I"m scared of small sidewalls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
195 70x14s for the 528es, 235 75 15s on the Rat. Low profile tires are more of a fashion statement than a performance upgrade.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Low profile tires are more of a fashion statement than a performance upgrade.

I agree once one gets into the serious 'rubber band' territory (less than a 35/40 aspect ratio).
wink.gif

I went from the 225/50-16 OEM tire to 205/55-16 on my 3er track rat. The guys in CCA Club Racing discovered that the 205s had more than enough grip and were a bit lighter than the 225s.

I hate that my '13 Mazdaspeed 3 has 225/40/18 tires. Part of the cars rough ride character is due to short sidewalls and the lousy Dunlop SP 2050 tires that comes with it. These tires have probably the worst rating in tirerack's whole index of products. I am pondering what tire to replace the SPs without going to the mi$$helins. Like my 330ci I'm sure the Speed will grind through any tire in 15 - 20 k miles.
Sure wish mazda would have used a 45 series tire instead ...

Last time I wanted to change to a new tire size, I was told by the supervisor that changing from the OE spec was not recommended.

I'm currently deciding on changing from stock 215/45-17 to a narrower/taller 205/50-17. The 10mm width difference and extra sidewall won't be too noticeable mechanically, nor have much fitment issues.

(Calculator provided by miata.net)
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/45-17 3.8in 12.3in 24.6in 77.3in 819 0.0%
205/50-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.1in 78.8in 804 1.8%

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I hate that my '13 Mazdaspeed 3 has 225/40/18 tires. Part of the cars rough ride character is due to short sidewalls and the lousy Dunlop SP 2050 tires that comes with it. These tires have probably the worst rating in tirerack's whole index of products. I am pondering what tire to replace the SPs without going to the mi$$helins. Like my 330ci I'm sure the Speed will grind through any tire in 15 - 20 k miles.
Sure wish mazda would have used a 45 series tire instead ...

I get @27k out of just about every tire I have run on my 2007. And the PSS are pricey(I won my set), but they are simply amazing tires.

Originally Posted By: andyd
195 70x14s for the 528es, 235 75 15s on the Rat. Low profile tires are more of a fashion statement than a performance upgrade.

Pretty broad statement. I would add that this is for platforms that are engineered that way.

My car is a 5 seat luxury sedan that rides very well even with 275/35/20's on it. It came stock with 20 X 9 forged aluminum wheels and a 245/45/20 tire.

With the proper tires it easily pulls more than a full G on a 300 ft. skidpad and can really surprise you at the road course.

I would also strongly recommend the PSS tires to the MS3 owners. They not only beat most tires in raw traction but they ride amazingly well also...

The WRX I have came with 225/45R17. This is a great size as a lot of Miatas take that size so you can buy or get reviews for just about every performance tire in existence.

I went to 16" rims with 55 aspect ratio tires after I did this to a brand new Nokian WRG2.
i-88xnWGp-L.jpg

Twice.....

In Summer I use Continental ExtremeContact DW as it has a good balance of wet performance, dry performance, and wear. http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires...tact_dw_en.html

Based on this and user reviews.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/continental-extremecontact-dw-page-6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back