I Am Tired of Hearing About the 3k Mile Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tired of hearing about the 3,000 mile oil change as being unnecessary and wasteful.

There are numerous people saying that 3,000 mile oil changes are not needed as oil lasts 5,000 to 20,000 miles depending on the oil used. While this may be true from an additive and shear stability viewpoint it is not the only matter. Some cars are not driven 3,000 miles in 10 years.

TIME is an independent variable. MOST manufacturers state the oils must be changed at least yearly OR within some mileage criteria. Again, the “OR YEARLY” part is equally important.

I refer to the diurnal heating and cooling cycle that introduces moisture into your engine. This results in corrosion as the water builds up. In arid climates it is less of a problem but in sunny Florida where moisture abounds it is a severe problem, especially for sports cars that sit around with a lack of use. Also, the northern cold winter cycle is particularly hard on mineral based oils that may form gels. This is why I advocate changing oils in the spring of every year for those cars that do not meet the mileage requirement.

aehaas

PS We have completed the Ferrari at St. Armands event in Sarasota, Florida:

Here are some pictures from Ferrari at St. Armands:

http://www.anamera.com/en/editorial/arti...Hash=171a18f478

Go ahead and sign in to see the pictures on the page:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138577

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138580

AEHaas, with all respect. Most people who use their cars daily, or almost daily, will see that the 3000mile OCI is unnecessary and wasteful. When using ordinary dino, most people can easily go 6-8000 miles. Of course, if you race the car, letting it sit longer periods of time and/or is driving only 1000 miles a year, you must change the oil more often. There is no argue about that, but most people drive a lot more than 3000 miles a year, and for these people, 3000 mile OCI is a waste.

I'm in agreement with you AEHaas. I have a handful of vehicles around. I'm going to be changing the oil in one within the next couple weeks with only 2400 miles since the last OCI. The reason is.... end of the month it will have been in one year.

The percent of people that drive their cars less than 5k miles per year is minute. Those that do would be extremely anal about their cars and change oil accordingly. The 3k oc should be beaten into oblivion.
crushedcar.gif

I could not agree more.
thumbsup.gif

My car gets driven 1 mile to work and back during the week and then on the weekends it gets driven 200-300 miles on the hwy. I put about 1200 miles a month on my car. For me 3000 miles makes sense, and i feel is justified due to multiple short-trips and my desire to keep it for a long time after the payments are done.
smile.gif

Quote:

I refer to the diurnal heating and cooling cycle that introduces moisture into your engine. This results in corrosion as the water builds up.

All the more so if a vehicle sits outside and subjected a greater range of temperature and humidity.

Quote:

I am tired of hearing about the 3,000 mile oil change as being unnecessary and wasteful.

I'm not. Because in most cases it is true.

However - I do agree time is very important factor. Take my Volvo for example. It's my commuter car. I'll be hard pressed to get 8K a year on the thing now. So I'll change my oil at 8K or so when my year is up. Time is important, 3k is silly.

AEHaas, I agree. I'd like to add one more factor: personal choice. If I want to change my oil at 2500 miles, that's MY choice. If I want to change it at 8000 miles, that's my choice. Yeah, it might be a waste to change that oil at 2500 miles, but being the most efficient human isn't my goal.

Too bad you have to sign up/in to see the photos.
frown.gif

It would be the only reason for me to see the board.
dunno.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

I think all motor oil companies put time limits on, whether it is 3,000 mile/3 month, 4,000 miles/4 months, 7500 miles/6 months and even 35,000 mile/12 months companies. Not sure if I've heard any past 12 months, so that could be a new niche market if anyone wants to pursue it. 1,000 miles or 10 years, whichever is first for garage and trailer queens!

Well, I have used Amsoil oil which is supposed to last 25,000 or even 35,000 miles with one oil change and if I remember correctly on the bottles it said that the oil should be changed once a year even if the mileage had not been reached. So time certainly is a factor in changing oil. Amsoil seems to agree that time is a factor.

And some people act like they are in a competition to see who can go the greatest distance on one oil change before the oil becomes too comtaminated and worn out. If an engine had any ability to be aware of such things I don't know if the engine would appreciate somebody going as far as possible on one oil change. That would be like encouraging a person to run as far as they possibly could before taking a drink of water.

I can see somebody trying to go as far as possible with an expensive oil like Amsoil but if somebody is using, say, Valvoline, available for 10 bucks or less in any Wal-Mart in a 5 qt. container, I just can't see somebody trying to go 10,000 miles on such an oil. Four oil changes using Valvoline a year in a car or truck driven 12,000 miles a year would be a cost of 40 dollars for the oil. This oil cost is going to break the bank? I think somebody would be more likely to break the bank trying to go 10,000 miles using conventional motor oil and then paying for engine damage. I personally am not going to drive my car 10,000 miles on one conventional motor oil change no matter what anybody at this web site says.

And like ToyotaNSaturn says it is a matter of personal choice. If I choose to change the oil in my car every 3000 miles/3 months that is my choice. I am paying for the oil. I am doing the work changing the oil. Somebody at this web site can say I am wasting the Earth's resources or whatever but I recycle the used oil by returning it to the store where I dump the used oil in a container so that it can be recycled.

