I really tried to resurrect this 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring, 2.4

Your a good man.

I had one of those as a rental around that vintage. I only remember it because it very well might have been the worst car I have ever driven.
It felt strangely familiar (in an uncomfortable way)
Then I remembered my work vehicle is a 2013 Jeep Patriot, with the same 2.4 World engine, and similar switchgear
Even the transmissions felt similar 😳
Except my work Jeep has a CVT 🤔
That's not a good thing... 💀

that car really needed some love!

btw, i'm not surprised it lasted that long, at 200K mile;, if you go and do some research on Dodge Avenger with 2.4L engine and its 4 speed auto, you'll find them many with the north of 200K miles on its odometer

Usually snake oil isn't worth the bottle that it's put in, but the one exception might be Lucas transmission fix. I've heard many people comment that automatic
transmissions that were acting up ran fine after a bottle of Lucas transmission fix was added.

I've never used it myself but I've seen good post made about it. Maybe a few other people could chime in about their experience with products to put in Transmissions that are in their last part of their life.

Usually snake oil isn't worth the bottle that it's put in, but the one exception might be Lucas transmission fix. I've heard many people comment that automatic
transmissions that were acting up ran fine after a bottle of Lucas transmission fix was added.

I've never used it myself but I've seen good post made about it. Maybe a few other people could chime in about their experience with products to put in Transmissions that are in their last part of their life.
If they came to me and said, we don't care how it goes, try it, if the cars getting junked anyway
I'd amble down to a parts store, grab a bottle of Lucas, and maybe 3qts of ATF+4, suck what I can out of the dipstick and chase the Lucas with some fresh ATF+4

Only if the cars literally not being relied on anymore, would I consider this experiment

He has his area of expertise (medical field), I have mine (general wrenching)
While I agree that a lot of men are unnecessarily hopeless, some context is acceptable
The pharmacist/surgeon/accountant/lawyer all have their craft and areas of expertise
I turn to them for theirs, they turn to me for mine
Yep, absolutely! (y)

The Escape has a similar code for the front cat. I have one of those pieces somewhere wonder if I should try it.. probably won't no emissions here in KS.
I've had good luck with them
They're getting a little harder to find, sometimes gotta order AliExpress and wait, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get an older/high mileage car by

Funny, I had a different experience with Lucas trans fix. It did nothing. So I waited a few weeks, nothing improved, no difference, then I added Bars Trans Fix and it was FIXED.

If they came to me and said, we don't care how it goes, try it, if the cars getting junked anyway
I'd amble down to a parts store, grab a bottle of Lucas, and maybe 3qts of ATF+4, suck what I can out of the dipstick and chase the Lucas with some fresh ATF+4

Only if the cars literally not being relied on anymore, would I consider this experiment

But what if it's just the output shaft speed sensor, as that code would tend to indicate? Lucas isn't going to improve things.

But what if it's just the output shaft speed sensor, as that code would tend to indicate? Lucas isn't going to improve things.
Look at the screenshot again
P0740, Torque Converter

According to Chrysler, P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE
When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) can be locked or partially locked when certain
conditions are met. The TCC piston is electronically modulated by increasing the duty cycle of the LR/TCC solenoid until
the torque converter slip difference (difference between engine and turbine speed) is within 60 RPM. Then the LR/TCC
solenoid is fully energized (FEMCC / 100% duty cycle). Torque converter slip is monitored in FEMCC to ensure adequate
clutch capacity. The MIL will illuminate if the trans accumulates five minutes of inadequate TCC capacity (slip) while in
FEMCC mode. The transmission will still attempt normal EMCC operation (will not be in Limp-in) even after the MIL is
illuminated.

I'm assuming converter failure due to the high mileage

Look at the screenshot again
P0740, Torque Converter

According to Chrysler, P0740-TCC OUT OF RANGE
When in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) can be locked or partially locked when certain
conditions are met. The TCC piston is electronically modulated by increasing the duty cycle of the LR/TCC solenoid until
the torque converter slip difference (difference between engine and turbine speed) is within 60 RPM. Then the LR/TCC
solenoid is fully energized (FEMCC / 100% duty cycle). Torque converter slip is monitored in FEMCC to ensure adequate
clutch capacity. The MIL will illuminate if the trans accumulates five minutes of inadequate TCC capacity (slip) while in
FEMCC mode. The transmission will still attempt normal EMCC operation (will not be in Limp-in) even after the MIL is
illuminated.

I'm assuming converter failure due to the high mileage
Doh! For some reason I thought it was 720 not 740. Disregard.

Could be the TCC solenoid I suppose, or even fluid level, but not sure what the common cause of this code on this trans is. @TeamZero would know.

View attachment 132850
That beam pattern is sus 😳
They're aware it's reaching EOL, I believe the owners moving on/up in his field, so a new family car is in the near future
I'm noticing a trend with the basket cases that come across my driveway
A lot of people seem all too eager to shift into palliative care on a car
Everyone does it at different stages, for different reasons
It's always much later than I do tho 😳
Sounds like the car was in a crash and aftermarket lights were installed. Hence the hot spot on the passenger side. I installed a set of TYCs into an old van, it was serviceable but markedly different than OE Stanley. It passed the snuff of an CA-certified light adjuster though.

I ordered a dipstick, so I can check fluid level
I might entertain sucking a quart or two out, add some Bars or Lucas trans additive, top off with ATF+4
And see what that does
Probably won't do anything, but would be an interesting experiment 🤔

They want to buy Project xB 😭

When you go to get the recall done talk to the trans guy at the dealer see if you can get him to do “side work” of putting a tq converter and a filter in it. It’s not a big job on a 2.4 especially for a dealer trans guy easy $ for him

740s are almost always a converter on a 62

Back