I put FRAM 5w-40 in my 2022 6.7

Around 850 miles on this oil, it finally turned black. It’s around the same mileage that rotella turns black. I don’t have any complaints yet

This is from a RAM service bulletin regarding 15w-40 in a 2019+ 6.7 Cummins

CAUTION! 15W-40 grade oil CAN NOT be used in any 2019 model year or newer 6.7L equipped vehicles due to the new designed valve train of this engine. If this oil is used, it will cause deposits to form in the Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters leading to undesirable noise, and/or engine damage. For any additional information regarding oil usage on these vehicles, please be sure to refer to the owner’s manual. POLICY: Information Only
Is this information from Cummins or Ram? I’m willing to bet just about every 6.7 in an industrial or OTR application is running 15w40 with no issues. I service several that are and have sold parts to countless others. I can’t imagine there’s much difference from industrial to a Ram pickup where the valve train is concerned.

Doesn't the Cummins 6.7 use a water cooled Holset turbocharger? Unless you changed it to an aftermarket twin turbo or whatever, idling for two minutes isn't going to do much of anything to cool it.
I think the VGT actuator is all that is cooled by coolant on the Cummins 6.7.

Is this information from Cummins or Ram? I’m willing to bet just about every 6.7 in an industrial or OTR application is running 15w40 with no issues. I service several that are and have sold parts to countless others. I can’t imagine there’s much difference from industrial to a Ram pickup where the valve train is concerned.

I’m pretty sure it’s from RAM but I don’t know

The 2019+ Ram 6.7 went to a hydraulic roller lifter non adjustable valvetrain. The commercial/OTR 6.7's still have the flat tappet adjustable lash valve train. The 6.7's between the two are quite a bit different, the Ram version has a front geartrain, CGI block, 10 bolt flywheel flange, and some other improvements to reach the 420hp 1075 lb ft of torque.

I don’t have any complaints about this oil so far, I’d like to know the zinc and phosphorus content

By the way, should I run 5w-40 year round? I was a little shocked when I opened up the RAM owners manual and saw they recommend 10w-30 when temps are
North of 0 degrees and they only recommend 5w-40 ONLY for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I found it odd they didn’t recommend 5w-40 for temps
North of 105 degrees…

Is the 10w-30 recommendation really about CAFE?

Attachments

• 07r00105.jpg
    07r00105.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 38
By the way, should I run 5w-40 year round? I was a little shocked when I opened up the RAM owners manual and saw they recommend 10w-30 when temps are
North of 0 degrees and they only recommend 5w-40 ONLY for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I found it odd they didn’t recommend 5w-40 for temps
North of 105 degrees…

Is the 10w-30 recommendation really about CAFE?
this straight out of a Cummins Shop Manual... which should answer your question

Attachments

• 07r00105.jpg
    07r00105.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 34
I fill with 5w40 synthetic year round on the ones I service. Have done a few in summer with 10w30 ones that get oil changed a lot (transporters) since it is a little cheaper T5 vs T6

I normally only have my parts dept stock the 5w40

No worries running it like that many over 100k I see normally

Back