Harbor Freight Cut-Off Wheels?

Any of you guys have experience with Harbor Freight 4 1/2 inch cut-off wheels? Are they any good? There's one guy on YouTube that says he had problems with the metal center hub ring ripping out of the fiber portion of a Hercules. So I figure if the Hercules is no good then there's no point in trying a Bauer or Warrior. I've been using some Radnor wheels from Airgas which are very good, but they're pricey at over $3 a piece.

I never had an issue with the cheap Warrior ones other than they seemed to wear down a little quicker than some Dewalt ones that I had. Can't complain for the price, but if you are cutting very hard things like suspension bolts they will wear down quicker.

Hey thanks guys. I bought a 25 pack of Benchmark Abrasives. I'll let you know how well they do.

I recently needed a cutoff wheel for a control arm project. The local independent store didn’t have Diablo wheels. And HF is actually the closest, so I bought one. It wore down super fast.

IMG_4747.jpeg

Not sure if it really matters as a consumable, I saved a lot of time going there. HD isn’t close to my spare garages. But I’d rather be prepared with a Diablo.

I recently needed a cutoff wheel for a control arm project. The local independent store didn’t have Diablo wheels. And HF is actually the closest, so I bought one. It wore down super fast.
I had a Diablo that worked very well and lasted a long time, but strangely enough, they're rated very poorly on Amazon. Some of the guys there said Diablo isn't what they used to be. I'm disappointed because I was planning on buying a whole pack.

HF sells a bunch of different inhouse brands, the warrior grinding wheels wore way faster than the HERCULES ones in my experience.

Are the Horror Freights .060 or .045? I won't touch an .060 anymore, they cut so poorly.

Usually to get the thinner wheels you've gotta step up to quality like Sait (although Dewalt and others also market some)

I've been using these, they're ok but not fantastic:

Also Fireball did a vid about proper technique. If you bury the wheel in the cut it doesn't live as long. Much like a circular saw you want it just penetrating the work but not much more (primarily applicable to sheetmetal and plate)

I have had a cheap corded HF cut off wheel for about 5 years now, has gotten me out of several issues with stuck or rusted suspension bolts etc. I just used it a few days ago to remove a stubborn press in nut on a power washer wheel that disintegrated. The sparks are especially cool.

Back