Hyundai experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: wymi516
Originally Posted By: ryland
I just bought a new Sonata Limited and I love it! Probably my favorite car I've ever had! Time will tell if that holds true. I have always been a huge honda guy but I love the build quality of the Hyundai. I crawled under it and everything is flawless. from the paint to the undercoating to the muffler. not a spec of rust or gobbs of undercoating. Every american car ive bought always has rust on it from the factory!

So Steve you would suggest a 5w30 over a 5w20? Ive heard 4 or five people say that so far so it must be true with the I4's. Would you suggest just a conventional 5w30? Do you know if it comes with 5w20 or 5w30 from the factory?

I tried a few different 5w-20's in our 2007 I4 Sonata both Synthetic and Regular oil. I finally hit on Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and the motor quieted down almost to the point of my V6 that has PP 5w-20 in it. 5w-20 appears to be the factory fill in Hyundai's. I also only use oem oil filters with 5k mile oci's.

Thanks for the info! I also got the link you sent me, I looked around a little bit but these not a ton of people active it seems but I need to look at it more. So when should I change to synthetic? If I use dino is 5w30 still the way to go? I've got 650 miles on it now and they're adding up fast!

I did our first oil changes at 3k miles on both cars. 5w-30 "dino", I hate that term "dino" will be fine. You might want to try Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5w-30, I used the 5w-20 Motorcraft in both motors and besides the I4 being noisy it seemed to work well. As far as just straight, here we go again "dino" I would pick Pennzoil if that was the type of oil I used. I'm stuck on the Pennzoil Platinum now and probably won't use anything else.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Did you have a look at the new Accords?? They look like something from Fisher-Price! I`m not impressed at all.They look very cheap now.

I've seen the 2009 Accord EX-L and think it's nicer than a comparable Sonata and Camry. The EXL has the best leather of the 3. The Camry looked way cheap.

The biggest program with Hyundais is their poor resale value. A one-year old Sonata that sold new for $17000 is now worth only $11500. Hondas have excellent resale value in this class. If you want to buy a 1-2 year old Sonata, there are literally hundreds of them out there on cars.com and craigslist. Most are former rentals, hence they are selling dirt cheap.

The poor resale value is why I'm reluctant to buy a new Hyundai but will consider a used one

If they are selling dirt cheap why would you waste money on a bloated price of a Honda?

Plus I like the Sonata's exterior looks compared to the Accord. The new accord is too chunky/long looking. The Sonata has nice smooth lines and sharp head/tail lights. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back