I did it! Put Straight HD30 in the PSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A studded, deleted and custom tuned 6.0 is a fun, reliable truck to drive. Mine has been this way for 5 years.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
I have a 02 and an 06 and I am starting of thinking of using a straight wt 40 in the summer time here in Iowa. Mine both live on horse trailers. I have always run a HDEO 15w-40 even thru the winter up here. I have never had trouble with mine and I thiink that most of the guys that have problems with the 6.0 is because of running thin syn oils in them. Oils with high amounts of VM's is what causes the problems.

LOL, what is thin?

If you are talking 5W40 as thin (and so many do) ...............a 5W40 is a 40 wt.
Maybe you are saying that thin is a 30 weight ............. ??

215k miles on mine (13 years) - NO ISSUES. Studded w/ 120k miles on a pretty strong tune. 5W40 synthetic. Like so many others.

Navistar (International) and Ford understand the issues w/ the 6.0L - including the injectors. They gave specific recommendations on the oil viscosity as it relates to ambient temperature. Have for years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I bet SAE 30 have a wider VI and a better group class than they did a couple decade ago

Yes I agree.
A modern Group II SAE 30 would probably test out to something like a 15W-30 at a guess and completely shear stable.

Yes...And you will be perfectly safe down to about 10F.

There is always Delo and T1 if you don't like Mobil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by beanoil
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by beanoil
The Delvac has nearly identical specs to Delo SD, a 15w30.
OP, you just did your 6.0h no a favor, IMO, and in 5k you may even want to do it again.

Lets hope so! lol I love the truck but when the wife and kids take it on long trips like this hauling a lot of weight I still get nervous! She's been good to me and never a let down with 135k on it. But you know the reputation
wink.gif

I know it well.
Mine had studs, FelPro MLS gaskets, a reman FICM with the Atlas flash, BulletProof Diesel water pump, ELC coolant, and DIY bypass filter. I ran a lot of Valvoline 10w30, and a couple fills of the Delo 15w30. I found LubeGard BioTech better than the popular Rev-X and Archoil, and either of those was better than HotShots for stiction and injector care.
If you leave them stock, and take care of them they can last. Problem is the lack of head bolts around each cylinder, and most tuners increase cylinder pressure over what the TTY head bolts can handle. If you took yours to Ford for updated flashes over it's life, they began to suck power back out with later flashes to try and save the beast. The Atlas flash puts all the good Mojo back in, and really makes the truck fun to drive without hosing reliability.

Yes, I love the Atlas 40 FICM tune, really woke the truck up. Combined with the 4" straight exhaust, its a great running truck. Just a quick update, they made it first to Savannah GA to the Mother-in-laws which was a 4.5 hour trip fully loaded and then they drove another 3 hours the following day to Perry GA to the Horse show. All without a single hiccup and averaged 13mpg loaded!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back