Hybrid insurance going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smokey1
not shocked , we've seen PRIUS owners drive like they were in the DAYTONA 500 . Yesterday we were watching a PRIUS tailgate and pass many drivers on a county road . Then they wonder why the mileage doesn't match the estimated mileage on window sticker . :- )

I generally find the Prius drivers [Miami-Fort Lauderdale] are the safest drivers.

we owned an '07 PRIUS and drove conservatively . Still do with the YARIS . Like to milk the gas tank . :- )

Originally Posted By: smokey1
not shocked , we've seen PRIUS owners drive like they were in the DAYTONA 500 . Yesterday we were watching a PRIUS tailgate and pass many drivers on a county road . Then they wonder why the mileage doesn't match the estimated mileage on window sticker . :- )

Why does everyone assume that hybrid drivers are supposed to be totally passive "Type-B s" who are never in a hurry????

If you drive a hybrid, your fuel economy benefits don't suddenly and completely vanish as soon as you go above 55 mph. Actually, the fuel savings are roughly proportional, all the way up to the fuel cutoff.

OK, so this guy was late for a doctor's appt, or a critical sales presentation, or maybe he/she was rushing a sick kid to the ER. Like any other normal person, he is going to drive faster than normal. This does not undercut the utility or benefit of a hybrid. So maybe the guy loses 10% mpgs -- but he's already way ahead to begin with.

Me losing 10% mpg in the city would mean going from 35-ish mpg down to 31-32 mpg. Still waaaaaaaay ahead of the city mpgs of a regular I-4 gasser Camry.

I recently bought a used 2007 Prius, and so far I'm very impressed with it. I'm not a treehugger. I got a good deal on it, and I like the technology, roominess, comfort, etc. I do like the 50mpg also.
The smartkey is so cool, and I like the bluetooth, homelink, etc.

I'm told that Toyota sold the last generation hybrid technology to Ford, now that they came out with the 3rd generation Prius. Toyota seems to clearly be the leader in hybrid technology.

I'm thinking that as that one person commented in the article, the common sense reason for increased mileage of Prius owners is that once you own one, you tend to drive it more and you leave your other car, a gas guzzler home more.....

As already said, the hybrid replacement rumors are overblown. They are hardly ever replaced, and if needed, not a huge cost. The warranty on them are at least 100,000 miles/7 years or more dependent on what state you live in. Certainly not a reason to avoid buying one. I also heard all of the urban legends, and a few months ago if you told me I'd own one I would have told you you're nuts. After doing the research, and then driving some, I realized it was just what I wanted. I love the car now and glad I bought it.

They are not for everyone, but then what car is? I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Prius and like them both.

Frank

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Toyoda selling tech to Ford is also a urban legend

Oh no it's not. Toyota has licensed their HSD technology to both Nissan and Ford, and both car makers used it to put cars on the road. Reams have been written about this, on the net and off. Just a quick excerpt from the first of several dozen links my first cursory google search generated:

Quote:
Because Toyota has the hybrid patent market on straight lockdown, it's likely that rival automakers will be forced to license certain parts of the Japanese automaker's design, which could potentially help boost Toyota's bottom line. Says Gouichiro Kuriyama, a manager in Toyota's product planning division:

Our system is the best technology for hybrids to get the best carbon dioxide emissions and best fuel economy. [Rivals] will not be able to compete.

Indeed, both Ford and Nissan have licensed Toyota hybrid technology in the past. Both of those automakers, though, already have or are planning new hybrid systems and fully electric vehicles of their own design.
From autobloggreen.com.

Bloggs dont count.
They both came to a agreement- ours is so close to your patent that we should talk.
(Ford)
We need your direct injection tech(Toyoda)
Deal
Happens all the time.
They reams of internets blather not withstanding.

MSRP on -08 hybrid escape traction battery is 8560.12
MSRP on 09+ hybrid escape traction battery is 8198.89
MSRP on Fusion hybrid battery is 4686.81

prices are as of this date according to SnapOn Proquest.

From those prices I would expect the Escape battery to have about twice the capacity of the Fusion battery.

Does anyone know the voltage/amp-hour ratings for:

The Escape hybrid battery
The Fusion hybrid battery

and, just to see if Ford is really overpricing these replacements,

The Prius hybrid battery.

In lieu of voltage/amp-hour ratings, the weight of the battery pack would be a good indicator of it's capacity.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
MSRP on -08 hybrid escape traction battery is 8560.12
MSRP on 09+ hybrid escape traction battery is 8198.89
MSRP on Fusion hybrid battery is 4686.81

prices are as of this date according to SnapOn Proquest.

A great relief to see that the Fusion battery is less expensive. Now, let's see if they can work it down some more as time goes on. If they get it a grand to two lower, and they've got the car well sorted out, I'll consider one when I decide it's time to "recycle" the Camry.

FWIW, the Prius battery weighs about 90 lbs by itself, IIRC. I'll get on TIS this evening and see if I can ferret out any specifics about the output (for the TCH too, as that's probably a better comparison against the Fusion).

The way things are going, that battery price is probably going to go up (along with the prices of everything else).

Lead went up in price significantly, and so the car battery that used to cost $60 just 5 years ago now costs $90. Ditto for copper, copper wire is much more expensive than it used to be. I don't suppose that nickel is immune to these price increases.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The way things are going, that battery price is probably going to go up (along with the prices of everything else).

Lead went up in price significantly, and so the car battery that used to cost $60 just 5 years ago now costs $90. Ditto for copper, copper wire is much more expensive than it used to be. I don't suppose that nickel is immune to these price increases.

To top it off the guys in Sudbury are on strike(nickle miners)

Originally Posted By: brianl703

I purchased for work a few $M of a copper and nickel alloy.

May 2008 to Jan 2009, the price dropped nearly 40% (In $Oz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back