I helped my daughter with a bad vehicle situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my grand-kids were little I had brand new front and rear facing car seats in the back of my Accord. There was no problem.
Just sharing my experience. My 3er did not work for us. I'm 6' and could not sit in front of the infant seat we had, either as driver or passenger. No such issue with the X3.

The pulsing brakes can be due to driving style. This can be easily "fixed". Simply roll the vehicle after a few seconds, every few seconds after a hard/panic stop to evenly cool the rotors. Otherwise part of the hot rotor that is under the hot brake pads doesn't cool. This causes the metal to change if it's hot enough from hard/panic stops: it becomes harder metal in that area under the pad and a high spot. The rotors are then garbage and have to be replaced as turning won't remove the hard spots - the tool bounces off the hard spots. Yes you/they need to stop a little short and leave room to roll every few seconds.

Sorry for your loss of $700 spent of yours before dumping it in trade at a dealer.

They should have purchased a Corolla like the one you had little trouble with going 400K+ miles.

Guess you are buying them a timing belt replacement for The Holidays around 2023.

Just sharing my experience. My 3er did not work for us. I'm 6' and could not sit in front of the infant seat we had, either as driver or passenger. No such issue with the X3.
My point was that many people would be fine with front and rear facing car seats in the back of a common (and relatively inexpensive) sedan like an Accord. Other relatively inexpensive sedans (eg Camry) have even more room.

I believe I stated the overdu
An overdue TB job is owner neglect is it not?

I think most normal people wouldn’t go out and buy the same brand of car after having poor luck with a previous model.
I believe I stated the TB WAS owner neglect...

I beg to diff
I don’t know. What objective basis?

I see a van that is the same make, model, and year as ours, without the issues you claim. Sure I get it that ours has 70k vs 129k, but falling apart is either due to age or abuse. Based upon age (and I’d argue the large number of door operations, etc) I’d say no,
These vans aren’t falling apart unless treated badly.

Mileage based wear and need for service should be expected.

Maybe I’ll eat my words when our van is 129k miles. But again, ours is the same age, lives outdoors in the sun, heat, rain, snow, cold.

You haven’t really told us what was not due to neglect. I’d argue the doors are user caused.
Not having the TB done screams user neglect. I mean, the computer and owners manual tells it to be done. What else did they not do that will be attributed to the vehicle falling apart?

View attachment 81532
I beg to differ about the doors. Electric motor failures have nothing to do with owner neglect....

I think my daught
The pulsing brakes can be due to driving style. This can be easily "fixed". Simply roll the vehicle after a few seconds, every few seconds after a hard/panic stop to evenly cool the rotors. Otherwise part of the hot rotor that is under the hot brake pads doesn't cool. This causes the metal to change if it's hot enough from hard/panic stops: it becomes harder metal in that area under the pad and a high spot. The rotors are then garbage and have to be replaced as turning won't remove the hard spots - the tool bounces off the hard spots. Yes you/they need to stop a little short and leave room to roll every few seconds.

Sorry for your loss of $700 spent of yours before dumping it in trade at a dealer.

They should have purchased a Corolla like the one you had little trouble with going 400K+ miles.

Guess you are buying them a timing belt replacement for The Holidays around 2023.
I think my daughter can manage to save up enough money for a new TB in 2 years...

This is a very good point, and I am going to look into this. If the dealer included it in the loan, it will be listed on the paperwork. If it isn't, I will contact him. I checked with her auto insurance company and they do not offer it, but I agree, gap insurance is a MUST...

Something I've noticed in most of the comments in here is that none of you seem to put any value, or see any benefit in having a vehicle that's less likely to experience a break down, or incur more, expensive repairs due to it having far fewer miles. To me, that alone makes the Pilot a better choice than continuing to repair the Odyssey...

I have been reading this thread and holding back. Not going to say right or wrong. Just going to share my personal experience. I tried very hard to stay out of debt and for the most part did just that. When we had two children we had a Volkswagen beetle which got us everywhere and worked just fine. When number three came along we sold the beetle and got a used two door sedan which worked just fine. We got a clamshell top carrier and used it for luggage when we went on trips. When number four came along we sold the sedan and got a large four door sedan which worked okay. It was tight but there was no car payment. It got about 15 mpg and ate front tires like Godzilla but again there was no car payment. I would have absolutely loved to have had a mini van at that point but they would put me into debt which I refused to do. Most of the time my wife was a stay at home mom so we did all this on one income. I look at families today and I really do feel sorry for many of them. Both having to work, maxed out monetarily and thinking they need every new Iphone and suv that comes out. A little restraint would go a long way to curing these issues.

