Husqvarna AWD with a Honda engine

Have a Husqvarna AWD with a Honda engine on it. The carb is clean, the flywheel key is intact, and the blade and mount are tight and right. An initial view under the valve cover shows nothing remarkable (nothing loose or slipped off). It has spark, compression and air, but won't start. When you pull it over, it sounds like it's backfiring through the carb a bit or the head gasket is blown. I don't see a seam for where the head attaches. It acts like the flywheel key is sheared or the blade is loose. Neither is true. Ideas? This is the Honda that has the plastic, geared wheel visible when you pull the valve inspection cover off. School me please.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
was it working ok the last time you used it? Are you SURE the compression is ok? An intake valve tappet without enough clearance could make the backfiring through carb sound. Was any parts changed since it ran last? I once fought with an OHV briggs most of a day, wouldn't even try to run, finally changed out the one part it couldn't be-- the new spark plug the owner had Put in. Started first pull. I have found that when everything checks ok, and it still won't run, it is something that checks ok, but it isn't.
You say the flywheel key is ok. Have you actually taken the flywheel off an checked the key?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by qjohn
In the picture, the fuel valve is off.

+1

Does it fire on carb cleaner?

Does it have auto-choke? The auto choke is a known weak point on the GCV engines that have it.

In the video, the fuel valve appears to be in the off position, and typically fuel will not get into the carb when the valve is off. Have you tried turning it to the 'on' position?

uh fuel valve is off in the video not going to start that way.

also the auto choke on those is horrible. I used to help my neighbor cold start his by holding the lever on the autochoke until it started.

he threw his out and bought a clearance 100 mower at walmart.. liked it more apparently.

Try using starting fluid after you drain the carbs float bowl. Check the spark plug.

The fuel shutoff is still in the 'Off" position. The white shutoff should be horizontal, not up and down when it's on. Did you try a shot of starting fluid or dribbling some fuel directly into the carb?

L8R,
Matt

Back