Hyundai and Kia fire recall

From the article. Makes no sense.

The problem: A component within the ABS system could short circuit and cause a fire. Neither automaker has yet determined the root cause of the problem.

The fix: Dealers will install new fuses in the affected vehicles’ ABS modules, free of charge, to mitigate the risk of a fire.

How perform corrective action if you don't know the root cause. Why will changing the fuse out mitigate the problem if they don't know the root cause.

Hopefully, no one was injured.

From the article. Makes no sense.

The problem: A component within the ABS system could short circuit and cause a fire. Neither automaker has yet determined the root cause of the problem.

The fix: Dealers will install new fuses in the affected vehicles’ ABS modules, free of charge, to mitigate the risk of a fire.

How perform corrective action if you don't know the root cause. Why will changing the fuse out mitigate the problem if they don't know the root cause.

Hopefully, no one was injured.
Yeah I read that too. Maybe the original fuse was too many amps? Seems odd to me as well.

Another reason not to buy a Hyundai / Kia. South Korea can do better than this.

"Previous recalls related to fire risk in Hyundai and Kia vehicles involved brake fluid leaks, faulty oil pans, fuel leaks, oil leaks, ABS sensor issues, HECU issues, and engine problems."

"Previous recalls related to fire risk in Hyundai and Kia vehicles involved brake fluid leaks, faulty oil pans, fuel leaks, oil leaks, ABS sensor issues, HECU issues, and engine problems."
I'm looking at buying a Tucson. The 2022 are really nice.

Wow, to have such a scary problem that the OEM doesn't really understand how it's happening. For some, parking outside will not be enough to allow sleep at night.

Yeah because nobody else has had issues like this.

Yeah because nobody else has had issues like this.

Touché, yet Toyota retains it's value and Hyundai / Kia end up in the junk yard / repo lot in 5 years. Value sinks harder than a used BMW / MB.

Touché, yet Toyota retains it's value and Hyundai / Kia end up in the junk yard / repo lot in 5 years. Value sinks harder than a used BMW / MB.
I'm an owner and what you say is simply not true. You save $ off MSRP-and then at resale time what you saved (vs. Toyo/Honda) is still bigger than the difference in resale value. (Yes-I have done the math). BTW-the 100,000 miles warranty is for 10 years-there would be no reason to "junk it" after 5 years. Do you have any other pearls of wisdom?

The fuse replacement is because they do not know the exact reason this is occurring, however corrosion may be an issue. The fuse is a smaller rated fuse, to blow faster, and reduce the chance of a fire until it can be figured out exactly what is causing the issue.

I'm an owner and what you say is simply not true. You save $ off MSRP-and then at resale time what you saved (vs. Toyo/Honda) is still bigger than the difference in resale value. (Yes-I have done the math). BTW-the 100,000 miles warranty is for 10 years-there would be no reason to "junk it" after 5 years. Do you have any other pearls of wisdom?
I didn't mean to offend any Hyundai / Kia owners but I stand by my opinion that I do not like them. Working in the automotive industry there is a stigma about these vehicles, at least in my experience. I guess that's why you can negotiate a better deal on them to help bring the value proposition up, but you probably need a heck of a deal to do that and to match the resale value. Hopefully this new generation with the Palisades takes off. I really want to see SK make it. I'm a Toyota / Honda guy so I'm pretty biased lol.

"If a vehicle is sold within the coverage period of its 10-Year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty coverage, the subsequent owner will receive the majority of the same protections for up to 5-years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first." - Most cars hit 60k in 5 years, so essentially used Hyundai's after 5 years have no warranty.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to offend any Hyundai / Kia owners but I stand by my opinion that I do not like them. Working in the automotive industry there is a stigma about these vehicles, at least in my experience.

I agree and I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS that has been rock solid aside from having incredibly dirty engine internals seemingly due to inherent design flaws. Hyundai/Kia simply does not have a good reputation and frankly never have had one. I agree that they do produce interesting products, however, said products withstanding the test of time en masse has been the collective downfall that has lead to the company's perception being so poor. I really do WANT to see them succeed.in the minds and hearts of consumers, industry influencers, sales professionals, etc but can understand why they don't.

HYUNDAI currently has 4 separate recalls for major fire concerns. That is a bit scary folks.

1) The Theta II rod bearing failure fires. Don’t believe me? Hyundai has a demonstration video on its website showing how a failed bearing can cause the piston rod to shoot out the block, causing a fire. YouTube is littered with videos. Just recently on the Hyundai forums someone just had this happen.

2) GDI HPFP fitting leakage fires. This has spanned across numerous model years, numerous models, and numerous engine families. Yes, even MY2021 vehicles have been recalled for this, as soon as they leave the factory.

3) ABS module fires. This has been ongoing for a couple years now, affects a staggering amount of vehicles now and apparently growing.

4) Catalytic converter fires. Hyundai/Kia installed flawed ECU tuning on many Gamma engine equipped vehicles. Under heavy load the catalytic converter is over worked and can cause a fire.

There you have it. FOUR SEPARATE recalls for fires. I really do hope Hyundai starts trending in the right direction. As a reminder I have a 2018 Hyundai Sonata purchased new, so I do want the company to be successful.

If this is true that's a good point. I for one, am not ready to own a Hyundai / Kia product yet as they are STILL having engine issues. Many love them and have good service though.

If this is true that's a good point. I for one, am not ready to own a Hyundai / Kia product yet as they are STILL having engine issues. Many love them and have good service though.
I understand your point of view, I felt that way for a long time. I will say Hyundai still lacks in overall build quality compared to most of the competition, but they have gotten better. I can walk around a Hyundai dealer lot and point out panel gap inconsistencies all day long. The competition is much better in that regard. You have to wonder what else is misaligned or sloppily put together if the body panels aren’t consistent.

Back