I test drove a 2011 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lovcom
Too often, middle class guys spend $33,000+ for such a car. The heck with the kid's braces, family vacations, extracurricular activities, and the fact that mom too has to work to support such a lifestyle. Only the rich should be the only ones that drive such a car. One of the causes of today's economic downturn is middle class trying to live rich. Unless you truly gross $150,000 per year, you have no business forcing your manhood, and need for a toy on your family, and the country, because such purchases often find the purchaser in trouble down the road, and the rest of use have to bail him and his family out. Props to the car enthusiests that drive cheap practical cars, even as they truly deeply love the high-end Cameros, Challangers, and Mustangs.

Middle class that buy these are little boys, that have not grown up yet.

By the way, I LOVE the new Mustang in question, and eventhough I can part with $33k cash today, I don't because there are far more important things to save for, to purchase.

Huh? no disrespect man.....but what the [censored] are you saying?

Too often, middle class guys spend $33,000+ for such a car. The heck with the kid's braces, family vacations, extracurricular activities, and the fact that mom too has to work to support such a lifestyle. Only the rich should be the only ones that drive such a car. One of the causes of today's economic downturn is middle class trying to live rich. Unless you truly gross $150,000 per year, you have no business forcing your manhood, and need for a toy on your family, and the country, because such purchases often find the purchaser in trouble down the road, and the rest of use have to bail him and his family out. Props to the car enthusiests that drive cheap practical cars, even as they truly deeply love the high-end Cameros, Challangers, and Mustangs.

By the way, I LOVE the new Mustang in question, and eventhough I can part with $33k cash today, I don't because there are far more important things to save for, to purchase.

Excuse me? Since when is a 30k vehicle something only the "rich" can buy? And, since when is it a bad thing for "mom" to have a job?

So, what you your saying is that the working class family is to do nothing more than work their lives away, and never enjoy life by having a few extra things like a muscle car or small boat, motorhome, things that the family can enjoy, etc.

That our only purpose is to "serve" rich snobs so you can enjoy the finer things in life?

I'd really like to tell you where to get off at, but I respect this site too much!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Excuse me? Since when is a 30k vehicle something only the "rich" can buy? And, since when is it a bad thing for "mom" to have a job?

So, what you your saying is that the working class family is to do nothing more than work their lives away, and never enjoy life by having a few extra things like a muscle car or small boat, motorhome, things that the family can enjoy, etc.

That our only purpose is to "serve" rich snobs so you can enjoy the finer things in life?

I'd really like to tell you where to get off at, but I respect this site too much!

I can kinda see where he's coming from, save the judegmental part. I can't see myself ever buying a new vehicle again, not that I can't afford one, but because I think prices have gotten way outta hand. When a person can no longer buy a compact car worth owning for less than $20K, something's gone drastically wrong...

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Oh you are so correct....middle class families CAN buy a $33k, and heck, even a $80k car, but you missed the point. The point is this: SHOULD THEY?

How selfish and inconsiderate for a middle class father to spend such $$ on a toy for himself. In other words, wake up and look at the news...we are in bad times, and no one's job is 100% secure. Buying such an indulgent car in these times is the hieght of inconsideration for one's family, children, FUTURE. And YES, those cars should only be for the rich....truly rich.

Oh, and a man that needs his wife to work too, is a man that cannot afford a family. To leave child care to strangers is shameful. Children are first....not one's selfish desires and wants.

Somehow I get the feeling your definition of the "truly rich" and mine would not be the same.

I get your sentiment and agree with it...but this isn't a supercar with very limited utility we are talking about here. These are pony cars with a healthy dose of performance mixed with some family utility. Someone living on a middle class income who has properly mangaed that income over the years should easily be able to afford these cars.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Somehow I get the feeling your definition of the "truly rich" and mine would not be the same.

I get your sentiment and agree with it...but this isn't a supercar with very limited utility we are talking about here. These are pony cars with a healthy dose of performance mixed with some family utility. Someone living on a middle class income who has properly mangaed that income over the years should easily be able to afford these cars.

