I think I messed up. How badly?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Wolf359
If you want to spend extra money, you can try for the exotic oils, but in the MB forums and on here, lots of people run Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 all the time and it's a fine oil with good longevity. Mobil is what the dealer/Mercedes uses and what they sell although it's a slightly different blend than what you find on the shelves at Walmart. They have a $12 rebate now on up to four 5 quart jugs and Walmart has it for $21.38 now so it's hard to beat. They had it down to $19.99 when they were up against prime.

Basically you're overthinking it. Read the other threads here. Mobil 1 0w40 will be fine for your needs. I either do Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 in both my E-350's, use whichever is on sale.

MB more or less switched to Petronas. Though, it could be that dealers are using Mobil1 still.

At work we buy 2-3 new sprinters a year and they all have stickers under the hood which say use MB oil or Mobil 1 "partners in performance"

Our sprinters get serviced with either MB 0w30 or M1 0w30esp I've seen both on service receipts

OP should stick to a 0w40 or 5w40 meeting 229.5 in the gasser IMO.

Last edited:
Oh, and BTW California mandated low sulfur gasoline about 10 years ago. The only question is how low does it need to be to cause issues.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Oh, and BTW California mandated low sulfur gasoline about 10 years ago. The only question is how low does it need to be to cause issues.

There are no issues with low sulfur gasoline, only benefits (except cost to the consumer). It's not like diesel fuel.

So, since this oil meets 229.6 and that is listed in my owners manual, no issues at all. I was worried about the 1.2 %weight SAPS level, but apparently, no problem there either.

I'm no Mercedes expert so I will just point out a couple of things, assuming I've correctly identified the car:

• Using the oil selector on Ravenol.de does not return FDS as a reccomended oil.
  • The footnotes on the chart ROLLINS linked indicate 229.6 is a FE spec and may include additional restrictions, but appears to show none
  • BlauParts does not list any MB approvals for that oil ( a bit of a curiosity)

If it was my car, I'd put a formally approved oil for the main specification. I know dumping ~100.00 worth of oil is hard.

Originally Posted by Ravenol.de Oil Guide
Category : Cars
Make : Mercedes-Benz
Model : E-Class, W213 / V213 / S213 (2016 - )
Type : E 300 (213.048/148) (2016 - )

Collapse all Expand all
Engine 274.920

Capacity : Capacity 7 litre

Use : Normal
Intervals : Change 15000 km
Products : RAVENOL ALS SAE 0W-30
: RAVENOL SSO SAE 0W-30
: RAVENOL SSL SAE 0W-40
: RAVENOL VMP SAE 5W-30
: RAVENOL SMP SAE 5W-30
: RAVENOL VMS SAE 5W-30

Use : Extended
Intervals : Change 25000 km
Products : RAVENOL SSO SAE 0W-30
: RAVENOL SSL SAE 0W-40
: RAVENOL HCL SAE 5W-30
: RAVENOL RSP SAE 5W-30
: RAVENOL VST SAE 5W-40
: RAVENOL HST SAE 5W-40

I'm out...

I too somehow managed to identify the car as w213 with M274 engine (US sites passionately hate mentioning engine codes-Mxx;OMxx...and vehicle types-Wxx).

RAVENOL FDS SAE 5W-30 is on MB 229.6 approval list, so in this regard all is fine.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.6_en.html

I'd always get WalMart's Mobil 1 SAE 0w-40 (or any other 229.5 Castrol or SOPUS oil) over a 229.6 by some "independent" blender who recently decided to storm a new market or some other Gucci stuff.

BTW hybrids with this engine should only use 229.5 of 0w-40 and 5w-40 viscosities (!) on both Euro and US markets ...yep.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by Wolf359
If you want to spend extra money, you can try for the exotic oils, but in the MB forums and on here, lots of people run Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 all the time and it's a fine oil with good longevity. Mobil is what the dealer/Mercedes uses and what they sell although it's a slightly different blend than what you find on the shelves at Walmart. They have a $12 rebate now on up to four 5 quart jugs and Walmart has it for $21.38 now so it's hard to beat. They had it down to $19.99 when they were up against prime.

Basically you're overthinking it. Read the other threads here. Mobil 1 0w40 will be fine for your needs. I either do Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 in both my E-350's, use whichever is on sale.

