleaning application? My guess is yes at some point.Possibly every 15K miles, is my thought. I had heard some stories of sludge development in these motors as early as 30K miles.

I have not done a full bottle on the new engine. Got the new engine at 50k miles and it now has arounf 72k or 73k on the odometer. As usual the oil looks someehat dark when I drain but nothing like a sludge monster would produce. I have always been disappointed though with the MPG even on the old engine. I thought with the new engine that MPG would increase but it hasn't. EPA estimates call for 18 and 24. My wife uses the van and it is probably 70% city and 30% highway and it averages around 15 MPG. I have changed to the Bosch two-tipped platinum plugs called for in the owners manual and that hasn't helped a bit.

I chose the 3 oz AutoRX dose based on Frank recommended. Originally, it was a 2 oz dose but I think that Frank revised it based on other user's experiences.

I failed to mention this in the previous post but I changed the oil in my older sis's 99 Camry 4 banger and fould it full of sludge (my heart sank..)! I put a whole bottle of AutoRX in and have given her strict orders to give the car back to me in two weeks when she has accumulated 500 miles so that I can another filter on and top off. I will let her go another 500 miles and do the same thing. I may change out oil at that point with fresh batch of oil only, go 1000 mikes and then hit it again with a second bottle of AutoRX. I told her to drive it like she stole it - heat is what makes this stuff work!

I have changed to the Bosch two-tipped platinum plugs called for in the owners manual and that hasn't helped a bit.

I think you might have misread the manual. From what I have read/heard, the Toyota's do not run well on the Bosch (or as my Toyota mechanic refers to them, Botched) plugs.

I would put either NGK or ND plugs in.

quote:

I have changed to the Bosch two-tipped platinum plugs called for in the owners manual and that hasn't helped a bit.

I think you might have misread the manual. From what I have read/heard, the Toyota's do not run well on the Bosch (or as my Toyota mechanic refers to them, Botched) plugs.

You need a double platinum plug. That's where BOTH the center electrode and side electrode are platinum. Has something to do with the polarity of the spark being opposite on the back cylinders from the front cylinders, because one coil generates spark for a front and back cylinder but of opposite charges. One polarity will errode the center electrode, the other polarity will errode the side electrode. Bosch only have platinum on the center electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back