I found a great price for an oil change

Most indy shops have a $100-$120 per hour labor rate. It only takes them 5-6 minutes to do the job?
It takes more like half an hour - write up the ticket. Talk with customer. Move the car. Position the lift. Raise the car. Do the change. Lower the car. Reposition the lift. Move the car. Talk with the customer.

Even at my best, working with a lift at the hobby shop, it was over half an hour. Check in. Move car, drive on lift. Raise car. Change oil. Drive car off. check out.

It only takes them 5-6 minutes to do the job?
That's just laughable. Set up a video camera the next time you do an oil change starting from when you drive the car into your workspace until you drive it out. It will be 20+ minutes easily.

My indie shop rate is $55/hr. Don’t assume everywhere in the country has lost their minds.
The one I use was $60 but raised theirs to $80 in the past 1-2 years. Outside of big cities, I suspect most non-specialty indy shops are under $100/hour.

That's just laughable. Set up a video camera the next time you do an oil change starting from when you drive the car into your workspace until you drive it out. It will be 20+ minutes easily.
Exactly. Maybe you missed my point. Which was to say no shop is doing cheap oil changes to make money. They do it to bring in more service from the issues they can find.

The one I use was $60 but raised theirs to $80 in the past 1-2 years. Outside of big cities, I suspect most non-specialty indy shops are under $100/hour.
You must live in a small town. Haven't seen under $100/hour labor rates around here for years.

I charge $30 plus tax if you supply oil and filter.
Many bring a "thicker" oil than spec'd.
There is time and liability to consider.
In my world being the last one to touch it means an extended warranty on any future issues
the owner might encounter.
It's like bringing your own hamburger to McDonalds.

Are you sure they didn't just give you a cheap rate since it was up on the lift? Could be more money next time if you strictly bring it in for an oil change.

You must live in a small town. Haven't seen under $100/hour labor rates around here for years.
There's a substantial difference between most of the country and the metro DC area (and other large cities or metro areas). Metro DC has 6 million plus people while the metro area I live in has close to a million (and in the future, it's expected to be combined with a metro area with 2.5 million people). I do live in a small suburb "town" so it may influence the labor rate a little bit.

Last edited:
There's a substantial difference between most of the country and the metro DC area. Metro DC has 6 million plus people while the metro area I live in has close to a million (and in the future, it's expected to be combined with a metro area with 2.5 million people). I do live in a small suburb "town" so it may influence the labor rate a little bit.
I live out in the country, away from big cities, on purpose. I know most people in my town, especially the ones I spend money with. I’m on a first-name basis with my mechanic, my doc, and the cute lady that works at NAPA. Around here, it’s about treating people right and being honest; they know with a local economy you can’t lie and cheat people… for long. Even the Ford dealer in town is reasonably priced even though I only use them for warranty/recall work.

The point being: globalization & the dehumanization of the supply chains for things we use on a regular basis may be convenient, but it destroys the local “community” spirit with nameless people who work or live away from your town. Personally, I like living where you can trust your neighbor & leave your doors unlocked without fear. And I’ll defend this way of life as long as physically possible!

Prices will be subjective to labor rates per hour. The book gives .3 for an oil change. So if a shop is $100/hr, it should be $30.

OR they can just call out a random price they want.

I also have an indy in the suburbs that does it for $20 when you bring the oil and filter. Rotates the tires too, used to fill up the windshield washer fluid too, but he didn't do that the last time I was there. His regular rate is 85/hour.

$225/hr at the last two dealerships I recently dealt with.
Since my guy is reasonable and they always do stellar work, I always “tip” on the labor. For example, he did both front CV axles on my ‘06 Odyssey for $120, I gave them $140 because I felt that was still worth more than my time & effort. Valve cover gaskets & spark plug seals on the Subie was $170, I gave them $200. I take care of the people who take care of me!

You don't suppose the mech gave him a good deal to get him to come back for his next repair/oil change?

Sounds like it worked to me.
Yeah, he reeled me in and landed me like a big, flopping Marlin. :)

Actually, I've used the shop before for some much more expensive work. On the next OC, he'll replace the PCV valve.

$225/hr at the last two dealerships I recently dealt with.
I thought Berkeley indies were high: $170.00 and $200.00 ... of course, I'd expect the dealerships to be higher.

Ya, my car wash has a sideways repair shop for brakes, oil changes, rotations, light stuff. They’ve kept my Versa on the road for 12 years. Reasonable prices, 5k intervals for conventional Valvoline and dependable Mighty filters. Not bad.

Attachments

• 6DA421EC-EB0F-41F5-95B1-782265B51AC6.jpeg
    6DA421EC-EB0F-41F5-95B1-782265B51AC6.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 30
I try explaining that to service advisors when they act like we shouldn’t be charging to look at a car. It’s like I bet it’s a minimum of a half hour charge to pay everyone’s wage that touches that vehicle in some shape or form

You have service writer, porter, manager, asst manager or foreman in some shops, cashier, appointment scheduler, booker of the ticket, technician, parts guy if any parts are involved. Plus all the building costs of business operation. It adds up to quite a bit.
None of those people at the shop I went to, just the owner and his assistant. Also, he has no waiting room, coffee service, TV to watch, and so on. And, unlike the Berkeley shops, I can hang around and watch him work should I choose to do so. As noted elsewhere, when he wanted to explain what he found that needed attention, he put the car on the lift, we both got underneath, and he pointed out what he had discovered.

It's refreshing to have such a direct connection with the guy who's doing the wrench work. However, I wouldn't mind a nice waiting room.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlk
Ya, my car wash has a sideways repair shop for brakes, oil changes, rotations, light stuff. They’ve kept my Versa on the road for 12 years. Reasonable prices, 5k intervals for conventional Valvoline and dependable Mighty filters. Not bad.
So $20 to rotate the tires? Better to get tires at places that do free tire rotations as part of the tire services. Or get your own impact gun, very cheap these days, in the $100-$200 range.

Back