Hybrid insurance going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds very obvious that they have high mileage drivers buying hybrids. No getting around the more miles driven the more chances of accident or traffic vioilation(s).

As more than one company gets into the business of battery manufacture,will the prices come down ?
Parts are always cheaper after the model has been around a while.Think the insurance co will lower the prices then?
Or base the premium on how long the battery has to live?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the excape battery is huge and very heavy. you need an engine hoist to get it out of the car.

Wow. Ford must be taking a very different approach to the battery in the Escape. Again the TB in a Prius is "only" 90 lbs or so. Here it is, as it sits in the car. For reference, note the rear seatbelts to the lower left-center of the pic, the spare, and then the opening for the hatch behind that. This is not my car -- picture plucked from the net.

Prius%20battery%20revealed-post.jpg

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
going up

Between all the extra miles and -tickets-?

I just got back from a 1,000 mile round-trip where I cruised on the highway at 60mph and lower.

I was surprised by the number of Hybrid vehicles that passed me on my journey, so it appears a few Hybrid owners are lead-footed which surprises me considering the whole idea is to save energy.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
going up

I just got back from a 1,000 mile round-trip where I cruised on the highway at 60mph and lower.

I was surprised by the number of Hybrid vehicles that passed me on my journey, so it appears a few Hybrid owners are lead-footed which surprises me considering the whole idea is to save energy.

Oh please. This reflects one of my favorite invalid criticisms of the hybrids. Guess what -- the cruising fuel economy of a hybrid is proportional throughout the speed range of the car, as it is with any other car. It does not, REPEAT, DOES NOT, suddenly disappear the moment the car tops 55 mph. As with any other car, the slower you cruise, the better your fuel economy, and the faster you cruise, the lower it goes. And again, as with any other car, you can choose to trade fuel for time, or vice versa. Why does this seem so hard to grasp for so many?
21.gif

Here, hybrid drivers go 100 weaving all over the freeway in and out of traffic. I thought they were supposed to be tree huggers, why are they speeding, don't they know their gas mileage now sucks?
smirk2.gif

wink.gif

Last edited:
I tried to tell you, EK (someone here) ..you may not know it ..but you're a collaborator
LOL.gif

A tree hugging sympathizer.

If you speed, you're a hypocritical tree hugging wannabe poser
LOL.gif

You need to straighten up. Drive a NEON that gets the same mileage that you will drive in the same manner and show your patriotism and say NO to anything as pinko as a hybrid.
grin2.gif

Burn up some gas for crying out loud!!

Originally Posted By: pzev
Here, hybrid drivers go 100 weaving all over the freeway in and out of traffic. I thought they were supposed to be tree huggers, why are they speeding, don't they know their gas mileage now sucks?
smirk2.gif

Still doesn't suck as much as it would have were they driving a comparable gasser. . .

And Gary, I'd respond, but I've got to go look for my chainsaw...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Still doesn't suck as much as it would have were they driving a comparable gasser. . .

I am having trouble grasping this....

we had an '07 PRIUS . A lead foot does have an impact on the 1.5 ltr. carrying almost 3,000 lbs. of weight , especially interstate or hilly terrain . The computer screen don't tell no lies . Just got the ECO-METER and that can't be lying as well . We have / had economy cars all these years to save money on gas , environment is second to that . The PRIUS being different from your average vehicle made it a fun car to drive . Seeing who could get the better mileage . Our neighbor mildly implied we're tree huggers when we had the '07 PRIUS . Just can't win . ;- )

Last edited:
smirk2.gif

And Gary, I'd respond, but I've got to go look for my chainsaw...
wink.gif

and I am getting my baby seal club

I am having trouble grasping this....

OK, awkwardly phrased. The guy cruising at 80 in a hybrid is still burning less gas than he would be if he were driving a comparable non-hybrid. Grasp improved?

