Hyundai spin on filter cut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the OEM Hyundai spin on filter. It is very well built. The bypass pressure is 20#s. And the bypass is on the top. Can wall is .018" thick.

hyundai-oil-filter-hologrram.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter2.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.3.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.4.jpg

hyundai-logo-in-filter.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.5.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.6.jpg

hyundai-oil-filter.7.jpg

Very nice filter. IMO, there's no reason to run anything else on a H/K. I've held one in hand, and they are very robust. No startup noise and no media tears are a huge plus!

Originally Posted By: Prelude
I run this filter in a Subaru. Used them before in a Honda. Trust them 100%.

Bypass a bit high for a Honda, nice for a Subie. That said, my thoughts are bifurcated on BP pressure #'s.

What are the actual dimensions? If larger than the Subaru thimble, could be a good alternative. I'm running a 2010-2012+ Mazda RX-8 filter on my WRX next.

Here's the filter media cut in half. The Hyundai is on the right, The left filter is a Purolator L14459

oemfilter043.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Prelude
I run this filter in a Subaru. Used them before in a Honda. Trust them 100%.

Bypass a bit high for a Honda, nice for a Subie. That said, my thoughts are bifurcated on BP pressure #'s.

What are the actual dimensions? If larger than the Subaru thimble, could be a good alternative. I'm running a 2010-2012+ Mazda RX-8 filter on my WRX next.

Here are the specs.

part number 26300-35503

Gasket I.D.2.13"
Gasket O.D.2.42"
Gasket Thickness.2"
Height3.08"
O.D.3.02"
I.D.20mmx1.5mm

That filter has 7414 miles on it with Mobil 1 0w20.

Put on 11/29/2013, change out 04/21/2014

In the UK OE Hyundai/Kia filters are twice the price of OE Subaru filters.

I assume this is different in the US if the poster above has used Hyundai/Kia filters on a Scoob.

The Hyundai filter looks very well built. Don't recall seeing any filtering efficiency specs for them, would be curious to know if it follows the same low efficiency design as other Asian car manufactures (Honda, Toyota, etc).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Hyundai filter looks very well built. Don't recall seeing any filtering efficiency specs for them, would be curious to know if it follows the same low efficiency design as other Asian car manufactures (Honda, Toyota, etc).

Someone has already posted efficiency numbers. If I remember correctly, it was in the 50% range at 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
In the UK OE Hyundai/Kia filters are twice the price of OE Subaru filters.

I assume this is different in the US if the poster above has used Hyundai/Kia filters on a Scoob.

I don't really care about the price. I would buy a Japanese made Subaru (Honda) filter. The problem is that they are not sold here, and a Hyundai filter is a perfect replacement. It may be even better than the Japanese one: it is heavier/stronger, has a silicone valve, huge amount of filtering media, and it looks nice.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's a pretty nice cut. Which filter cutter did you use ?

I think someone on a car list was making them up at one time. It's a home made one. The black allen bolt fits in the center hole and then you tighten it up. Grab the filter and start turning it.

oil-filter-cutter-top.jpg

oil-filter-cutter-bottom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back