I put FRAM 5w-40 in my 2022 6.7

No one has mentioned temps. Its for the owner to look at common grade/temp charts and decide for himself. I would think that before critiquing an oil grade choice, one would get more data. Some questioned thick vs thin and post 12 is worth reading as to silence the ESG crowd.

Pouring back to the pan is as important as 'being pumped' into the engine.

This is from a RAM service bulletin regarding 15w-40 in a 2019+ 6.7 Cummins

CAUTION! 15W-40 grade oil CAN NOT be used in any 2019 model year or newer 6.7L equipped vehicles due to the new designed valve train of this engine. If this oil is used, it will cause deposits to form in the Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters leading to undesirable noise, and/or engine damage. For any additional information regarding oil usage on these vehicles, please be sure to refer to the owner’s manual. POLICY: Information Only

CAUTION! 15W-40 grade oil CAN NOT be used in any 2019 model year or newer 6.7L equipped vehicles due to the new designed valve train of this engine. If this oil is used, it will cause deposits to form in the Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters leading to undesirable noise, and/or engine damage. For any additional information regarding oil usage on these vehicles, please be sure to refer to the owner’s manual. POLICY: Information Only
We had this discussion on this topic earlier this year and absolutely the TSB made no sense to anyone and has no logic in its wording.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...0w30-on-2019my-15w40-can-cause-damage.357089/

And apparently what little sense it does make is not actually related to the winter rating. It is solely the expected base stock composition.

So much misunderstanding and miss information about what the winter rating means and what it does not mean.

anyway I’ve never sent in an oil analysis before, I’m thinking about sending an oil sample to black stone at 4,000 miles. Is it a rather simple easy process to do?

By the way, should I run 5w-40 year round? I was a little shocked when I opened up the RAM owners manual and saw they recommend 10w-30 when temps are
North of 0 degrees and they only recommend 5w-40 ONLY for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I found it odd they didn’t recommend 5w-40 for temps
North of 105 degrees…

Is the 10w-30 recommendation really about CAFE?
Personally I'd run 5w-40 in it all year and sleep better at night. That's what we run in our new Ram field service trucks as well. We had a new tech start at our shop last week who came from a Ram dealer. We got into an oil discussion and he stated that all they used at that dealer was Rotella T6 5w-40. He also stated that he had replaced 9 camshafts in 2019+ Rams with 6.7's in 2022 due to the owners running 15w-40. Not sure if the hydraulic lifters just don't respond properly or stick at startup. We still run solid lifters in the commercial and industrial versions of the 6.7 and it can still run 15w-40 with no issues. So I thankfully don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Edit: I forgot to mention he did say it was mainly in the northern cold climate states that they were having the issue with the hydraulic lifters.

Personally I'd run 5w-40 in it all year and sleep better at night. That's what we run in our new Ram field service trucks as well. We had a new tech start at our shop last week who came from a Ram dealer. We got into an oil discussion and he stated that all they used at that dealer was Rotella T6 5w-40. He also stated that he had replaced 9 camshafts in 2019+ Rams with 6.7's in 2022 due to the owners running 15w-40. Not sure if the hydraulic lifters just don't respond properly or stick at startup. We still run solid lifters in the commercial and industrial versions of the 6.7 and it can still run 15w-40 with no issues. So I thankfully don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Edit: I forgot to mention he did say it was mainly in the northern cold climate states that they were having the issue with the hydraulic lifters.
So if the issue was in the northern climate is it possible or probable that they were running 15w40 beyond it’s cold start ability if we were to blame the oil.

So if the issue was in the northern climate is it possible or probable that they were running 15w40 beyond it’s cold start ability if we were to blame the oil.
I’d say that’s highly likely, at least the only reason I can think of where the viscosity would make a big difference. There’s plenty of farmers and fleets up here in Minnesota that’ll run the same oil in all their equipment. Or people that didn’t know about the lifter change or TSB and just run the same 15w-40 that they always have and then we get a cold snap for weeks. We have fleets of school buses or box vans running the commercial version of the 6.7 with whatever cheap 15w-40 they can find with no cam or lifter issues. Can’t remember the last time we’ve even had to replace a cam in a 6.7 to be honest. So I’m sure that really muddies the water a bit too.

Apparently this is one of the engines you’d really want to pay attention to the OEM recommendations, especially in cold climates.

I also always cool the turbocharger down for at least two minutes before I **** the truck off and I always let the oil warm up before applying on boost on the turbo
Doesn't the Cummins 6.7 use a water cooled Holset turbocharger? Unless you changed it to an aftermarket twin turbo or whatever, idling for two minutes isn't going to do much of anything to cool it.

Doesn't the Cummins 6.7 use a water cooled Holset turbocharger? Unless you changed it to an aftermarket twin turbo or whatever, idling for two minutes isn't going to do much of anything to cool it.

no. The new 2023 6.7 high output power stroke from Ford has a water cooled one.

no. The new 2023 6.7 high output power stroke from Ford has a water cooled one.
Which turbo does your engine have? My 2007 Ram was the first year of the 6.7, and it had a water cooled Holset HE351VE. I have a hard time believing they don't use water cooling on the newer ones, to protect the variable geometry hardware on the compressor.

Which turbo does your engine have? My 2007 Ram was the first year of the 6.7, and it had a water cooled Holset HE351VE. I have a hard time believing they don't use water cooling on the newer ones, to protect the variable geometry hardware on the compressor.
I don’t know which holset it has, but if the 2007 6.7 had one then I’d assume mine does too. I just haven’t seen anything in the literature or the owners manual that says it’s water cooled. It just mentions that it has a Variable geometry turbocharger on it.

I don’t know which holset it has, but if the 2007 6.7 had one then I’d assume mine does too. I just haven’t seen anything in the literature or the owners manual that says it’s water cooled. It just mentions that it has a Variable geometry turbocharger on it.
If someone has an older diesel, like a Cummins 5.9 or one of the Mercedes 5-cylinder diesels from the 1980s, then a couple minutes of idling prior to shutdown can be beneficial, especially if the engine was pushed hard immediately before parking. Almost all turbocharged vehicles now have water cooled turbos, so the turbo bearings and oil stay relatively cool. If you're climbing a long, steep mountain grade and pull over to a rest stop it's a good idea to let it idle for a minute to let the turbo normalize. But if you're just driving normally and park the vehicle, letting it "cool" by idling for a couple of minutes isn't really doing anything.

I confirmed it’s made by Amalie

Bottom of the bottles they come in have AOC (Amalie oil company) on the bottom

Back