Custom Blend OCI for my 05 PSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, I'm coming up on time to change the oil in my 05 F350 with the hated 6.0h... I've recently had good luck up north with 10W30, the truck just seemed to run and start better, faster with it.

Since moving to central Florida, I've put 15W40 in it because (its cheap) we tow heavy often and as you all know, its HOT. (3/4 horse trailers and hay etc) but a few months back I scored 2 gallons of CJ-4 Delo 10W30 on clearance for $10, now of course I can't find anymore....

I've researched a ton on these motors and the oil shearing due to the HEUI system etc. and how well straight 30WT performs in them. I was thinking of getting 2 gallons of HDEO 30WT and mixing with my 2 gallons of 10W30 to make a custom "less shear prone" blend for my summer hauling. What do you experts think?

Wouldn't this make a "heavy" 10W30 that should be ideal for a diesel that doesn't have to ever really start in the cold?

Originally Posted by Donald
Given the cost of a 6.0 engine, especially if you have bullet-proofed it, I would not use oil cause I got it cheap.

I would use 15W40.

The cheap part doesn't worry me, its not "cheap" oil it is Delo which is very good oil It was just on clearance because it was the old formula CJ-4. Which is good for the Fords.

I would encourage you to consider the 10w-30 even in FL. If you've been having good luck with it, why not try it down there first, before deciding (arbitrarily) that there's something wrong? Do not discount the wear protection of the thinner grade just based on suspicion alone; they are very capable fluids. There are UOA examples showing excellent results from 10w-30 in the 6.0PSD, even pulling heavy loads in hot temps.

If your PSD has been updated with the cooler upgrades and not suffered any ill effects such as overheating of the EGR or stretched head bolts, then you're good to go with any decent lube you choose.

- first, continue to use the 10w-30; run come UOAs and see how things are going. Since you've had good luck, that's the place to start
- then consider doing your little experiment with the mix of multi-grade and mono-grade. Honestly I don't know what you're thinking is going to happen, but go for it if you want to
- then perhaps try the 15w-40 choices
My point is that to know what's doing well, you have to not only test where you're going, but where you're starting out at.

DO NOT FORGET that there is normal variation in any process. If UOAs show a slight uptick or drop in Fe or Al or such, that does NOT mean one or two tests is accurate for a conclusion. There is a lot of variation in normal use in terms of wear metals. You need to understand this to be able to make good decisions. Honestly, there's likely to be far more overlap of stdev than you'll ever discover trying your little oil experiment, but I encourage you to do so, if for no other reason than to convince yourself of this fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
I would encourage you to consider the 10w-30 even in FL. If you've been having good luck with it, why not try it down there first, before deciding (arbitrarily) that there's something wrong? Do not discount the wear protection of the thinner grade just based on suspicion alone; they are very capable fluids. There are UOA examples showing excellent results from 10w-30 in the 6.0PSD, even pulling heavy loads in hot temps.

If your PSD has been updated with the cooler upgrades and not suffered any ill effects such as overheating of the EGR or stretched head bolts, then you're good to go with any decent lube you choose.

- first, continue to use the 10w-30; run come UOAs and see how things are going. Since you've had good luck, that's the place to start
- then consider doing your little experiment with the mix of multi-grade and mono-grade. Honestly I don't know what you're thinking is going to happen, but go for it if you want to
- then perhaps try the 15w-40 choices
My point is that to know what's doing well, you have to not only test where you're going, but where you're starting out at.

DO NOT FORGET that there is normal variation in any process. If UOAs show a slight uptick or drop in Fe or Al or such, that does NOT mean one or two tests is accurate for a conclusion. There is a lot of variation in normal use in terms of wear metals. You need to understand this to be able to make good decisions. Honestly, there's likely to be far more overlap of stdev than you'll ever discover trying your little oil experiment, but I encourage you to do so, if for no other reason than to convince yourself of this fact.

Thanks Dnewton3- as always your opinion is very appreciated. I do plan to try the thinner 10W30 in the truck, I've read all over the place and see many UOA's proving it works in these engines and works very well. I absolutely loved how the truck ran on it when I lived up north. I'm just now at 130,000 miles on this truck and plan to keep it a very long time. I want to make sure I do what is right for it. Its been a great truck and hasn't plagued me with any of the issues so many speak of but its always in the back of my mind... Next month my wife and daughter and hauling over 4 hours up into Georgia for World finals and I want to make sure it is in tip top shape to make the haul.

I may just go out and find another 2 gallons of Delo 10W30 and go with that for a full OCI. Just seems hard to find around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back