MB more or less switched to Petronas. Though, it could be that dealers are using Mobil1 still.

At work we buy 2-3 new sprinters a year and they all have stickers under the hood which say use MB oil or Mobil 1 "partners in performance"

Our sprinters get serviced with either MB 0w30 or M1 0w30esp I've seen both on service receipts

OP should stick to a 0w40 or 5w40 meeting 229.5 in the gasser IMO.

Could be that MB is sticking to Mobil1 here at American market. But Petronas is definiately first fill now and used on otehr markets. Would not be surprised if Petronas is first fill in engines that come here. But in the end of the day, specification is what matters.

Still see M1 Formula M 5w40 on eBay … think that's 229.5 at 0.9 … (3.7 HTHS)

Thanks again everyone!

A little more research brought a list of MB 229.6 oils up on my phone. Turns out that all of the 229.6 oils on THAT list are 5W-30 and 0W-30 (and the list includes Ravenol FDS).
Additionally, the 229.5 spec appears to be for the thicker grades of oils such as the 5W-40 -0W-40 stuff. Including but not limited to, CASTROL EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 (that was a surprise, in fact any weight Castrol Edge A3 OR B4 seems to meet the spec. And a bunch of other stuff I never heard of.

I think I'll consider the 229.6 "northern" oil, and the XW-40 stuff more for the south, even though I realize that's a generalization.
So anyway, after this oil is used up, I most likely will go back to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. It did really well in my V6 Mercedes that this car replaced.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.6_en.html#close

Thanks again everyone!

A little more research brought a list of MB 229.6 oils up on my phone. Turns out that all of the 229.6 oils on THAT list are 5W-30 and 0W-30 (and the list includes Ravenol FDS).
Additionally, the 229.5 spec appears to be for the thicker grades of oils such as the 5W-40 -0W-40 stuff. Including but not limited to, CASTROL EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 (that was a surprise, in fact any weight Castrol Edge A3 OR B4 seems to meet the spec. And a bunch of other stuff I never heard of.

I think I'll consider the 229.6 "northern" oil, and the XW-40 stuff more for the south, even though I realize that's a generalization.
So anyway, after this oil is used up, I most likely will go back to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. It did really well in my V6 Mercedes that this car replaced.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.6_en.html#close

Weight is span between one number and another number. In case of W30, it is span between 9.5cst to 12.5 cst. Oil's closer to 12.5cst, usually around 12, are so called heavy W30 oils and they could meet MB 229.5, depending what they are made for. Also, NOT ANY Castrol Edge A3/B3 B4 meets MB 229.5. Castrol Edge 5W40 available in Wal Mart and VW/Audi dealers DOES NOT meet MB229.5. It is not only about weight, there are numerous other variables.
And yes, you are generalizing "norther" and "southern" oils. Based on pour point of some of the oils, such as Castrol Edge 0W30, there is nothing there that says "not god in winter" when pour point is -60c.

Could be that MB is sticking to Mobil1 here at American market. But Petronas is definiately first fill now and used on otehr markets. Would not be surprised if Petronas is first fill in engines that come here. But in the end of the day, specification is what matters.

It would only make sense for MB to stick with Mobil, at least in Canada. Sure, they can import whatever floats their boats, as it were, but Imperial Oil still has bulk approved lubes. I have a sheet somewhere that listed all the products that Imperial Oil supplied to Canadian MB dealerships. It's not a 2019 document, but given the variety of products they need, in a place like here, it's a no brainer for a dealer to go to Imperial Oil (or Shell or Wakefield) over anything off the beaten path, particularly if they need a wide variety of lubricants.

Funny how everyone says Mobil 1 because of the marketing. My E320 came with Fuchs factory fill. The US FCC. states so on their website. The Bevo list use to say this before the Mobil deal.

From https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1124904707788/Mercedes-Benz%20Engine%20 and Oil%20Recommendations.pdf
"Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642)"
People on the Poland MB forum say Petronas is the factory fill and people in Portugal say Aral. 🤷‍♂️
It's all in marketing, not in substance.
I want to try out Astro Boy oil myself

JohnG: You can get 7 qts of MB oil, 229.5, at your dealer for about $55 . Then there is no question of correct oil. At this time I am running QuakerState E Euro in mine but the next change will get the MB brand.

Back