I Can Feel an OCI Coming On

My friends and family have cars. They don't do oil services. Nuff said.
Story of my life right there. My car gets an oil change when I have time, but with the cars in my signature (plus 4-5 not in the signature) it seems like I'm doing an oil change weekly. I try to stagger the oil changes, but all drivers drive differently, so with my luck they usually all start calling about being due for an oil change on the same week. But hey - at least they remember to call and don't neglect their vehicles! Often during oil changes I find other stuff that needs fixing too... Always got something to do, like a second job, except it doesn't pay... "Friends & Family", yunno?... But as long as I enjoy doing it - I'll keep planting good karma in my future. Maybe one day someone will give me free services when I'm in need.

Do you think ST can last a full year as much as the NAPA made by Valvoline?
For some reason I'm feeling like the NAPA FS oil will be better than the ST, but I'm probably cutting hairs again.
Are you kidding? Yes, splitting hairs. The 4Runner gets yearly oil changes and that is between 5 and 6k miles.

I may do that.
Do you think ST can last a full year as much as the NAPA made by Valvoline?
For some reason I'm feeling like the NAPA FS oil will be better than the ST, but I'm probably cutting hairs again.
Any modern full synthetic oil that is rated Dex1-Gen2 / SP / GF-6 can do the distance on an oil life monitor (OLM) in a GM car, and most other non-Euro cars. This usually translates to something like 6k to 10k miles, or 1 year.

If you are doing 4K miles per year, I see no problem, as it’s the fuel burnt and miles traveled that age the oil, it’s already been in the ground a million years just waiting for you.

If you are looking for something to do, you could always spend a few hours detailing the car. Just sayin...
The car stays detailed pretty much all the time. I wax her about 12x a year, using Meguiar's Carnauba and Turtle Wax Wash and Shine spray or TW Ice.
I got some tire black spray which keeps the rubber looking good.
I keep the glass very clean.

I wasn't going to change it at 4 months, I was going to run it 6 months, maybe up to 8-9 months, then change it this Fall with my last ST, then change it again in the Spring with NAPA, and then try running it 1 year. But actually I could do 1 year with the ST and be in good shape. It would take more than 12 month OCIs with the correct viscosity oil to hurt that 1.5L Prius / Yaris / Echo engine.

i was flossing when i wrote it.
I have a TV collecting dust for about two years. Seriously. Just no use for it.

I also have a collection of various automotive lubricants.. everything but motor oil. They sit in their boxes and every now and then I think of changing them into cars just because however.. the old fluid would make a mess. Perhaps this is a show for TV..

I have a TV collecting dust for about two years. Seriously. Just no use for it.

I also have a collection of various automotive lubricants.. everything but motor oil. They sit in their boxes and every now and then I think of changing them into cars just because however.. the old fluid would make a mess. Perhaps this is a show for TV..
i don't watch tv either. however, i would watch a show about people seriously considering changing the lubricants in their car and then deciding not to, and then flossing their teeth instead. because that show would be all about my life.

i don't watch tv either. however, i would watch a show about people seriously considering changing the lubricants in their car and then deciding not to, and then flossing their teeth instead. because that show would be all about my life.
Show would be a combination of Intervention and Hoarders.

I'm in...

On this episode: Meet Mary. She thought she could go more than 50000 miles without ever changing her oil. She got hooked on the idea that her car was so good it never needed to be serviced so she drove it every day until, one day, she had to face reality.

Oh I'm in.

On this episode: Meet Mary. She thought she could go more than 50000 miles without ever changing her oil. She got hooked on the idea that her car was so good it never needed to be serviced so she drove it every day until, one day, she had to face reality.

Oh I'm in.
Better than 99% of the TV shows that are on TV

No harm in it OP, grab a couple cold ones and make a evening out of it. Have a good look around while your at it.

Maybe if I ran Pennzoil Platinum with a Fram PH4967, I would no longer feel like doing an OCI every 6 months, but if I didn't, then it would cost me more than the ST or NAPA. Maybe I'll just go bananas and run PP and still do 6 month OCIs. Gotta preserve the engine for that person who buys it from me in 2030. Or maybe a voice will tell me "relax, Joe, your engine is being lubed very well with the ST oil."

Back