I messed up, big time, trying to flush tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
i'm going to try some thread sealant but i'm wondering if i can use a radiator with trans cooler built in from a different year vic? were they ever part of the radiator? i don't mind changing the radiator as that's easy and i should probably put fresh coolant in anyway since idk if it was ever changed.
Way back in the 1997 down. Should fit. Might do what I said and look for the factory trans cooler used 98-04. Later I can take a pic of a 2002 radiator with one attached to show you how it mounts. If your radiator still has the mounting spots for it, I imagine it will drop in..

looked on rockauto and ebay and radiators seem to be different sizes between 97 and 07 :'( can't find factory trans cooler, just the aftermarket ones.

Yeah, what I did when I blew my trans was buy one out of a junkyard, and I found you can actually remove the thermostat so I flushed it with brake cleaner until it ran clear. Then let it dry for a few days. I think to get a new factory 04 trans cooler, you have to buy a cooling package with the radiator and everything. I dont even know if they still have them in stock.
So, yeah. Thats where I would buy one. All panthers had the same cooling package, within a given year, after 1997. So, a trans cooler out of a babied Town car is the same that was in a Police car.

i'm going to try some thread sealant but i'm wondering if i can use a radiator with trans cooler built in from a different year vic? were they ever part of the radiator? i don't mind changing the radiator as that's easy and i should probably put fresh coolant in anyway since idk if it was ever changed.
Way back in the 1997 down. Should fit. Might do what I said and look for the factory trans cooler used 98-04. Later I can take a pic of a 2002 radiator with one attached to show you how it mounts. If your radiator still has the mounting spots for it, I imagine it will drop in..

looked on rockauto and ebay and radiators seem to be different sizes between 97 and 07 :'( can't find factory trans cooler, just the aftermarket ones.

Yeah, what I did when I blew my trans was buy one out of a junkyard, and I found you can actually remove the thermostat so I flushed it with brake cleaner until it ran clear. Then let it dry for a few days. I think to get a new factory 04 trans cooler, you have to buy a cooling package with the radiator and everything. I dont even know if they still have them in stock.
So, yeah. Thats where I would buy one. All panthers had the same cooling package, within a given year, after 1997. So, a trans cooler out of a babied Town car is the same that was in a Police car.

great, thank you, i might have to make a trip to the junkyard then

Jesus is that stupid. First of all your supposed to take the top line off the cooler and not the bottom but not by using the metal connector but the rubber hose interface then just pump it out till it starts sputtering. Shut off the car. Fill it back up.

Drive it for a week then next weekend do the same again. That really doesn't do a whole lot but smarter then dumping fresh and then putting fresh back in. You just wasted 20 quarts of fluid. Pumped in fresh pumped out fresh.You have to put some miles on the car with your plan. Circulate it.

OR

Do it right buy an ADR or uhaul trans pan and trans filter the 150. The ADR pan has a dump bolt. Remove pan use its original rubber gasket and bolt up new adr pan. There like $20 on amazon same for filter. before dropping the pan Pump out the fluid using the rubber hose gimmick. That way the pan will be pretty empty. New pan and filter takes about 6-8 quarts.

I have owned 4 Crown Vic p71's and now own a mint 2004 GMQ and really the only trans fluid the 4R70 likes is Ford Mercon V. I wouldn't be caught dead running that crap you just put in it. 4R70 is fussy unless you drive like an old lady. I don't. I pummel my cars lol. Never lost a trans yet.....but I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I’ve dumped the trans fluid in the Marauder twice, via pan drop. Refilled it with Maxlife. It’s not really hard to drop the pan... and you avoid all this issue. Plus you can replace the filter. Don’t want to shill Maxlife, but it’s in 3 of my cars and we beat on them like they owe us money. Over 450k on the three vehicles combined. Drag racing with the Marauder and towing a horse trailer with the Santa Fe.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I’ve dumped the trans fluid in the Marauder twice, via pan drop. Refilled it with Maxlife. It’s not really hard to drop the pan... and you avoid all this issue. Plus you can replace the filter. Don’t want to shill Maxlife, but it’s in 3 of my cars and we beat on them like they owe us money. Over 450k on the three vehicles combined. Drag racing with the Marauder and towing a horse trailer with the Santa Fe.

Maxlife is the best I have used in GM and Honda! I can't speak to its performance in Ford products, but I would not hesitate to try it wherever Valvoline recommends it.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Bypass the condenser POS trans cooler and mount a aftermarket cooler in front of it.

And I dont see anything wrong with running that much fluid through it. I have before run a 12 pack through and then a few thousand later do a JMod which takes about 10qts to refill after completion. Its a 12qt capacity so it takes quite a bit to exchange all the fluid in the trans.

i tried that with a Hayden unit and it didn't seem to provide particularly good cooling, and it doesn't have the thermostatic bypass the factory one does.

Was it a stacked plate type?

Tube and fin type are a lot less efficient comparatively. I wouldnt worry about the bypass too much where you are. If you lived in the mountains or further north, maybe. However, there are aftermarket bypass valves if needed. I just think that condenser arrangement is the stupidest thing ever and I would be converting away from it ASAP if I had a 05+

Do you really need that much trans cooling capacity for a car that never tows anything? I understand that now is the time to do it instead of fixing the integrated, but it seems like a lot of work for a car that is not known to have problems with the factory trans cooler.

Why not? Heat kills Transmissions its part of their life calculation. Keeping it cool = longer life.

Originally Posted By: RyanY
Originally Posted By: 69Torino

Maxlife is the best I have used in GM and Honda! I can't speak to its performance in Ford products, but I would not hesitate to try it wherever Valvoline recommends it.

It’s a little thinner than Mercon V, but about the same as Mercon LV. So I’m the Marauder it allows for about 100 rpm more stall speed from the converter. Not a big difference, nor does it matter. It just stays very clean and bright, especially in the power steering systems. (I use it there too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back