I found a great price for an oil change

If you have a vehicle that doesn't require synthetic and all you need is an oil change, you can't really beat Walmarts "pit stop". $19.95 for Quaker state oil and a frame filter, can't even buy the stuff to do it yourself for that price.

I do all my own vehicle work but sometimes still go there for an oil change, $20 and I don't have to deal with disposing of the waste

I thought Berkeley indies were high: $170.00 and $200.00 ... of course, I'd expect the dealerships to be higher.

Even here on the outskirts of Birmingham, AL, in what is generally regarded as a rougher part of the metro area, our labor rate is $140.

When I worked at a Jiffy Lube in an affluent part of Chapel Hill, NC almost 20 years ago, $20 was our bring your own oil and filter price, and that was a pit oil change, we didn't have a real rack.

None of those people at the shop I went to, just the owner and his assistant. Also, he has no waiting room, coffee service, TV to watch, and so on. And, unlike the Berkeley shops, I can hang around and watch him work should I choose to do so. As noted elsewhere, when he wanted to explain what he found that needed attention, he put the car on the lift, we both got underneath, and he pointed out what he had discovered.

It's refreshing to have such a direct connection with the guy who's doing the wrench work. However, I wouldn't mind a nice waiting room.

Well it sounds like you've found an extraordinary resource. I would suggest you pay him a little bit more than you did. Otherwise, he won't be around much longer, trust me. The rates he's charging you won't let him eat at the homeless shelter on Thanksgiving afternoon.

Back