I Believe The Hype!: Mobil 1 HM Cleaning Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took over my dad's 99' Mercury Sable after they bought a new Mercury Hybrid. The car runs like a top and is under the mileage average for its age (103,6XX). I decided to buy it since it rides great, is well equipped, and was one of my mother's favorite cars of all time, and it's not much fun to drive an F350 everywhere.
grin.gif
I've been doing the oil changes on the car since they bought it used ten years ago or so. My mother used the car as a daily driver for a while until they purchased a newer 06' Taurus. I recall the oil initially being very black and it looked like the previous owner, an older woman IIRC, didn't keep up on the oil changes. I think I used a mix of lubricants in the car from Motorcraft syn blend to MaxLife, to all the SOPUS offerings including Shell 5W-30, the final change a before I bought it and installed Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage (the older formula from about 2009 or early 2010 featuring ca rather than mg, I think). I changed the oil over the past ten years never letting the car go over 5K OCI's. My father doesn't drive much anymore so he only put on 3K a year, so often it was probably done at 3-4K.

After 4,800 miles or so, the Mobil 1 HM was blackened and spent and had sort of a strange texture I've never seen before. When I did a blotter test by touching the oil stick on paper towels, I noticed the oil corona was still a dark amber, but there were black blotches in the center of what I took to be bits of sludge or other deposits. I was shocked when pulling off the old filter as to how heavy it was, even after piercing the Motorcraft oil filter and draining out all the oil - it was still unusually heavy. Unfortunately I don't have a Dremel and didn't feel like hack-sawing it open. I guess the point is that I firmly believe Mobil 1's claims for it's High Mileage oil's ability to clean. My post here is obviously anecdotal and empirical I don't have any evidence, but there is no questions that the M1 HM removed substantial deposits from my engine and think it's a great oil for a used car with a history one is unsure of.

Next up is three-and-a-half year old Pennzoil ultra 5W-30 SM I installed yesterday, and the car "feels" peppier, but I hate saying things like that since I'm skeptical of others making similar statements regarding noise levels or engine efficiency...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Next up is three-and-a-half year old Pennzoil ultra 5W-30 SM I installed yesterday, and the car "feels" peppier, but I hate saying things like that since I'm skeptical of others making similar statements regarding noise levels or engine efficiency...

We're all skeptics to varying degrees. However a real car enthusiast knows when their vehicle is running well, when there is an improvement, and when something is wrong, many times by sound and feel. Now convincing others can be difficult with certain individuals.

I took over my dad's 99' Mercury Sable after they bought a new Mercury Hybrid. The car runs like a top and is under the mileage average for its age (103,6XX). I decided to buy it since it rides great, is well equipped, and was one of my mother's favorite cars of all time, and it's not much fun to drive an F350 everywhere.
grin.gif
I've been doing the oil changes on the car since they bought it used ten years ago or so. My mother used the car as a daily driver for a while until they purchased a newer 06' Taurus. I recall the oil initially being very black and it looked like the previous owner, an older woman IIRC, didn't keep up on the oil changes. I think I used a mix of lubricants in the car from Motorcraft syn blend to MaxLife, to all the SOPUS offerings including Shell 5W-30, the final change a before I bought it and installed Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage (the older formula from about 2009 or early 2010 featuring ca rather than mg, I think). I changed the oil over the past ten years never letting the car go over 5K OCI's. My father doesn't drive much anymore so he only put on 3K a year, so often it was probably done at 3-4K.

After 4,800 miles or so, the Mobil 1 HM was blackened and spent and had sort of a strange texture I've never seen before. When I did a blotter test by touching the oil stick on paper towels, I noticed the oil corona was still a dark amber, but there were black blotches in the center of what I took to be bits of sludge or other deposits. I was shocked when pulling off the old filter as to how heavy it was, even after piercing the Motorcraft oil filter and draining out all the oil - it was still unusually heavy. Unfortunately I don't have a Dremel and didn't feel like hack-sawing it open. I guess the point is that I firmly believe Mobil 1's claims for it's High Mileage oil's ability to clean. My post here is obviously anecdotal and empirical I don't have any evidence, but there is no questions that the M1 HM removed substantial deposits from my engine and think it's a great oil for a used car with a history one is unsure of.

