Hub Buster

Does anyone have experience with this type of product for removing sealed wheel bearing/hub assemblies?

Does anyone have experience with this type of product for removing sealed wheel bearing/hub assemblies?

I think. @atikovi has one, or one similar.

Got one for a Saturn Vue. Better than nothing but still no picnic. Be sure you put a jack under the control arm otherwise the recoil absorbs the impacts instead of the hub,

Saturn Vue wheel hub and bearing tool 1.JPG

Adding forcing screws helped a lot,

Saturn wheel hub and bearing tool 2.JPG

Since that experience I've bought the Astro Last Chance tool,

71mUJYrIBBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and a knockoff Lisle hub tool,

71RQRcpCbVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can't wait to try them out.

Last time I did that job on a Saturn Vue I ended up taking the whole knuckle in and had it pressed out at a shop...guy running the press said he maxed it out several times before it finally broke loose.

My Dad has one of these. He's generally had favorable experiences with it. I however have only used it once myself on the front hub of my Pap's 2002 GMC truck. Even with a 12-pound sledge I couldn't get the hub out with it. A harbor freight chief air hammer ended up getting the assembly loose.

My indy has one of those he made himself-last time I was over he was beating the DOG SNOT out of an Exploder one. Something about aluminum & steel, dissimilar metals=corrosion city.

My indy has one of those he made himself-last time I was over he was beating the DOG SNOT out of an Exploder one. Something about aluminum & steel, dissimilar metals=corrosion city.
Yeah I watched a vid on those Exploder bearings-- they're infamous.

I'm with Trav -- there’s rarely one guaranteed method of success, esp when rust comes into play. Oftentimes it's a combo of BFH, blue wrench, air hammer, rust penetrant, inductor, sage smudging and perseverance.

For this reason I want a multitude of options in my quiver, esp when they're relatively inexpensive like the tool in question.

Won’t take explorer bolt in hubs off. Have to remove the knuckle and press it out 90% of the time.

Reactions: D60
On some of the old Subaru cars in the rust belt sometimes it is cheaper to just replace the knuckle instead of fiddle farting around for hours. At (IIRC the last ones I did) $113ea it just isn't worth the time and aggravation/frustration. I have seen guys set CV boots on fire, break bolts off and ended up in a much worst place.

Revival for an alternate use: I needed to pull a solid axle forward to align the center pin in the spring perch. This worked pretty well to give me some extra leverage to muscle the housing around
20231124_172849.jpg

Back