I just took a Honda VTR Superhawk for a ride

Wow, what an impressive machine! I haven't felt acceleration like that since my Vmax, even then, this thing have been even quicker. The 996CC V-twin makes power from idle all the way to redline. The bottom end and mid range punch this thing has is incredible! The front wheel came off a few times, once I even had my entire torso laying on the tank. A guy I know has one for sale and he let me ride it. I would love to have one just to have a light weight, flick-able bike to ride around in the local area. One problem though. The riding position puts most of your upper body weight on your arms and hands, which gets uncomfortable pretty quickly. Too bad Honda couldn't come up with a similar ride for this engine, only with a more comfortable riding position...

Wow, what an impressive machine! I haven't felt acceleration like that since my Vmax, even then, this thing have been even quicker. The 996CC V-twin makes power from idle all the way to redline. The bottom end and mid range punch this thing has is incredible! The front wheel came off a few times, once I even had my entire torso laying on the tank. A guy I know has one for sale and he let me ride it. I would love to have one just to have a light weight, flick-able bike to ride around in the local area. One problem though. The riding position puts most of your upper body weight on your arms and hands, which gets uncomfortable pretty quickly. Too bad Honda couldn't come up with a similar ride for this engine, only with a more comfortable riding position..
Being uncomfortable on a sport bike means you aren't going fast enough !!! [Me bad]

Reactions: FZ1
While not of the same caliber, I had a Suzuki SV1000s with clip on bars. I hated the bars, so I modified the upper tripleclamp to accept a set of Snowmobile handlebar mounts and put a "superbike" bar on it. This single item changed the nature of the bike from awful to wonderful.

At first, I tried the adjustable bars made by "ConvertiBars". They were awful, as they angled back and down way too much for an upright seating position. Plus they started to corrode within a year. I threw them in the trash.

CONVERTIBARS86-2.jpg

This is what I ended up with, although mine were an inch higher. Sooooo much better in every way. Very comfortable to ride for hours. The revised seating position also worked very well with the fairing. As the airflow was just below my helmet and therefore no buffeting.

236847.jpg

Wow, what an impressive machine! I haven't felt acceleration like that since my Vmax, even then, this thing have been even quicker. The 996CC V-twin makes power from idle all the way to redline. The bottom end and mid range punch this thing has is incredible! The front wheel came off a few times, once I even had my entire torso laying on the tank. A guy I know has one for sale and he let me ride it. I would love to have one just to have a light weight, flick-able bike to ride around in the local area. One problem though. The riding position puts most of your upper body weight on your arms and hands, which gets uncomfortable pretty quickly. Too bad Honda couldn't come up with a similar ride for this engine, only with a more comfortable riding position...
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to ride a Triumph Speed Triple for, even, more fun.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to ride a Triumph Speed Triple for, even, more fun.
I actually have ridden one. While the riding position was more comfortable, the power delivery of the VTR was more impressive...it sounded better too...

While not of the same caliber, I had a Suzuki SV1000s with clip on bars. I hated the bars, so I modified the upper tripleclamp to accept a set of Snowmobile handlebar mounts and put a "superbike" bar on it. This single item changed the nature of the bike from awful to wonderful.

At first, I tried the adjustable bars made by "ConvertiBars". They were awful, as they angled back and down way too much for an upright seating position. Plus they started to corrode within a year. I threw them in the trash.

CONVERTIBARS86-2.jpg

This is what I ended up with, although mine were an inch higher. Sooooo much better in every way. Very comfortable to ride for hours. The revised seating position also worked very well with the fairing. As the airflow was just below my helmet and therefore no buffeting.

236847.jpg
Those handlebars would be much better than the stock ones, but I don't know how a person would mount them on the VTR...the handlebars on that bike don't mount like they do on the Suzuki...

Those handlebars would be much better than the stock ones, but I don't know how a person would mount them on the VTR...the handlebars on that bike don't mount like they do on the Suzuki...
There may be a kit available somewhere to put more comfortable bars on it.

I think there is, but I'm not having much luck finding out about them...

There's some options it seems from a Google search.

Last edited:
There's some options it seems from a Google search.

The first one doesn't look like it moves them far enough to make huge difference. The second one does, but it also requires modding the fairing and the windshield. The top ends of the forks protrude far enough through the top of the upper triple tree that it seems like making a set of comfortable handlebars would be a simple task. Just weld some handlebar stock to a clamp the size of the forks, and position the bars so they are at the correct angle. They could even be made adjustable. I think I could design a pair without too much trouble. I would have to find a machine/welding shop that would be willing to weld them...

I owned a 2003 vtr for many years, was a good bike. Moved on to a 2014 ebr 1190rx. Twice as much power, but not twice as much fun.

I owned a 2003 vtr for many years, was a good bike. Moved on to a 2014 ebr 1190rx. Twice as much power, but not twice as much fun.
Not quite twice the power, but certainly a lot more...I've never heard of EBR before...did you mod the VTRs handlebars?

I have had a VTR since 2001, and run up over 150,000 miles on it. It is indeed a great bike (definitely underrated) with narrow ergos and nice mid-range power.Not being a garage queen, I have tried various set-ups to improve long distance riding, including HeliBars and Apex Risers (both work well). In its current incarnation, I converted it to handlebars using a custom Cognito Moto upper triple clamp.

Here is mine in its current ("definitely not stock") trim:

Attachments

• IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 34
Not quite twice the power, but certainly a lot more...I've never heard of EBR before...did you mod the VTRs handlebars?
EBR (Erik Buell Racing) is the successor to Buell after Harley mothballed it. The "1190" engine is a derivative of the 72-degree 1125 cc Helicon mill jointly developed by Buell and Rotax.

Back