I messed up, big time, trying to flush tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RyanY
Is this the part you need, or are Fords different than GM?

I can't tell but it sounds to me like he messed up the fitting in the cooler as well. I have replaced those fittings before too.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: RyanY
Is this the part you need, or are Fords different than GM?

I can't tell but it sounds to me like he messed up the fitting in the cooler as well. I have replaced those fittings before too.

Thanks, but no the problem is the threads in the cooler/condensor, which is one piece :'(

Since I got my new fittings to thread in nicely but it leaks, can I just use thread sealant and will that solve the problem?

These are the fittings I'm using. It just barely leaks a tiny bit: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-101011-785-408d.aspx

thanks

Last edited:
Bypass the condenser POS trans cooler and mount a aftermarket cooler in front of it.

And I dont see anything wrong with running that much fluid through it. I have before run a 12 pack through and then a few thousand later do a JMod which takes about 10qts to refill after completion. Its a 12qt capacity so it takes quite a bit to exchange all the fluid in the trans.

Crown vics and Grand Marquis take a lot of tyranny fluid. I just pulled the rubber hoses on the cooler lines on my GM.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Bypass the condenser POS trans cooler and mount a aftermarket cooler in front of it.

And I dont see anything wrong with running that much fluid through it. I have before run a 12 pack through and then a few thousand later do a JMod which takes about 10qts to refill after completion. Its a 12qt capacity so it takes quite a bit to exchange all the fluid in the trans.

i tried that with a Hayden unit and it didn't seem to provide particularly good cooling, and it doesn't have the thermostatic bypass the factory one does.

Are you sure there’s an o-ring at the end of the fitting? That dorman fitting looks like just regular tapered pipe threads in which case it definitely needs some thread tape or if you want to be really sure get some setting pipe thread sealant and let it set for a day or two, before starting it up.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Are you sure there’s an o-ring at the end of the fitting? That dorman fitting looks like just regular tapered pipe threads in which case it definitely needs some thread tape or if you want to be really sure get some setting pipe thread sealant and let it set for a day or two, before starting it up.

well i didn't think it would work without an o-ring so i put one on the end, between the flat surface at the end of the dorman fitting and the wall or rim or whatever inside the cooler. idk if the o-ring is even doing anything, i suspect no since it's leaking. i probably need a fatter one but couldn't find anything that would work. yeah, i will probably end up using thread sealant, we sell that the o'

Have you tried Teflon tape as someone already mentioned? I like the yellow one, it's thicker than the standard white tape. It might be worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Have you tried Teflon tape as someone already mentioned? I like the yellow one, it's thicker than the standard white tape. It might be worth a shot.

+1

Originally Posted By: dogememe

i tried that with a Hayden unit and it didn't seem to provide particularly good cooling, and it doesn't have the thermostatic bypass the factory one does.

Was it a stacked plate type?

Tube and fin type are a lot less efficient comparatively. I wouldnt worry about the bypass too much where you are. If you lived in the mountains or further north, maybe. However, there are aftermarket bypass valves if needed. I just think that condenser arrangement is the stupidest thing ever and I would be converting away from it ASAP if I had a 05+

Tube and fin type are a lot less efficient comparatively. I wouldnt worry about the bypass too much where you are. If you lived in the mountains or further north, maybe. However, there are aftermarket bypass valves if needed. I just think that condenser arrangement is the stupidest thing ever and I would be converting away from it ASAP if I had a 05+

Do you really need that much trans cooling capacity for a car that never tows anything? I understand that now is the time to do it instead of fixing the integrated, but it seems like a lot of work for a car that is not known to have problems with the factory trans cooler.

I agree the condenser unit combination is stupid, not from a cooling aspect but because of the expense to repair. I wish it was part of the radiator, because then I could have just replaced the radiator and been on my merry way.

Yes the one I tried looked a bit like that, I think it was model 679.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Do you really need that much trans cooling capacity for a car that never tows anything? I understand that now is the time to do it instead of fixing the integrated, but it seems like a lot of work for a car that is not known to have problems with the factory trans cooler.

Idk I tow with my Crown Vic.
The factory one in 98-04 cars is probably about that size, however it sits between the condenser and radiator so if you're running the A/C its gonna need more surface area. So from that perspective, the condenser unit does possibly cool better during the summer time, since it is right out front. But, like hes running into if something happens to it, then you are looking at a condenser replacement. Which isnt simple and Im..against opening A/C systems unless its already broken. You get some contamination or what have you in there and its done. Then you're back into it again.
Something I intend to look at some point, is to see if the mounts for the 98-04 cooler is still on the radiator on 05-11. I am looking at a 07 right now so if I can drop a older factory cooler on it Ill be very happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
The only fittings I’ve seen with o rings have a little lip on them that it sits on like so:

The end of that is pretty much how the factory setup looked. But I need the other end to go to 5/16 hose...

Last edited:
i'm going to try some thread sealant but i'm wondering if i can use a radiator with trans cooler built in from a different year vic? were they ever part of the radiator? i don't mind changing the radiator as that's easy and i should probably put fresh coolant in anyway since idk if it was ever changed.

Last edited:
i'm going to try some thread sealant but i'm wondering if i can use a radiator with trans cooler built in from a different year vic? were they ever part of the radiator? i don't mind changing the radiator as that's easy and i should probably put fresh coolant in anyway since idk if it was ever changed.
Way back in the 1997 down. Should fit. Might do what I said and look for the factory trans cooler used 98-04. Later I can take a pic of a 2002 radiator with one attached to show you how it mounts. If your radiator still has the mounting spots for it, I imagine it will drop in..

Last edited:
Way back in the 1997 down. Should fit. Might do what I said and look for the factory trans cooler used 98-04. Later I can take a pic of a 2002 radiator with one attached to show you how it mounts. If your radiator still has the mounting spots for it, I imagine it will drop in..

looked on rockauto and ebay and radiators seem to be different sizes between 97 and 07 :'( can't find factory trans cooler, just the aftermarket ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back