I had the 'Disappearing Quart' in the Ford this weekend ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd, I thought these came with a 3 cylinder turbo. Not sure what would cause a sudden loss of oil other than a leak or improper break in causing rings to not seat properly.

Unsure of what would cause such high heat on a n/a engine if everything is working properly. The engine bay on the Jetta gets wicked hot quickly. As you described the prop rod and even the dipstick are almost unbearably hot after a drive.

It’s a Ford. That’s all you need to know.
Yes, but prior to the D.I. this was one of the most reliable engines on the market.
Everything else is suspect. But working as well as anything so far.

I have had the worse luck with FORD, FORD Flatrock MAZDA in the 50+ years of buying and owning cars.

It is time for a good one - just due to the luck of the draw :)
p.s.: Subaru engines are no treat either.

Odd, I thought these came with a 3 cylinder turbo. Not sure what would cause a sudden loss of oil other than a leak or improper break in causing rings to not seat properly.

Unsure of what would cause such high heat on a n/a engine if everything is working properly. The engine bay on the Jetta gets wicked hot quickly. As you described the prop rod and even the dipstick are almost unbearably hot after a drive.
Me too. I was at the dealer looking at a New base Mustang GT they had in the showroom, blowing it out for low 30's. I got bad vibe from sitting that car - though the shifter felt miles better than what was in the Camaro LT-1 I sat the week prior; ( I thought it was the same trans, a Getrag MT82 but I see chevy uses the Tremec 6060).

I was surprised to see Ford India installing the 2 litre NA in the AWD base car - and blowing them out for under 17K - which is all of what these CUV are worth. - Ken

btw, the car got "normal driving" for break in. No highway trips, no high speed running - just average acceleration.
The factory oil got dumped at 2K miles and 4 months.

Me too. I was at the dealer looking at a New base Mustang GT they had in the showroom, blowing it out for low 30's. I got bad vibe from sitting that car - though the shifter felt miles better than what was in the Camaro LT-1 I sat the week prior; ( I thought it was the same trans, a Getrag MT82 but I see chevy uses the Tremec 6060).

I was surprised to see Ford India installing the 2 litre NA in the AWD base car - and blowing them out for under 17K - which is all of what these CUV are worth. - Ken

Do they install the motor in India or here in the US? Seems like a waste to ship a motor over there only to have it shipped back for sale.

I saw the Ecosport in SE Asia. Those had the three bangers.

If you truly believe that during completely uncontrolled everyday driving you are capable of detecting a heat exchange difference in the oil through a casual observation of the perceived cooling fan operation then there isn't a lot to talk about here. Besides, where do you think all the heat is going if not into the cooling system? Has the extra quart of oil somehow enabled the oil pan to suddenly radiate more heat? If not, then the demand on the engine coolant is the same as is the subsequent demand on the radiator to reject the heat. You can't have it both ways.
I appreciate that casual observations, completely uncontrolled, provide no presentable data, but they do provide some notice.
I was just surprise that the cooling fan didnt come on after a trip then idling for many minutes in the shopping center parking lot. It was approximately the same distance as when I notice the engine being excessively hot.
Only 5 miles. The only difference was the engine had 4 quarts of oil rather than 3. I appreciated that it now appeared to be running cooler, but was now concerned that the radiator fan did not come on - thinking now is THIS the problem ?

If I get a chance in the coming week, I will take the vehicle on a rigorous highway trip, exit, then park it running with hood closed and observe if the cooling fan operates. Other than that its running well again. - Ken

Do they install the motor in India or here in the US? Seems like a waste to ship a motor over there only to have it shipped back for sale.

I saw the Ecosport in SE Asia. Those had the three bangers.
Not sure, I'll look at the Window sticker, But I recall final assembly being Chennai, India.
The Ford dealer onlne stickers aren't populated with final assembly points.

That’s a good point. I’ve own cars that had the fan running after being shut off in order to cool things off.

Is there a easy way to test the switch for that fan?

That’s a good point. I’ve own cars that had the fan running after being shut off in order to cool things off.

