Hypothetical 0w20 vs 5w20 vs 5w30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions wanted

I know any decent brand full synthetic will suffice, but I want to know: given the same brand and line of oil, will one provide marginally better protection from wear, shear, heat dissipation or any other measure?

The specific engines I’m asking about are a JLR AJ133 and a honda K24
Both have timing chains. Both list 5w20 in the owners manual. Both would get filled with 0w20 at their respective dealerships for an oil change. I’m not sure about Honda but the official recommendation from JLR for my engine is now 0w20.
But I’m pretty sure the 0w20 is for fuel economy, and maybe even the 5w20 was picked with MPG in mind vs 5w30?

Since they are both well worn and out of warranty, I’m thinking 5w30 might ultimately provide the best longevity for the engine, which is the goal. I know the k24 is spec’d for that weight in much of the world, not sure about the AJ133. I live in SoCal and see 20F rarely when we visit the mountains in the winter.

There is likely no subject that’s discussed more on here than this topic. Perhaps do some searching and you’ll find multiple lengthy threads. You may also find one where I’ve collected the threads into a post.

Since they are both well worn and out of warranty, I’m thinking 5w30 might ultimately provide the best longevity for the engine, which is the goal.
I'd go with a good full synthetic 5W-30 of your choice without hesitation. If you live in a super cold winter wonderland, then go with a 0W-30 if concerned about very cold start-ups.

There is likely no subject that’s discussed more on here than this topic. Perhaps do some searching and you’ll find multiple lengthy threads. You may also find one where I’ve collected the threads into a post.
Thanks for the response. I’ve probably spent 40 hours researching motor oil the past week. And that is in addition to countless hours in the past before 0w20 became the new standard.

I’ll try to look for your compilation thread. Have you formed an opinion on the matter?

Most likely a properly maintained engine outlast ones ownership of the vehicle unless some mechanical failure happens and oil won't stop that. A well sealed air filter and intake plumbing is probably one of the most important items for long engine life and all things equal a 30wt offers more [protection] that a 20 WT Remember what does the oil do??? Oil's most basic function keeps the parts separated.

Opinions wanted

I know any decent brand full synthetic will suffice, but I want to know: given the same brand and line of oil, will one provide marginally better protection from wear, shear, heat dissipation or any other measure?

The specific engines I’m asking about are a JLR AJ133 and a honda K24
Both have timing chains. Both list 5w20 in the owners manual. Both would get filled with 0w20 at their respective dealerships for an oil change. I’m not sure about Honda but the official recommendation from JLR for my engine is now 0w20.
But I’m pretty sure the 0w20 is for fuel economy, and maybe even the 5w20 was picked with MPG in mind vs 5w30?

Since they are both well worn and out of warranty, I’m thinking 5w30 might ultimately provide the best longevity for the engine, which is the goal. I know the k24 is spec’d for that weight in much of the world, not sure about the AJ133. I live in SoCal and see 20F rarely when we visit the mountains in the winter.
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.......

2019 Charger SXT, 2022 RAM 1500 Classic, 2023 Challenger SXT all get Valvoline full synthetic 5W30. "All" are quieter. I like the HTHS 3.2. I've read all the "opinions" and the oil viscosity recommendations. All the owners manuals say you can use 5W30 if "no 5W20 is available". That's all I need to hear. 5W30 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back