If not, it is yet another MYTH that hybrids offer no benefit while cruising on the highway. While urban driving is the hybrid's strong suit, even on what appears to be flat terrain, the system still "does its thing." You can see it clearly on the displays. Beyond that, the Toyota hybrids use their VVT to allow Atkinson cycle operation, which makes them even more efficient -- even while cruising at high speeds.

Oh please. This reflects one of my favorite invalid criticisms of the hybrids. Guess what -- the cruising fuel economy of a hybrid is proportional throughout the speed range of the car, as it is with any other car. It does not, REPEAT, DOES NOT, suddenly disappear the moment the car tops 55 mph. As with any other car, the slower you cruise, the better your fuel economy, and the faster you cruise, the lower it goes. And again, as with any other car, you can choose to trade fuel for time, or vice versa. Why does this seem so hard to grasp for so many?
21.gif

Sorry ek, but I am messing with you. You seemed a little whacked out from everyone ignoring your comments, I thought I would keep it going :p

If not, it is yet another MYTH that hybrids offer no benefit while cruising on the highway. While urban driving is the hybrid's strong suit, even on what appears to be flat terrain, the system still "does its thing." You can see it clearly on the displays. Beyond that, the Toyota hybrids use their VVT to allow Atkinson cycle operation, which makes them even more efficient -- even while cruising at high speeds.

There is some truth to this. Not many people realize that the Prius hybrid has additional technology beyond energy regeneration. If you were to take out the energy regeneration portion of the vehicle, it would still be a very efficient vehicle over and above other econoboxes because of this additional technology.

21.gif

Sorry ek, but I am messing with you. You seemed a little whacked out from everyone ignoring your comments, I thought I would keep it going :p

Nah, my worst habit here is sounding more bitingly sarcastic than I really intend to be. And I will also admit that I long ago exhausted my patience with some of the really silly anti-hybrid myths. I hasten to add, your post does not fall into the category. Some think I'm a shameless apologist for the technology. I'm really not. I hope you saw my comments about battery cost in the Fords. Finally, I have enough work here policing the forums unseen, to worry that much about response to my postings.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas

There is some truth to this. Not many people realize that the Prius hybrid has additional technology beyond energy regeneration. If you were to take out the energy regeneration portion of the vehicle, it would still be a very efficient vehicle over and above other econoboxes because of this additional technology.

Yes. Makes me wonder why more engine makers are not using VVT to implement "on demand" or "when helpful" Atkinson cycle operation. Although overall I much prefer the Camry's more traditional instruments, since mine is not nav, I don't get the full energy screen like all Prii (nav or not) have. With that screen (much better than the mini display in the middle of my speedo), you can see what happens when you're "steady-state" on a flat highway. It will run "gas biased" for a while, which will cause the charge on the TB to gradually build up. Once it reaches a certain level, it will start "leaning" on the battery, drawing out the charge and feeding it through MG2 to provide a "drive assist". In the latter state, the rpms on the ICE drop, and mpgs go way up. Undisturbed, it will just cycle back and forth like this continuously. The Camry does this too, but you can only see it "inferentially" by watching the mpg needle mysteriously cycling up and down. Bottom line is that there really is no "gas only" steady state in these cars -- they're always trying to make best use of the two combined drive systems.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
going up

21.gif

It isn't the hybrid concept that I don't grasp... it is the thought process of the owner/driver that escapes me.

Driving in a spirited manner with a hybrid just seems to be wrong on so many levels...
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Most of the hybrid owners around here couldn't care one bit about saving gas, it's driving in the carpool lane as a single-occupant vehicle that they care about.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Most of the hybrid owners around here couldn't care one bit about saving gas, it's driving in the carpool lane as a single-occupant vehicle that they care about.

our governator stopped that one real quick. they just let all the special licenses expire and didnt renew them.

personally i would never own a hybrid, but thats me. nothing against them, but gas mileage is one of the lowest priorities when i look for a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back