Quality wheel hub brand?

I would go BCA. At least the rear wheel bearings/hubs on 1G RLs are identical to OEM. The OEM lasted 220K miles and 20 years in the rust belt. However, asking around on Camry forums are your best bet for getting info.

No probs. My theory is that as long as they are made straight and true, fit well, and have good studs pressed in, it shouldn't matter too much what brand.

No probs. My theory is that as long as they are made straight and true, fit well, and have good studs pressed in, it shouldn't matter too much what brand.

Same! Febi is pretty renown with the Audi and Mercedes guys but I know things differ when you get into the Japanese market

FWIW, I bought three rear SKF bearing/hub assemblies for my 07 Mazda 6. The first one was stamped "made in USA", it made a gritty noise when spun in my hand. I returned it and bought two "made in China" versions. All were the exact same part number.
The right rear was the only wheel grinding, but it made sense to me to replace the rear bearings as a pair. The bearing (right) wouldn't slip onto the spindle and had to be lightly tapped into place with a block of wood and a mallet. It made a grinding noise from the first rotation. When I pulled the assembly off it completely separated, exposing the balls.
The third bearing assembly slipped on without resistance and has functioned well over the last 5 months.

If I had to do it again, I'd go Timken.

Last edited:
FWIW, I bought three rear SKF bearing/hub assemblies for my 07 Mazda 6. The first one was stamped "made in USA", it made a gritty noise when spun in my hand. I returned it and bought two "made in China" versions. All were the exact same part number.
The right rear was the only wheel grinding, but it made sense to me to replace the rear bearings as a pair. The bearing (right) wouldn't slip onto the spindle and had to be lightly tapped into place with a block of wood and a mallet. It made a grinding noise from the first rotation. When I pulled the assembly off it completely separated, exposing the balls.
The third bearing assembly slipped on without resistance and has functioned well over the last 5 months.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Where did you buy those bearings from?

Reactions: Yuk
A local parts store (Bumper to Bumper) in Edmonton. They were great, no quibbling, they just exchanged/refunded the parts without question. Cheers

Glad you finally got it all good and ready for the road. But wow what a headache..

Reactions: Yuk
Glad you finally got it all good and ready for the road. But wow what a headache..
Yeah, it would have really sucked if I didn't own multiple cars.

Going to a "professional" mechanic doesn't guarantee you'll have good outcome either. I recently had to replace the clutch assembly on the same car, that was only 35,000 kms old. The original shop charged me for a full clutch kit, the new shop showed me all of the parts that came out. The inspection revealed that the release/throwout bearing hadn't been replaced.
Even though I know a lot about cars and most often can spot a scam artist, I can still get scammed.
The thieves always seem to be one step ahead of us.

Yeah, it would have really sucked if I didn't own multiple cars.

Going to a "professional" mechanic doesn't guarantee you'll have good outcome either. I recently had to replace the clutch assembly on the same car, that was only 35,000 kms old. The original shop charged me for a full clutch kit, the new shop showed me all of the parts that came out. The inspection revealed that the release/throwout bearing hadn't been replaced.
Even though I know a lot about cars and most often can spot a scam artist, I can still get scammed.
The thieves always seem to be one step ahead of us.

I hate to agree but I have to.. Had the same thing happened to me back in 2016 with my Mustang. I needed to replace my clutch but my first child was going to be born at that time and I didn’t want to get caught up with it. So I paid a known Mustang repair shop to do the job and gave them a box of everything. Long story short he stole my throwout bearing and trans mount and never changed out the pilot bearing. He re-used my TO bearing and slapped in a worn mount from another New Edge Mustang he had there… Boy did I raise hell lol

A lot of people have complained about this over the years and there is usually nothing to it. I have use SKF for decades and can honestly say not one premature failure. Their hubs are machined right and true, they fit as OE and have the same material hardness.

SKF GHG contains many performance-enhancing additives, some of which are in the form of soft crystalline structures when the grease is new. These crystalline structures can create a rough, coarse feeling when the hub bearing is first turned by hand, before the bearing has experienced significant rotation

A lot of people have complained about this over the years and there is usually nothing to it. I have use SKF for decades and can honestly say not one premature failure. Their hubs are machined right and true, they fit as OE and have the same material hardness.

@Trav are the bearings that come in the SKF bearing hub combo different than the SKF bearing that is sold separately for my application (2000 Camry V6)?

I don't doubt that there could be some truth to what you are saying. In my case, the SKF rep, contacted by my parts store, conceded that the two bearing assemblies I returned were defective... including the one in the video.

I got just some skf bearings, 2 of them have skf stamped on them, 2 of them have inj ilin or something stamped on them. The ones with the skf stamped on them feel better and seem better made.

Regardless, this didn’t make me feel good. I sent some pictures to the genuine at skf fraud department and they replied today saying he sees nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless I created the return already and will be shipped back tomorrow back to RockAuto. I think I’ll be going with BCA instead. This is for a Jeep Cherokee trailhawk (which uses the same part for all four corners)

I got just some skf bearings, 2 of them have skf stamped on them, 2 of them have inj ilin or something stamped on them. The ones with the skf stamped on them feel better and seem better made.

Regardless, this didn’t make me feel good. I sent some pictures to the genuine at skf fraud department and they replied today saying he sees nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless I created the return already and will be shipped back tomorrow back to RockAuto. I think I’ll be going with BCA instead. This is for a Jeep Cherokee trailhawk (which uses the same part for all four corners)
Iljin bearings are fine. I believe they are an OEM and usually made in South Korea. I have seen FAG/Schaffler rebox them, and they also make some Genuine GM bearings.

SKF probably reboxes some part numbers as needed to fill demand.

Made in Japan KOYO bearings are one of the very best in my experience.

Would they be on BCA wheel hub offerings?

BCA seems to be the option that is more expensive than SKF. But is it actually better quality/less fakes?

Had one front wheel bearing and hub replaced on my 2005 Yukon 4x4 with one from Oreilly. Hasn't been a year and already making noise.

Back