Hyundai Sonata engine choices

The Sonata has been growing on me lately because of its conservative lines. I know the front end is love it or hate it though. The SEL trim is a lot of car for the money. What I have been reading is the Sonata hasn’t been selling to well and it might be cut from the lineup. You can get the SEL with two different engines. They have pretty much the same power output. These days, I rather have naturally aspirated 4 cylinder over a small displacement turbo 4. Here are the numbers on the two engines.

1.6T

180hp

195 lb/ft

191hp

181 lb/ft

The 1.6T is in the higher trims like the SEL Plus and Limited. The SEL Plus gets you standard 12.3 digital cockpit, upgraded cloth seats, panoramic moonroof, and 19 inch wheels.

BA532813-F761-4B07-B71B-CE43041FB477.jpeg

Every review I watched on the N line it has too much power to the front wheels. I guess Hyundai doesn’t know how to get rid of torque steer.

The 2.5 gets 28-38mpg

The 1.6T gets 27-37mpg

The turbo gets more torque down low compared to the 2.5.

The K5 doesn’t appeal to me because of the clientele that drive the Optima/K5 around. They are one if the worst when it comes to road manners. The insurance is probably higher because of this.

Every review I watched on the N line it has too much power to the front wheels. I guess Hyundai doesn’t know how to get rid of torque steer.

The 2.5 gets 28-38mpg

The 1.6T gets 27-37mpg

The turbo gets more torque down low compared to the 2.5.

The K5 doesn’t appeal to me because of the clientele that drive the Optima/K5 around. They are one if the worst when it comes to road manners. The insurance is probably higher because of this.
Same reason I don't hang out with people that wear any Nike clothing.

1. 2.5
2. N-Line
3. 1.6T

The Sonata's looks have grown on me too. I now prefer it to the K5

As fuel consumption is the same, I would go with the 2.5: probably more torque at low RPM and no eventual turbo failure.
Look in to your crystal ball and tell me what stocks to buy while you are at it.........

We have a K5 with the 1.6 engine and AWD. I am surprised by the torque of the engine. It is more than adequate to haul this 60+ year old butt around

Back