Hyundai Equus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai flirted with the luxo market last year with their Genesis, but in a month or so the full-on assault begins. When I was at the dealer yesterday doing the deal on the Entourage the salesman was telling me about the new Equus which is aimed squarely at the Lexus LS.

2011-Hyundai-Equus-42.jpg

hyundai-equusinterior.jpg

Originally Posted By: buster
Hyundai has come a long way.

They really have. And the local dealer is putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to the Equus. He's already got a brand new 2010 Lexus LS460 sitting in the middle of the showroom with its near $80,000 sticker in the window just waiting for the first Equus to arrive to put beside it so buyers can make a direct comparison.

NB: I sat in that "big" LS460 while I was there yesterday and felt cramped. I'll take the cavernous interior of my Chrysler 300, thank you very much.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Maybe hyundai should make a luxury division(new name). That's a really nice looking car. But that hyundai badge I dunno.

I agree. That's what Toyata and Nissan did in 1989 when they introduced Lexus and Infiniti. I'm convinced that if VW had done that with the Phaeton that car would have been a huge success. But who wants to spend $70,000 for a luxo car that has a huge VW emblem on the trunk?

I will tell you this, most of the Genesis models sold at my local dealer leave there with all the Hyundai badges shaved off and discreet "Genesis" badges in their place. They stock a full assortment of exterior Genesis badges and wheel center caps just for that purpose. They will probably do the same for the Equus (which only has one external Hyundai emblem on it any way).

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Maybe hyundai should make a luxury division(new name). That's a really nice looking car. But that hyundai badge I dunno.

I agree. That's what Toyata and Nissan did in 1989 when they introduced Lexus and Infiniti. I'm convinced that if VW had done that with the Phaeton that car would have been a huge success. But who wants to spend $70,000 for a luxo car that has a huge VW emblem on the trunk?

I will tell you this, most of the Genesis models sold at my local dealer leave there with all the Hyundai badges shaved off and discreet "Genesis" badges in their place. They stock a full assortment of exterior Genesis badges and wheel center caps just for that purpose. They will probably do the same for the Equus (which only has one external Hyundai emblem on it any way).

Which is really ridiculous. People need to come to the realization ghat they don't deserve everything. They change badges because they think they deserve a luxury car and are embarassed that they got a hyundai. If you're embarrassed, then why did they buy it?

I'd drive one (or a Phaeton). Hyundai has definitely done a lot over the last 10 years, and has gotten to the point where they can be known for making decent/good cars cheaply.

I don't think that a Lexus LS buyer would opt instead for a Hyundai.

Although I'm sure that the wooden dash is made using the finest trees available at the Chosun Kim Plastic Molding Factory, and the leather is made of the finest hides in stock at the Hyosung Kwan Vinyl Concern.

NB: I sat in that "big" LS460 while I was there yesterday and felt cramped. I'll take the cavernous interior of my Chrysler 300, thank you very much.
thumbsup2.gif

If an LS460 makes you feel cramped, then a vehicle along the lines of a Club Wagon might feel just right. The interior of the LS460 is enormous.

I don't have enough time to defend my make and my model line against every single point, but some of the points being made are spurious.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

thumbsup2.gif

If an LS460 makes you feel cramped, then a vehicle along the lines of a Club Wagon might feel just right. The interior of the LS460 is enormous.

I don't have enough time to defend my make and my model line against every single point, but some of the points being made are spurious.

All I can give you are my impressions. I felt cramped sitting in the driver's seat of the LS460 compared to my 300. Here's one example of what I'm talking about: In my 300 if I want to adjust the inside rear view mirror I have to lean forward to reach it. In the LS460 I could just reach up and adjust it while still fully seated. No leaning forward needed. The only dimension I saw where the LS460 beats my 300 is in rear seat leg room. Clearly you and I have different definitions of "enormous."

2010 300

Seating (Standard) 5
Seating (Optional) N/A
Tow Capacity (Standard) 1000
Tow Capacity (Maximum) 1000
Headroom (Front) 38.7
Headroom (Row 2) 38.0
Hiproom (Front) 55.9
Hiproom (Row 2) 55.9
Legroom (Front) 41.8
Legroom (Row 2) 40.2
Shoulder Room (Front) 59.4
Shoulder Room (Row 2) 57.7
Seating (Maximum) 5
Headroom (Row 3) N/A
Hiproom (Row 3) N/A
Legroom (Row 3) N/A
Shoulder Room (Row 3) N/A

2010 LS460

eating (Standard) 5
Seating (Optional) N/A
Tow Capacity (Standard) NR
Tow Capacity (Maximum) NR
Headroom (Front) 38.0
Headroom (Row 2) 37.9
Hiproom (Front) 55.4
Hiproom (Row 2) 55.5
Legroom (Front) 44.0
Legroom (Row 2) 37.6
Shoulder Room (Front) 58.5
Shoulder Room (Row 2) 56.9
Seating (Maximum) 5
Headroom (Row 3) N/A
Hiproom (Row 3) N/A
Legroom (Row 3) N/A
Shoulder Room (Row 3) N/A

I agree. That's what Toyata and Nissan did in 1989 when they introduced Lexus and Infiniti. I'm convinced that if VW had done that with the Phaeton that car would have been a huge success.

Are you suggesting VW creates a luxury brand? They already own one - it's called Audi.

The whole idea with Phaeton was retarded, IMO. They're just cannibalizing on the sales of Audi A8.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I agree. That's what Toyata and Nissan did in 1989 when they introduced Lexus and Infiniti. I'm convinced that if VW had done that with the Phaeton that car would have been a huge success.

Are you suggesting VW creates a luxury brand? They already own one - it's called Audi.

The whole idea with Phaeton was retarded, IMO. They're just cannibalizing on the sales of Audi A8.

Ferdinand Piech's vision of the Phaeton was for it to be the ne plus ultra in Germany luxury cars, surpassing anything offered by Audi and competing directly with the top of the line Mercedes S Class. The Phaeton was never originally intended to compete in the same market segment as the A8, though it wound up doing so. I believe Piech's vision for the Phaeton could have been realized if VW had done for it what Mercedes did for the Maybach: Make a brand out of it rather than just a model of the existing brand.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Ah yes, and we know what happened to Maybach...

What happened to Maybach?
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back