I guess that'll teach me! Old oil from the dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And that's the oil that every BWM dealer uses. The only other oil they carry is Castrol TWS 10w-60, but that's for the M engines.

I'm guessing they might also have some LL-04 oil on hand for their diesel engines. But strangely, there is no mention of any LL-04 oils on the current BMW approved oil list in the US. Why is that?

ULSD allows LL04 for diesels. Emissions targets and inconsistent levels of sulphur in US gas along with ethanol require LL01 for the intended factory OCI.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe

This is the bottle since the forum loves oil bottle and jug pics!

So is LL-01 actually mentioned anywhere on this bottle?

It would be redundant no?

not anywhere on it.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
As an old oilfield pro, it is a well know fact that oil does not like sunlight*. Any good oil will avoid it. As yours was bottled at 22:39, it is some of the best LL-01 oil you can get for your BMW.

*We were always working at night...

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

It would be redundant no?

Why would it be redundant?

And that's the oil that every BWM dealer uses. The only other oil they carry is Castrol TWS 10w-60, but that's for the M engines.

I'm guessing they might also have some LL-04 oil on hand for their diesel engines. But strangely, there is no mention of any LL-04 oils on the current BMW approved oil list in the US. Why is that?

ULSD allows LL04 for diesels. Emissions targets and inconsistent levels of sulphur in US gas along with ethanol require LL01 for the intended factory OCI.

OK, but my question was about BMW diesel engines specifically. Does BMW USA suggest to run LL-01 oils in BMW diesel engines in the US and that's why there is no mention of LL-04 on the approved BWM oil list? And if so, is BMW not concerned about DPF life?

OK, but my question was about BMW diesel engines specifically. Does BMW USA suggest to run LL-01 oils in BMW diesel engines in the US and that's why there is no mention of LL-04 on the approved BWM oil list? And if so, is BMW not concerned about DPF life?

The list specifically mentions gasoline powered only. Seems diesel was left off. What a half @ss job. BMWNA specs LL04 for US Diesels. The dealerships sell bottles of Castrol Edge OE 5w30 with the expected Euro C3 OEM certs (229.51/LL04/505.01).

Last edited:
Seems diesel was left off. What a half @ss job.

Yeah, no kidding. The TSB clearly outlines it, but they didn't bother to mention one word of it on BMWNA website...

SLX_OE_5w30.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back