Without pulling a valve cover to take before and after images, its hard to say. But any quality synthetic oil should do a good job at cleaning.

Its possible the prior oil was sub par at cleaning and it was easy for your new oil to clean things.

I am glad you feel the engine is being cleaned.

I agree on this statement but you quickly arrive at a point where the effort is not worth your time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

We're all skeptics to varying degrees. However a real car enthusiast knows when their vehicle is running well, when there is an improvement, and when something is wrong, many times by sound and feel. Now convincing others can be difficult with certain individuals.

Now convincing others can be difficult with certain individuals.

Especially those who want third party verification. Or who have ever shifting standards.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Well, maybe it cleaned real well, but maybe there was a lot to be cleaned, too. Or both.

There shouldn't have been a lot, the conventional/syn-blend oils used turned a normal looking dark amber at 4000-5000 miles. I think there may have been some sludge left from the previous owner to my parents, and my father's infrequent driving and mostly short trips probably took a toll...

The HM Mobil 1 products always seem to have a very rich additive pack. In a way, they seem more like an EP product than EP.

It's a nice line of oil!! I'm not surprised to hear your results. Sounds like you have taken excellent car of the car too! Enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Especially those who want third party verification. Or who have ever shifting standards.

Hehehe. Trajan. You need a hobby. I suggest playing in traffic or high wire walking

Or have an agenda, or get paid for their testimony, or are given free product, or never tried a product yet think they know all about it. Then there are people coaxed into responding for or against certain products. Which brings me back to square one: sort the B_S from reality, and do you trust the person making the statement if scientific proof is not available, and all you have is testimonies? Funny thing is when several people with no agenda have similar claims it gets you thinking, maybe there is something positive with the product. OTOH when several people claim a product sucked, did nothing, or they got hosed buying it, it gets you thinking.

We've had this discussion several times before, it gets old doesn't it?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Is the add pack any better?

The newest VOA of M1 HM shows it to be watered down. Like another poster said,looks to be the same as the generic plain M1 now. My UOA awhile back showed it to be watered down as well,no where near the numbers claimed by Mobil. Zddp level was as low as the newest starburst SN dino oils.

What advantage is a HM synthetic oil over a HM dino? I can only think of a few things;
Higher priced, longer OCIs, cleans better.

I dunno, but I can't think of a major high mileage oil that isn't at least part synthetic. Maybe Pennzoil?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

The newest VOA of M1 HM shows it to be watered down. Like another poster said,looks to be the same as the generic plain M1 now. My UOA awhile back showed it to be watered down as well,no where near the numbers claimed by Mobil. Zddp level was as low as the newest starburst SN dino oils.

Um, what? It has over 1000 ppm of zinc: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3125454#Post3125454

Um, what? It has over 1000 ppm of zinc: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3125454#Post3125454

And why is that relevant. Its the phos that matters

Originally Posted By: Clevy

And why is that relevant. Its the phos that matters

Because the Zinc is just as important as the phos.

Take a another look. Newest M1HM VOA and my UOA. Whimpy add pack:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330997&page=1

24mweo9.jpg

Or have an agenda, or get paid for their testimony, or are given free product, or never tried a product yet think they know all about it. Then there are people coaxed into responding for or against certain products.

Yeah. Unfortunately, only one person has ever claimed that. And given his history, one must call into question that person's motives. Especially as no proof was ever provided that anyone has ever, or currently does.

Then we have those who spoke out against all additives in the past, and now praise one constantly. Suspicious

Or the ones who demand a higher level of proof for one product, yet not for any other.

Can't really have shifting standards. If one accepts unverified observations for A, then they can't discount the same for B.

They also can't make claims that users of B never provide the proof they want. All the while rejecting the proof that it does work.

They also can't reject "personal testimony" from users of B, while accepting the same of A/C/D etc. And certainly not when their own "personal testimony" says that B works.

Does it get tiring? Sometimes. But as long as one says that observations are good enough for A, but not B, it isn't going to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back