I helped my daughter with a bad vehicle situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
grampi, I think one of the problems with this whole thread, is a lot of us are having trouble seeing the problem. The van needed scheduled maintenance. Timing belts and brakes are to be expected after 7+ years and 129k miles. Neither of those are unexpected, it's maintenance. Brakes would have been $150 and 1-2 hours of time. The power doors were a repair item, but can be ignored. They opened and closed manually like vans did 20 years ago right? I know Dodge lets you turn off the power door functionality.
Exactly. Well said.

Everyone on here wants the best for his daughter. Which is why situations like this get jumped on. Because it’s not necessarily the best decision. Lots of knowledge on here that could help make a decision, or at least hear the honest advice they might not wish to but need to.

My in laws have 2004 and 2009 Pilots. I am basically taking care of them as well as their 2001 Lexus ES300.
2009 Pilot is now here in COS as they got place here too (they live in Las Vegas).
I don’t understand trading Odyssey for Pilot. It is basically same vehicle, minus practically of minivan. There is just no way to compare Pilot to Odyssey when it comes to family needs.
Brakes will pulsate in Pilot too. It is known issue. timing belt will also need to be changed etc.
I personally don’t like Pilot as it is not well designed inside. Center console is too wide, and bcs. seats cannot move back far enough, my knee always end up hurting bcs. weird position my leg is in.
Yeah, lack of motorized sliding doors means less things to break, but they are incredibly practical.
Also, OP, you need to have conversation with them about maintaining vehicle. Most expensive are neglected vehicles. If they want to save money, they should maintain it properly.

@grampi I have made mistakes that could have been mitagated by posting on this forum. I recently spent $3,100 on my nieces 2015 Odyssey for timing belt, alternator and oil leak. The valve cover gaskets were leaking, or so I thought. We took it to a shop, as the van was 25 miles away and was dead due to alternator. It is still leaking oil; it was not the valve cover gaskets, rather it was a component on top of the engine which was an easy fix.
Had I posted the leak problem months ago, when I 1st noticed it, I would be at least $1,000 to the good. Oops.
I have been pulling wrenches for 50 years. Live and learn, I guess.

My Jeep is also a 2014. 130k miles. Last month I spent $2,000 on front suspension. And it still clunks. It got a $200 battery. It too needs front brakes. Just put $1,100 of tires on it on Friday.

It is what it is.

My Jeep is also a 2014. 130k miles. Last month I spent $2,000 on front suspension. And it still clunks. It got a $200 battery. It too needs front brakes. Just put $1,100 of tires on it on Friday.

It is what it is.
Our GS tires were $1,600. Sheesh. At least CA wannbe premium 91* at Costco was down to $4.159 today.

It is what it is.
Subframe bushings, my buddy with a Durango (basically same thing) had the dealership fire the parts cannon at his until they figured it out…. All new suspension, drive shaft, AND front differential before they figured it out.

Subframe bushings, my buddy with a Durango (basically same thing) had the dealership fire the parts cannon at his until they figured it out…. All new suspension, drive shaft, AND front differential before they figured it out.
Thanks! I will look into them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back