I have no OBDII scan tools. I'm just going to try and force it on by driving conditions. If I turn the AC on it should run, but that will not test the coolant thermal switch.
Car appears to be running fine now, I am just curious about the fan - to put my mind at rest. - Ken

UPDATE: I did another long highway run yesterday (9/17/21), so at the destination, I let the car idle with the hood open, and thankfully the radiator fan did come on.

But on a BAD note, I checked the oil level just now after the trip yesterday, and it is mainly clear but with what appears to be a good amount of relatively large back sooty particles in it.

If I get a chance I will do a oil drop on a blotter and try to photograph it. Or at the very least, a dipstick wipe on a white napkin
I will run it a bit more, but I am thinking I will have to dump this oil with only 2500 miles on it before winter.
I don't like the look of this stuff. Looks toasted. - Ken

I would think 4 cyl engine with a 4qt oil capacity will run noticeably hotter with only 3qts of oil in it. We got the wife's car with only 13K miles on it. It used a qt in 5k miles then didn't use anything after reaching ~25 K. You said you didn't like the looks of the oil. Drain it, so you can look at it closely. I wonder if there is more gas in the oil that is in there. Gas makes a lousy lubricant. Whatever you do, keep us posted please :cool:

I’d change the oil ASAP.
It’s been stressed mainly by being run low, so a lower amount of oil had to absorb more contaminants.
Being run low could also have induced a bit more wear, which adds to the contaminants the oil has to deal with.
Plus less oil is less oil to dissipate heat, so it was more stressed by that as well.
You are being a bit foolish not simply changing the oil - I know you have dumped new crank cases of oil out for less reasons before!!!

I didn't want to post, but I read about this happening a few times on this forum, then it happened to me and this has never happened before, certainly months after an oil change. Just some background. I am retired, I drive the CUV around town at low speed maybe 3-5 miles a day. I don't Idle the car other than the 1 minute warmup form a cold start. Last weekend was a bit different. I was meeting some old High School friends at a car show in Manchester which is about 30 miles from me with about 22 of those driven on a high speed highway. So I attended that show went home an then Sunday met some other friends at a car show in Atkinson, which is about 10 miles from my house.
Well, heading home I decided to stop for gas at my favourite station an IRVING in Plaistow. I had noticed a tiny bit of what seemed like timing chain racket starting the car at home. it wasn't terrible, but this engine has been silent. I popped the hood to check the oil, which i usually do at home about every 2 weeks or so as this thing hasn't burned any oil. Wow it was HOT under there. It was a warm day but nothing crazy - just high 70's low 80's. I could barely touch the hood prop rod. I had only driven the car for 4 miles after a 'cold' start leaving the show. Then I pull the dipstick. NOTHING on there! So I wipe reinsert and finish pumping gas and clean the back window with the filling station squeegee. I pull the dipstick again, and there is just a bit of oil - maybe an 1/8" - on the bottom of the stick well below the fill dot. SO I wipe an reinsert again - same reading. I head home, I don't have "my oil" with me. The top off stuff is at home.
I get home the engine is killer hot under there. Duh, I didnt look at the temp gauge, but I bet it was in the middle. Coolant level was at Max Hot, I decide to let the car sit for a few hours.
Later in the day, I pull the dipstick and I get the same reading below the bottom fill dot (hole, actually). Now this engine has never been flaky. it usually reads a 1/6" below the FULL HOT dot. Always when check Cold. Engine is still very hot. can't even lay your hand on the plastic engine cover. cover. Coolant level is good. So I grab the jug that I used to do the last oil change (Valvoline Advanced 0W20) and add a quart.
Drive around the block and park it. Next day check the oil level and it is good. Car runs reasonably quiet, but I am very hard of hearing with no hearing above 6KHZ. Like an AM Radio. it is running a bit sluggish, but I should mention a couple weeks earlier I got some bad gasoline. About 5 gallons. I know because the car ran bad right after the fillup and bad all of the following week. The I put 3 gallons of Mobil premium in, then the Irving.
So, where did the oil go? This is a D.I. high compression engine - basically the Ford 2 liter ecoboost without the ecoboost or fancy steel reinforced ringland turbo pistons and HD rods, I have a guess but I would appreciate any of your guesses. I think its been 4 months since the last oil change and about only 1900 miles of mainly "old grandma" style driving. Thanks guys and gals (if there are any on here!)
- Ken
Is it possible the last time you changed the oil you drained the oil, changed the filter, put the drain plug back in and then forgot to add the new oil? Just a thought.