True, it's not a super car. But it has a super price. Easily affordability is the wrong metric. A better one is this: Take the cost of the cheapest yet most reliable car that would meet the needs of a family, and lets call that cost X. Then take the cost of the extravagant car, and we’ll call that Y. Lets say that X is $18,000 out the door, and Y is $33,000 out the door.
Now Y-X is $12,000. Now multiply that by a retirement coefficient (how much today’s dollar should grow to have a decent retirement), which conservatively we will place at $3, but really it’s a lot more.
So (Y – X) * 3 = $36,000.00
So is it worth $36,000 for selfish dad (aka Mr. I deserve it) to spend that kind of money when the kids and the wife will have other more pressing expenses?
I know of a few guys at work, that drive top of the line Camaros, Challangers, and a few Mustang dudes….I know for a fact that their children are neglected (rotten or crooked teeth) and their wives all work to support his…ah…spending habits. Half of these idiots live in apartments paying rent! I know for a fact that none of these families take real vacations. It’s all about him, him, him….because “I work hard, I deserve it”.

the fact that I upset a few others here is proof that these types of selfish beasts are amoungs us.

True, it's not a super car. But it has a super price. Easily affordability is the wrong metric. A better one is this: Take the cost of the cheapest yet most reliable car that would meet the needs of a family, and lets call that cost X. Then take the cost of the extravagant car, and we’ll call that Y. Lets say that X is $18,000 out the door, and Y is $33,000 out the door.
Now Y-X is $12,000. Now multiply that by a retirement coefficient (how much today’s dollar should grow to have a decent retirement), which conservatively we will place at $3, but really it’s a lot more.
So is it worth $36,000 for selfish dad (aka Mr. I deserve it) to spend that kind of money when the kids and the wife will have other more pressing expenses?
I know of a few guys at work, that drive top of the line Camaros, Challangers, and a few Mustang dudes….I know for a fact that their children are neglected (rotten or crooked teeth) and their wives all work to support his…ah…spending habits. Half of these idiots live in apartments paying rent! I know for a fact that none of these families take real vacations. It’s all about him, him, him….because “I work hard, I deserve it”.

the fact that I upset a few others here is proof that these types of selfish beasts are amoungs us.

My advice to you; tone it down a bit or you wont be here long. i.e comments like; a person is an idiot because they rent. That may be what they are happy with.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
My advice to you; tone it down a bit or you wont be here long. i.e comments like; a person is an idiot because they rent. That may be what they are happy with.

I never said a person that rented was an idiot....you need to read better.

I guess our definitions of "afford" would differ from each other as well...lol. To me and most people with a brain, affording something means that you can comfortably own it and that it in no way could/would affect the real vital/important expenses in life that come up.

The only "proof" I'm seeing of anything is that you are a judgemental dnozzle who makes a lot of assumptions about others.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

At least we all have someone to live up to now.

Very well put into perspective Steve.

I guess our definitions of "afford" would differ from each other as well...lol. To me and most people with a brain, affording something means that you can comfortably own it and that it in no way could/would affect the real vital/important expenses in life that come up.

The only "proof" I'm seeing of anything is that you are a judgemental dnozzle who makes a lot of assumptions about others.

LOL. When I was under 20 years of age, I said the same things to my father. I too got angry because deep down inside I knew his advise was right on.

Then I grew up.

Your comments must make you feel good.. They allow you to be popular and make you feel warm because your comments are backed by most.

Now you are accepted and one of the "good guys".

Wisdom often walks alone.

I'm sorry, but I think you are a bit off in left field here.

I don't make 150K a year (I'd love to though!), I live in a decent sized brick house (around 90 years old), my wife is a stay-at-home mom, we have three kids, three vehicles, a four wheeler and enjoy plenty of extracurricular activities. Our vacations involve going out of province for a few weeks in the summer, usually to the East Coast.

I have full dental through work as part of my health insurance.

I have plenty of toys, and my wife has a few as well. Our kids are well looked after. Did I mention I don't make 150K a year? I'm not sure where you came up with this figure, but to afford a 20-30K vehicle particularly with today's financing rates and terms, does not require somebody to be making that kind of money. It involves being responsible and making good choices.

Oh, and we have no credit cards either. Our debt is our mortgage.

I would have thought a Chevy loving guy could get this topic locked but this came straight from the left field!

For my 50th birthday present next year I am seriously considering buying a used Grand Sport Vette, I got the money to afford it but I doubt my wife will give me the OK to buy it.

Its OK to spend money on a toy you can use every day and still have money left over to pay bills and save for retirement. With 2 grown kids I feel that it won't hurt my retirement nest egg if I buy a Grand Sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back