I beg to diff

I beg to differ about the doors. Electric motor failures have nothing to do with owner neglect....
Funny. Ours are working perfect despite multiple uses per side every day. Same age van.

We are careful to keep grit and dirt out of the track, and run them manual if there’s a chance of ice.

Something I've noticed in most of the comments in here is that none of you seem to put any value, or see any benefit in having a vehicle that's less likely to experience a break down, or incur more, expensive repairs due to it having far fewer miles. To me, that alone makes the Pilot a better choice than continuing to repair the Odyssey...
The problem is that you bought a vehicle with a more complex drivetrain, and the same engine with same (worse) fuel economy and other warts that you are griping about, and were the precise issues that caused deferred maintenance that caused them to dump an upside down vehicle and roll the remnant debt into a new loan.

And it’s a Honda no less. Yes I own two, but I’ve never been shy about concerns about materials and whatnot. They have great drivetrains and engines. Yet your daughter cant afford to maintain the engine, and so she buys another Honda with the same engine.

What is the definition of insanity?!?

Honestly, truly, nobody is saying or doing this to be mean or rude. We just all see the next train wreck coming, and she’s already in the tunnel and can see the lights. We’re trying to give that insight. You’re not hearing it. What did you really want, a pat on the back?

If the dealer included it in the loan, it will be listed on the paperwork. If it isn't, I will contact him. I checked with her auto insurance company and they do not offer it
Don't buy gap insurance from a car dealer ! I'm very surprised that a regular insurance company doesn't offer gap insurance. Double-check, seriously.

My point was, the Honda actively tells you when maintenance is due. There is no way you don't know when it's time to do maintenance.
You're correct and I'm not disagreeing with you. What I'm trying to emphasize is that people can benefit by reading the owner's manual for their vehicle. Yes, most of it is very boring and people can skip a lot of it but when I see questions (at other places) like "how do I reset my auto-down window?" or announce that they discovered an easter egg about their car like holding down the unlock button rolls down the window, I just roll my eyes... Both are in the owner's manual.

The problem is that you bought a vehicle with a more complex drivetrain, and the same engine with same (worse) fuel economy and other warts that you are griping about, and were the precise issues that caused deferred maintenance that caused them to dump an upside down vehicle and roll the remnant debt into a new loan.

And it’s a Honda no less. Yes I own two, but I’ve never been shy about concerns about materials and whatnot. They have great drivetrains and engines. Yet your daughter cant afford to maintain the engine, and so she buys another Honda with the same engine.

What is the definition of insanity?!?

Honestly, truly, nobody is saying or doing this to be mean or rude. We just all see the next train wreck coming, and she’s already in the tunnel and can see the lights. We’re trying to give that insight. You’re not hearing it. What did you really want, a pat on the back?
It also has less warts because it has fewer bells and whistles. I will ask you the same thing I asked before; do you completely quit buying vehicles from a particular maker if you have one bad vehicle from them? I don't think this one van is indicative of ALL Hondas. I still think, generally speaking their vehicles are fairly well made and reliable. It's just think that this van had way too many problems that unfortunately, reared their ugly heads all at the same time. My thought is let's move on to something with fewer miles, make the payments, which are roughly the same as they were on the van, and get a break from the huge repair bills (hopefully), regroup, and let's get ahead of the power curve on performing the required maintenance, so we don't run into the same issues with this vehicle. In the meantime, they are driving a vehicle that's less likely to break in the immediate future...

It also has less warts because it has fewer bells and whistles. I will ask you the same thing I asked before; do you completely quit buying vehicles from a particular maker if you have one bad vehicle from them? I don't think this one van is indicative of ALL Hondas. I still think, generally speaking their vehicles are fairly well made and reliable. It's just think that this van had way too many problems that unfortunately, reared their ugly heads all at the same time. My thought is let's move on to something with fewer miles, make the payments, which are roughly the same as they were on the van, and get a break from the huge repair bills (hopefully), regroup, and let's get ahead of the power curve on performing the required maintenance, so we don't run into the same issues with this vehicle. In the meantime, they are driving a vehicle that's less likely to break in the immediate future...
I'm curious, have you done any pre-purchase vehicle inspection to have better understanding of the actual vehicle's condition? if you have, was it a certified 3rd party or you've done it yourself?

Aside from the ones you mentioned earlier, we have a hard time figuring what those problems were aside from a TSB that may or may not apply and the bad door motors.

Also I like my cars loaded. I did the research on all the options, basically all the options on my car are still working and most of the problem people run into are basic problems like engine/transmission that affect all the cars. On some options, you also have the option of not fixing like the door motors. And also I'm not sure you can say it has fewer bells and whistles, lots of people hate 4wd due to the added complexity and worse gas mileage. That option failing you can't really ignore as it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back