Is this the Duratech 2.0 based on the Mazda MZR engine? If so It's a very good engine.
When mine had about 39K I noticed it was down a little over a 1/2 a quart which was unusual because it hadn't burned any oil previously. It turned out to be a leaky oil sender switch which I replaced and had no further oil usage problem.

Last edited:
I don't believe you actually bought bad gasoline as you had stated. The vehicle more than likely was being stressed from something and you didn't notice it and blamed in on bad gasoline. It appears the thermostat was sticking closed if your engine ran extremely hot as you had mentioned. I would think about installing a new thermostat before it happens again. Chances are pretty good this problem will not be a one time incident. Watch that temperature gauge like a hawk and don't let it get hot if you can help it.

I didn't want to post, but I read about this happening a few times on this forum, then it happened to me and this has never happened before, certainly months after an oil change. Just some background. I am retired, I drive the CUV around town at low speed maybe 3-5 miles a day. I don't Idle the car other than the 1 minute warmup form a cold start. Last weekend was a bit different. I was meeting some old High School friends at a car show in Manchester which is about 30 miles from me with about 22 of those driven on a high speed highway. So I attended that show went home an then Sunday met some other friends at a car show in Atkinson, which is about 10 miles from my house.
Well, heading home I decided to stop for gas at my favourite station an IRVING in Plaistow. I had noticed a tiny bit of what seemed like timing chain racket starting the car at home. it wasn't terrible, but this engine has been silent. I popped the hood to check the oil, which i usually do at home about every 2 weeks or so as this thing hasn't burned any oil. Wow it was HOT under there. It was a warm day but nothing crazy - just high 70's low 80's. I could barely touch the hood prop rod. I had only driven the car for 4 miles after a 'cold' start leaving the show. Then I pull the dipstick. NOTHING on there! So I wipe reinsert and finish pumping gas and clean the back window with the filling station squeegee. I pull the dipstick again, and there is just a bit of oil - maybe an 1/8" - on the bottom of the stick well below the fill dot. SO I wipe an reinsert again - same reading. I head home, I don't have "my oil" with me. The top off stuff is at home.
I get home the engine is killer hot under there. Duh, I didnt look at the temp gauge, but I bet it was in the middle. Coolant level was at Max Hot, I decide to let the car sit for a few hours.
Later in the day, I pull the dipstick and I get the same reading below the bottom fill dot (hole, actually). Now this engine has never been flaky. it usually reads a 1/6" below the FULL HOT dot. Always when check Cold. Engine is still very hot. can't even lay your hand on the plastic engine cover. cover. Coolant level is good. So I grab the jug that I used to do the last oil change (Valvoline Advanced 0W20) and add a quart.
Drive around the block and park it. Next day check the oil level and it is good. Car runs reasonably quiet, but I am very hard of hearing with no hearing above 6KHZ. Like an AM Radio. it is running a bit sluggish, but I should mention a couple weeks earlier I got some bad gasoline. About 5 gallons. I know because the car ran bad right after the fillup and bad all of the following week. The I put 3 gallons of Mobil premium in, then the Irving.
So, where did the oil go? This is a D.I. high compression engine - basically the Ford 2 liter ecoboost without the ecoboost or fancy steel reinforced ringland turbo pistons and HD rods, I have a guess but I would appreciate any of your guesses. I think its been 4 months since the last oil change and about only 1900 miles of mainly "old grandma" style driving. Thanks guys and gals (if there are any on here!)
- Ken
Wow, that's crazy. What is the total capacity? Must be small for 1qt to make it run that hot. Definitely a bonus to the 5.7L capacity of my 4.8 V8 in my truck. A qt wouldn't make much of a difference.
I agree with the below, that you probably had fuel dilution that burned off with the longer trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back