Hagerty Insurance

Anyone using Hagerty Insurance for a classic-antique car?
Do they stay close with the initial quote or jack up the price once your engaged with them?

I have them for insurance of the F-450 in my sig. My old insurer had inexplicably changed the VIN on it to match an F-350, when I caught the mistake they didn’t want to insure it at all. I called Hagerty, even got a small amount of collision coverage, for a lot less money than my old insurer charged for liability only. Since it only gets driven a few times a year, I don’t foresee any problems with them. Might even consider moving the Grand Marquis to them, since it really doesn’t get driven much either.

I had them for my GS's and they were good. Quick to pay and also will stand behind you if you have trouble with a body shop or whatever. Case in point, I had windshield damage on my 72 Stage 1, they told me to get it fixed, I asked about coming out and looking at crack and they said well if its cracked why send someone out, just get it fixed.

Anyway, The shop installed the wrong windshield , my windshield had an internal antenna built into it and was tinted, I called Hagerty and they told me to call them when the correct unit was installed. The shop replaced the window and about 4-5 months later the shop called me and said Hagerty would not release payment to them. I called Hagerty and they said I was to call them when done for the final approval. My fault but Hagerty had my six!!:) I called the shop the next day and they said Hagerty contacted them and sent them the monies.

I am in process of looking at another muscle car and will use them again.

I started with Hagerty around 15 years ago. They make you do some homework. They want you to provide your driving record and a good photo of your vehicle, along with an agreed upon value of the vehicle.

I started with Hagerty around 15 years ago. They make you do some homework. They want you to provide your driving record and a good photo of your vehicle, along with an agreed upon value of the vehicle.
I had the same experience beginning in 2016. Straightforward and easy process, took some quality photos and had my quote within a day.

Never had to file a claim.

I suspect a string of sky-high Barrett-Jackson closing bids prompted them to call me one year and offer to increase my coverage by a substantial amount without any new photos or receipts. In the past I had declared value mainly with photos and very minimal receipts.

I have 5 vehicles under hagerty bad have been using them about 7 years now.

They have been good to me and are easy to do business with.

I get to pick my car value and they pick up the phone when I call them if I want to change something.

I have never had a claim so I can't speak to that. I did however use the towing part of the insurance and they had a flat bed tow truck show up and it was first class all the way with the tow service.

Good info and thanks. Can’t call myself “PontiacHO “ and not own a Pontiac!

IMG_4109.jpeg

Question, a few years ago I had inquired about insuring my 88 E-150 as a classic with State Farm who had my auto and HO policy at the time. My broker quoted a good price for the van, and once it went to under writing things changed, a lot. They wanted a timeline of how long it was going to take to restore, and put a cap on 6 months, so I dropped the idea, and dumped State Farm. Would a company like Hagerty Insure my van as a classic, and want a time line on the restoration? I would only be driving it about 2-3k miles a year and only want Liability coverage. Thanks.......

Mods if you feel I hijacked the thread please delete.

Question, a few years ago I had inquired about insuring my 88 E-150 as a classic with State Farm who had my auto and HO policy at the time. My broker quoted a good price for the van, and once it went to under writing things changed, a lot. They wanted a timeline of how long it was going to take to restore, and put a cap on 6 months, so I dropped the idea, and dumped State Farm. Would a company like Hagerty Insure my van as a classic, and want a time line on the restoration? I would only be driving it about 2-3k miles a year and only want Liability coverage. Thanks.......

Mods if you feel I hijacked the thread please delete.
They may insure it, due to low usage mileage and age. They don’t care if it is restored or not.

I believe they want all covered autos to be in a garage. If it is for work use, they may not cover it. They have a list of specifics, but some of that may vary by state.

They may insure it, due to low usage mileage and age. They don’t care if it is restored or not.

I believe they want all covered autos to be in a garage. If it is for work use, they may not cover it. They have a list of specifics, but some of that may vary by state.
Thanks for the info. It won't be used for work, and it will be either in the garage or on the driveway depending, most of the time inside the garage. I'll give them a call, are there any others worth shopping?

Thanks for the info. It won't be used for work, and it will be either in the garage or on the driveway depending, most of the time inside the garage. I'll give them a call, are there any others worth shopping?
I have used them and been pleased. There is also Grundy and American Collectors. I found Hagerty to be best combo of easy to deal with, reasonable requirements, & rates.

I have my classic VW's insured with Condon Skelley. Have had for at least 8 years and they are less expensive when I signed up. They allow like 2-3K personal miles. I have never had a claim.

They probably want their classics owned by someone rich enough to own a garage.

I once had Condon & Skelley, now I have Hagerty. No price surprises with either.

For a genuine classic car, they all have stipulations: mileage limits, parking and garage requirements, documentation.

For example, I had to submit detailed photos of the Packard, it has to be kept overnight in a garage, I’m limited to 3,000 miles per year, it can’t be driven as a work/commuter car.

I have most of the fleet below on Hagerty and we just put my Wife's new 911t on the policy.

As others have mentioned, they require pictures and that the car be garaged with an address provided, you have another vehicle for daily use and restrict daily use of the covered car. Their rates are very fair and much less than non-collector insurance in Massachusetts. They recently liberalized their restrictions on off road use and will allow it in limited circumstances, and because of that we did just move the old Rovers to Hagerty. My policy doesn't have a hard mileage limit, but I think I remember being told 3,500 was a guideline. I find their service for adding and dropping cars to be very good, excellent in fact.

I'll recommend Hagerty w/o reservation.

I have them for insurance of the F-450 in my sig. My old insurer had inexplicably changed the VIN on it to match an F-350, when I caught the mistake they didn’t want to insure it at all. I called Hagerty, even got a small amount of collision coverage, for a lot less money than my old insurer charged for liability only. Since it only gets driven a few times a year, I don’t foresee any problems with them. Might even consider moving the Grand Marquis to them, since it really doesn’t get driven much either.
Is thete a year or model stipulation to use them? Whenever I hear hagerty I think of old packards, Cords model T owners.

I used Hagerty for a few years. To have an umbrella liability policy with USAA, I was made to switch to American Collectors.
Hagerty had restrictions like mileage driven and locked garage. I also wasn't allowed to leave the car unattended in a public parking lot. That put a cramp in my style, but with flatbed tow trucks everywhere it's understandable.
American Collectors has fewer restrictions which they tell you about upfront. I should prolly give the policy a good looking over.

My Club Sport is insured with Hagerty; my policy allows it to be driven without a lot of restrictions. I can even drive it to work a few times per year.

I had my last Chevelle insured with JC Taylor for almost 20 years. In 2009 I had an accident when the right front tire blew out and
before I could get car under control and stopped it had shredded the front passenger fender and part of the aero-front end of
the car. I was so happy when they reminded me I had a zero deductible policy. JC Taylor paid a local Chevy dealership over $5,000
to find an oem fender and to repair body work and paint the front end. I had Hagerty in the past and never needed them for any claim.
I just found JC Taylor to be cheaper by the year and much less restrictive on what I could and could not do. I was required to keep the
car locked in a garage when not in use.
3417130-900-0.jpg

Back