I think I put too much oil in my riding mower but I'm not sure. Is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a John Deere D105 small riding mower. Here are 4 pictures (https://imgur.com/a/b0Ltbe6)--first two are with the dipstick/cap pushed in and twisted shut, and the second two are with the dipstick/cap pushed in but not twisted shut. I did run the engine for about 10 minutes before these images. Is this ok or should I let some oil out? I'm having trouble with reading the dipstick lol. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't see the oil on the dipstick. If we were to define the zone between fill and add as one unit, how many units is the level above the add mark?

It's always best to know what your product manual says. If you don't have one, look it up on Deere's website, etc. by the model number. Then you know the capacity and if you added the correct amount.

What's the manual say? I had a JD 110 (I think) and the manual said 2qts + filter. I ran a NAPA Gold 1348 filter, which is a tad bigger than the JD filter, 2qts Royal Purple 5W30 and the dipstick showed 1/8" above full after it sat for a week. No issues ever. To me the dipstick is a guide. My 2018 RAM 1500 3.6 shows about a 1/2 quart low with 6qts + filter. So I know it's wrong, because it takes 6qts + filter each oil change per the manual.
I'm pretty sure you have to screw in the dipstick to check your oil. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I can't see the oil on the dipstick. If we were to define the zone between fill and add as one unit, how many units is the level above the add mark?

Here's what the manual says: http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMGX25410_19/?tM=HO

So I pushed it in and tightened it a couple times and checked. It looks like it goes right to the top of the arrow. Not to the arrow tip, the top of the line of the arrow. So...maybe 1.5 units? For what its worth it ran fine. The manual said to put 1.5qts in there and I really feel like I did that. But I suppose I overfilled lol.

Last edited:
Back in the day my younger brother kept an antique lawn mower going for years until he made enough to go to college by keeping the crankcase constantly over-filled with oil.

My old MTD blower is the same, you have to screw it all the way tight to get an accurate reading. It also says in the manual it holds 21 ounces but when I drain it I've never gotten more the 18/19 ounces out so putting back in 21 would over fill it. Keep it in the crosshatch, over filling can be as bad as under filling it.

Last edited:
Wipe off the dipstick completely so there is no oil in the holes. Then after you take it back out there should be oil caught in the bottom hole but not in the top hole.

If it were mine I would let a little out. If it were dangerously overfilled the oil will find a way out on its own, especially under load.

I'll go ahead and do that, thanks all. I honestly feel like I put less than 1.5qts in there but who knows haha.

It might be ok on a flat, and do bad things on a hill.

Its best to not be more than 1/4 inch above the full mark.

I'd drain some out if its all the way to the base of the arrow.

Personally I wouldn't worry one bit about it. I have been a pro small engine mechanic for almost 50 years, and unless grossly overfilled (which yours isn't) it won't hurt anything. For customers that their engine uses oil, I always overfill them so they are less likely to run out of oil. My own mowers are always slightly overfilled, and my rider is 45 years old now and running like a top. Personally I think people get to excited about a little overfilling. I have always said better to much than to little.

Alright, I emptied a bit out. Now only one of the holes fills up. I've tested it probably 5-10 times. I'm gonna just stay with what i've got haha. The dipstick does still get oil above the second hole but the second hole is not filled up, only the first hole is. So i'm assuming I've got this thing where it needs to be. I've always hated reading dipsticks; something about it seems so imprecise. Thanks for all the help!

Check it again before you start it and every time thereafter. I find that the oil level on my JD D140 continues to go up for two days after I run it. Top it up if needed only after it has sat idle for a few days, never just after running it.

Like at the cylinder orientation. Horizontal cylinder. If the oil is overfilled, then the oil is up into the cylinder while running, behind the piston, which sloshes it around terribly. When not running, the oil seeps past the cylinder rings into the combustion chamber, and it will smoke terribly every time you start it until the oil burns off.

Don't over fill these things.

And yes, I find that I get the most accurate reading, not after an oil change, but after the engine has been though several run/stop cycles and allowed to cool. Hold the dipstick horizontally up at eye level, right in front of your face, to see the oil, if it is translucent and hard to see. There will be a shiny spot where the oil is on the dipstick, not so shiny where the oil is not. And yes, look at both sides of the dipstick, some engines you have to.

Took the oil after running it again and now both holes are filled. I think its not supposed to be measured hot though. This is ridiculous haha.

As I said before, let it sit idle for at least two days before checking the oil. Don't worry about it if your are 1/2 unit (width of the hash zone) above full. You said you were 1.5 units high; that was a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back