HVAC guys, advice on filters please chime in!

I'm likely buying a house with a Carrier furnace, and I noticed the filter size is large, a 16x25x4 inch beast! Furnace is a Carrier model number 58MTB080-16 for reference.

Have a bunch of 16x25x1 inch filters. Can I use them instead, just changing more frequently. Or even stack 2 or several together?

Thanks. P1080530.JPGP1080604.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like you might have the optional air purifier, does it also have a slot above that for the 1" filter?

Otherwise then yes, it's a 4" filter and 16x25 can be bought usually at HD or Lowes.

Mine is a 16x20x4 and I have bought then from FiltersFast.com.

You can also find higher MERV ratings than what's avail at the brick and mortar stores.

Our last filter was a MERV-15 and was $77, but lasted about 7-8 months.

HTH

Sounds like you might have the optional air purifier, does it also have a slot above that for the 1" filter?

Otherwise then yes, it's a 4" filter and 16x25 can be bought usually at HD or Lowes.

Mine is a 16x20x4 and I have bought then from FiltersFast.com.

You can also find higher MERV ratings than what's avail at the brick and mortar stores.

Our last filter was a MERV-15 and was $77, but lasted about 7-8 months.

HTH
IMO a MERV 15 is way too high....I like them between 4 and 8

I've got 6 Merv 10 filters size 16x25x1. I'm asking if these could be used alternatively to the 4", since the slot is large enough to accommodate the larger size.

TAKE NOTE!! Sounds silly, but there are actually different sized 16X25X4 furnace filters. Make sure you get the right one.

Looks like the low MERV because fan motor stress comments already started.

Trion Air Bear, Lennox, Honeywell.. may state 16X25X4 or whatever, but there can be a gap if you get the wrong one. Be cautious.

Example:

Replacement for 4-3/8 Depth Honeywell, Bryant, Carrier & Lennox Filters.
ACTUAL SIZE: 15-7/8 x 24-3/4 x 4-3/8 | NOMINAL SIZE: 16x25x4

VS

16x25x4 A/C Furnace Air Filter.
Actual Size: 15-1/2 x 24-1/2 x 3-3/4

I'm likely buying a house with a Carrier furnace, and I noticed the filter size is large, a 16x25x4 inch beast!

Have a bunch of 16x25x1 inch filters. Can I use them instead, just changing more frequently. Or even stack 2 or several together?

Thanks.View attachment 84863View attachment 84864
If you stacked them you would starve your furnace for air . 3 would equal Merv 30 .

It's an area thing - the 4" filters allow a lot more airflow while still filtering the air. ALL 1" filters suck and are too restrictive which puts necessary strain on the fan. You can NOT stack filters as each one will double the resistance to airflow. This is NOT what a 4" filter is doing - it is not 4 1' filters - it's still a single filter membrane, just much larger and pleated to fit the duct size. Don't be cheap - use the 4" filters.

That filter cabinet on your furnace takes what carrier calls an EZ Flex filter. You can also just run a standard 16x25x1 if you want. Home depot sells Honeywell 16x25x4 filter that fit that cabinet almost perfectly. But as mentioned above not all 4" filters are the same size which can be confusing. The 16x25 part will be standard but it seems like everyone has their own definition of what 4 inches is.

That filter cabinet on your furnace takes what carrier calls an EZ Flex filter. You can also just run a standard 16x25x1 if you want. Home depot sells Honeywell 16x25x4 filter that fit that cabinet almost perfectly. But as mentioned above not all 4" filters are the same size which can be confusing. The 16x25 part will be standard but it

seems like everyone has their own definition of what 4 inches is.

More confusing when you typo'ed and said 16x25x1 is ok. :whistle:

IMO a MERV 15 is way too high....I like them between 4 and 8
I agree, the house does have a different smell of "clean" with the 15 but nothing to write home about...but they don't last as long as a MERV 8-10.

Sorry OP, I didn't see the pic of your setup when I posted.

Carrier used to include a metal bar for those cabinets to allow 1 inch thick filters to be used in place of the EZ flex filter. Not sure why thats confusing?
see you even confused me ;)

So you are saying its ok to run a 1" filter.. wouldnt that be vastly more restrictive than a 4"? How is that ok?

Back