Some silly competition where I can say I went 35,000 miles on one oil change of Amsoil and the next guy went only 29,000 miles is not worth my attention. Now if somebody does want to drive their own car or truck 100,000 miles with one oil chnage I say go ahead-be sure to do a UOA so we can see what happens in an engine when somebody drives so far on one oil change. Personally myself I would not try to drive my car 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 (especially the new Mobil 1) but that is my choice.

I don't think many people have ever suggested that people shouldn't change the oil if it's been in there over a year. I believe most of the discussion is focused on those driving normal distances in a year. Of course if I was in your shoes Dr. Haas, I would certainly change it within a year, regardless of how few miles it was driven.

But for the majority of folks, 3K is unnecessary. Yes, it's a choice, and you're certainly not going to hurt you car by changing it at 3K. But too many UOA's and other studies have conclusively shown that it is overkill under normal circumstances/time, even for SM/GF4 conventional oil, not to mention synthetics.

It also depends on how motor oil is used as well. Somebody who drives their car or truck just around town in short trips, especially in cold or dusty weather, needs to change oil more often then somebody driving a lot on the highway with long trips. The oil needs to be changed more often in a diesel engine in a front end loader (because of all of the dust and so forth) then in a diesel engine in a tractor trailor truck being driven almost always on the highway.

And synthetic oil can usually be used for longer distances and time limits then conventional motor oil. I have owned Saturn cars for quite a while and Saturn wanted the motor oil changed every 3000 miles because of the steel timing chain used in the Saturn SL1s and SL2s and SC1s and SC2s.

When thing I have always noticed is that a car or truck seems to run better immediately after an oil change. This may be an unscientific observation but it is my observation nonetheless.

And how about people who do not check their oil levels? They are better off having their oil changed every 3000 miles/3 months. If a car or truck does consume some oil a considerable amount of oil can be consumed in 6000 miles, regardless if conventional or synthetic oil is used.

Personally myself I do not feel comfortable going very far beyond the 3000 mile/3 month oil change. It may be old fashioned to change oil every 3000 miles/3 months but my Dad (who was a very good mechanic) and every other mechanic I have ever been around forever stressed the importance of oil changes.

When car and truck engines become some sort of electrical motor maybe we will not have to change any lubricating fluid very often (assunming there is any lubricating fluid in the engine-maybe the motor will be permanently lubed for life at the factory). But until then I will change my oil often because of the contamination of the lubricating oil by gasoline combustion byproducts and dust and metal particles getting into the oil, and water getting into the oil. I like the way the engine sounds after that fresh oil change. Every mechanic I was ever around always liked a smooth running engine.

During the Winter with my short commute of 6 miles my OLM goes off at about 4000. SO I change the oil. During the Summer where I drive 200 miles on the freeway to my cottage my OLM goes to about 6000. Very different driving styles do make a difference. When I drive to Florida or Georgia at 4000 miles my OLM is at 75%. The OLM is really a nice feature for me because it is backed by the manufacturer (GM) and I use synthetic oil so I know I have a safe margin for any error.

The problem with the 3000 mile OCI is that it threatens the livelihood of the guy selling the high end synthetic. The guy doing the 3K oil change will just buy himself some good quality dino and call it good.
grin.gif

Uh oh. . . .
hide.gif

So, why would we care what you are tired of hearing? Change your oil every three miles for all we care.

The time/miles issue is old news. Nothing new here.

Quote:

There are numerous people saying that 3,000 mile oil changes are not needed as oil lasts 5,000 to 20,000 miles depending on the oil used. While this may be true from an additive and shear stability viewpoint it is not the only matter. Some cars are not driven 3,000 miles in 10 years.

TIME is an independent variable. MOST manufacturers state the oils must be changed at least yearly OR within some mileage criteria. Again, the “OR YEARLY” part is equally important.

I refer to the diurnal heating and cooling cycle that introduces moisture into your engine. This results in corrosion as the water builds up. In arid climates it is less of a problem but in sunny Florida where moisture abounds it is a severe problem, especially for sports cars that sit around with a lack of use. Also, the northern cold winter cycle is particularly hard on mineral based oils that may form gels. This is why I advocate changing oils in the spring of every year for those cars that do not meet the mileage requirement.

aehaas

PS We have completed the Ferrari at St. Armands event in Sarasota, Florida:

Here are some pictures from Ferrari at St. Armands:

http://www.anamera.com/en/editorial/arti...Hash=171a18f478

Go ahead and sign in to see the pictures on the page:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138577

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138580

AE is correct. It is all in how you use the car. I would change the oil in my open wheel Formula car with Mobil 1 every third race. That's 500 mi.

I change my street vehicles every 5000 mi depending on the use.

If I was a sales guy racking up high miles in a slow car with a lazy automatic at highway speeds, I would change even further longer.

It is all relative.

Well, I agree Doc.Hass but add 3 months or 3,000 miles. Some people may have the "the knowledge to judge when an oil change is due and do the service checks ,most do not . More important is ,hopefully the oil change place be it a dealer, independent shop or a quicklube airs the tires checks the fluids proper trans and diff service belts etc. Doc. Haas remember if you need more miles on your fancy Italian cars ship them out to me and I'll keep them blown out for you.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back