6 Months Since Last OCI

Mr Luke
I offer you a suggestion
(With all due respect)
Since you seem to have no problem wasting time and resources, how about doing a uoa every time you get the urge to change your oil.
Then kindly post your results!

It's not a waste of time. I don't really have anything else to do.
Not really a waste of money because I DIY and I recycle the oil.
Now if I was taking my car to an oil change shop and paying $120 for an OCI, that would be much more expensive.

Actually I'd rather do an OCI than waste money on a UOA.
The UOA is the waste of money, IMHO, not the 20 minutes or the $15-$20 for oil and filter.
I've done UOAs before but not for several years.
I really don't know if I can stand running my oil for more than 6 months, but either way, I don't see myself coughing up $40 for a UOA.

Reactions: wlk
I'm willing to bet that if I did a UOA at 6 months with a sample of my oil, and kept running the same oil for 6 more months and did another UOA then, that both UOAs would show that I still had plenty of life left in my oil.

What I'm saying is that I might possibly run my current fill until May 2023, and maybe do a UOA then to see how the PP held up for 12 months at about 3500-4000 miles.

I've often gone 2 years between changes, and on run of the mill Dino, one of my cars barely gets 2000-3000 miles a year on it, i sometimes get ants in my pants too but more often than not i go 18 months / 4500 miles.

I'm willing to bet that if I did a UOA at 6 months with a sample of my oil, and kept running the same oil for 6 more months and did another UOA then, that both UOAs would show that I still had plenty of life left in my oil.

What I'm saying is that I might possibly run my current fill until May 2023, and maybe do a UOA then to see how the PP held up for 12 months at about 3500-4000 miles.
For the cost of the UOAs may as well change it. 4K/year is a 1/year OCI to me. Any modern oil can do this without question.

Seriously, my oil has only been dark enough to see on the dipstick for 1-2 months.
It's been 6 months since I changed my oil and I think I have something like 1,900 miles on my current fill.
And I hate it when I do an OCI and then can't hardly see the oil line on the dipstick for several months.
So, I think for the first time with FS oils I'm going to run it for 12 months, and then do a UOA in the spring just to prove to me that my oil was still good when I changed it at 12 months and roughly 3,800 miles.

Why waste oil? I've got enough PP and Fram PH4967 filters for 4 more OCIs.
I believe that would take me up to the Spring of 2027 before I'd have to buy new oil and filters.
I say let's do it. Let's run this oil for 12 months.
I'll share the UOA here in the spring.

Back